Author Topic: REPAIR GUIDE - Super CDROM2: Total capacitor replacement chart  (Read 6737 times)

pnauts

Re: REPAIR GUIDE - Super CDROM2: Total capacitor replacement chart
« Reply #75 on: December 20, 2015, 05:06:54 AM »
Hi guys,

I try to help someone who did recap a SCDR² and it don't works in RGB now.
the cable works fine with the core.
I asked him to try simple link from expansion port (with its Sodipeng cable)
there is just CVBS for sync, 0V and 5V for fast blanking in Scart 16, then 2 colors through the Sodipeng.
here are the results the colors are added and saturated there is no additive colors.

the CVBS works fine when pin 16 is removed, all in grey with 3 colors when plugged.
Any idea ?
« Last Edit: December 20, 2015, 05:10:30 AM by pnauts »

thesteve

« Reply #76 on: December 20, 2015, 07:43:54 AM »
that tv  (FS120?) doesnt do RGB

pnauts

« Reply #77 on: December 22, 2015, 04:11:59 AM »
nope, it was a problem with the sodipeng amp not wired, so is problem fixed for RGB, but still a little sync problem, when CVBS is connected directly from expansion port to SCART 20 it works (original wire from DIN cable is removed), when cable is normally use and a wire cabled between expansion port and pin 3on the Din there is some deformation/waves on a side of the TV

edit: fixed.

Another one.
Lens go up and down, beam is visible then "set disc" message ?
The SCD² was recap by a non professional of the job.
« Last Edit: December 22, 2015, 10:18:00 AM by pnauts »

SegaSonic91

« Reply #78 on: December 28, 2015, 02:41:14 AM »
I just bought a SG+SCD2.  I was wondering if the SCD2 is as bad as the DUO and MCD cap wise?  DUOs ALWAYS need re-capping, did the SCD2 use the same shitty SMD caps as the DUO or is it a bit better in the cap department?  I will re-cap it anyway, I just want to know if I will face something as bad as the DUO I bought a while back.  Several caps had corroded the board so badly, they had fallen off.  I have to use the vias for those because the pad has been eaten away.  If the SCD2 is in the same boat as the DUO/MCD/Game Gear, I will make sure I have the caps ready, on hand once the system is on its way to me.

BlueBMW

« Reply #79 on: December 31, 2015, 04:48:59 PM »
In my experience the SCDROM2 is just as bad as the Duos etc but we havent seen it as much since its a little bit newer of a unit and less common.
[Sun 23:29] <Tatsujin> we have hard off, book off, house off, sports off, baby off, clothes off, jerk off, piss off etc

MNKyDeth

« Reply #80 on: December 31, 2015, 05:05:48 PM »
I bought a SG+SCD2 about a month or two ago. It needed the caps replaced. The caps did not damage anything yet but they were leaking.

I recap all NEC consoles I come in contact with now. Even if they work and/or technically don't need it. Imo it is just a smart move. I even recapped the SuperGrafx Even though it worked just fine.
« Last Edit: December 31, 2015, 05:09:01 PM by MNKyDeth »

thesteve

« Reply #81 on: December 31, 2015, 09:30:59 PM »
these have sound issues from the residue due to trace proximity, so be sure you get it washed good

SegaSonic91

« Reply #82 on: January 02, 2016, 01:20:19 PM »
Thanks for the info, guys.  About the area of the board with low clearance, what is the best way to replace those caps without using wires?  Is it OK to use ceramic SMD caps there?  Is there something different you would all recommend?

MNKyDeth

« Reply #83 on: January 02, 2016, 02:00:49 PM »
Here are some pics of the area on my Super CD-Rom 2 unit.

The way the expansion board is laid out the caps are just behind the other ones on the main PCB. There is one cap in that area on the bottom at C63? but I used a ceramic cap in that spot so clearance was not an issue. I cut the legs short on the caps that go on the expansion board then bent the legs into a "L" shape and soldered them on.

I used Nichicon audio caps on the expansion board except on C604 and C610. I used ceramics in those two spots.

I use this to measure stuff when working on these consoles.
http://mnpctech.com/pc-mod-tools/pc-mod-ruler/pc-modder-ruler-and-gauge.html

thesteve

« Reply #84 on: January 03, 2016, 05:31:27 AM »
i use ceramics for most of them and clearance is not a problem

SegaSonic91

« Reply #85 on: January 05, 2016, 09:28:43 PM »
Here are some pics of the area on my Super CD-Rom 2 unit.

The way the expansion board is laid out the caps are just behind the other ones on the main PCB. There is one cap in that area on the bottom at C63? but I used a ceramic cap in that spot so clearance was not an issue. I cut the legs short on the caps that go on the expansion board then bent the legs into a "L" shape and soldered them on.

I used Nichicon audio caps on the expansion board except on C604 and C610. I used ceramics in those two spots.

I use this to measure stuff when working on these consoles.
http://mnpctech.com/pc-mod-tools/pc-mod-ruler/pc-modder-ruler-and-gauge.html

Nice!  Thanks for the pics.  Does not seem so bad now, and if I cannot get caps to fit, I know that ceramics are fine.

pnauts

« Reply #86 on: January 25, 2016, 08:52:44 AM »
I don't understand why people don't use SMD electrolytic Cap with same footprint as original, make it simple dude !

blueraven

« Reply #87 on: January 25, 2016, 09:10:02 AM »
if the laser just moves up and down check the tracks to make sure that the grease hasn't dried up. I would replace the laser if the problem continues past changing the caps. I had the exact same problem with A SCDROM2 a few years ago.

Ceramics are a lot better than you're giving them credit. They don't leak, and give you a lot more space on the inside if you're doing any modding.
[Thu 10:04] <Tatsujin> hasd a pasrtty asnd a after pasrty ASDFTERTHE PARTY
[Fri 22:47] <Tatsujin> CLOSE FIGHTING STREET; CLOSE FORU; CLOSE INTERNETZ; CLOSE WORLD; CLOSE UNIVERSUM
--
Arkhan [05:15pm]: ill brbl im going to go make another free game noone plays lolol

schweaty

« Reply #88 on: December 15, 2016, 09:35:03 AM »
Gents,

whats the value of this cap in the pic?  you can see the pads in the pic, but its not on the chart.  thanks!

-dan

BlueBMW

« Reply #89 on: December 15, 2016, 10:18:50 AM »
I believe in the units I've worked on that cap location was left empty.
[Sun 23:29] <Tatsujin> we have hard off, book off, house off, sports off, baby off, clothes off, jerk off, piss off etc