Author Topic: The Wii U  (Read 8215 times)

Mathius

Re: The Wii U
« Reply #15 on: June 07, 2011, 05:32:13 PM »
Nintendo and myself could really kiss and make up if they would just realize that IMO nothing, and I mean NOTHING, can be as accurate as having a comfortable controller in your hand, fingers pressing buttons, d-pad, and/or manipulating an analog stick (flight sticks, roller balls, etc. are an exception in that they provide a very specific function). I think the advent of the NES pad is the single defining reason why games are as popular as they are in that they give the user complete control over what is onscreen. Honestly, I don't think that there will ever be an exception to this in the future, unless you like being up off the couch dancing around the living room like a dingbat. I prefer to be comfortable, with old-school controller in hand.

There, that's my rant for Wednesday, June 8th 2011.
F@ck Ebay Club member since 2010
Switch Friend Code: SW-2346-3388-5406

Keranu

« Reply #16 on: June 07, 2011, 05:54:54 PM »
I don't know about the rest of you, but I am getting sick and tired of recent E3's showing off no new original games whatsoever. Every title I saw at Nintendo's this year was either a sequel or remake, just like the years before it. (Star Fox 64 3D? Why not just make an entirely new Star Fox and ditch the ridiculous title name!)

Art doesn't come from sale numbers and we can't expect any new foundations to be laid unless companies start taking risks. The one thing I respected most about Nintendo is that they've usually been the only big company to take any risks in recent generations, but the focus has been on hardware rather than software. How long are we going to continue using first person engines until a totally new genre comes along to begin a new era of gaming?

I think the real changes in gaming will eventually come from independent developers because of its growing communities and lack of financial loss if a game doesn't sell. Indeed, the gaming industry has headed in the same direction as Hollywood.
« Last Edit: June 07, 2011, 05:58:43 PM by Keranu »
Quote from: Bonknuts
Adding PCE console specific layer on top of that, makes for an interesting challenge (no, not a reference to Ys II).

Tatsujin

« Reply #17 on: June 07, 2011, 07:25:09 PM »
Wiiuiuiuiuii!
www.pcedaisakusen.net
the home of your individual PC Engine collection!!
PCE Games coundown: 690/737 (47 to go or 93.6% clear)
PCE Shmups countdown: 111/111 (all clear!!)
Sega does what Nintendon't, but only NEC does better than both together!^^

TheClash603

« Reply #18 on: June 07, 2011, 07:32:04 PM »
Looks pretty rad to me, and I like the name.

It would be great if the controller was something you could take around with you, and it was the new Gameboy.  I already bought the 3DS, but I would be okay if Nintendo decided this was the future in portability instead.

Let's hope the controller does more than a VMU.

ParanoiaDragon

« Reply #19 on: June 07, 2011, 09:15:28 PM »
I think there are some neat idea's there, but, it's still pure gimmick.  I'm alot more interested in the PSV, that thing is grabbing my attention more & more!  And it doesn't seem gimmicky to me.  Maybe if it had come out several years ago with the touch screen & all, but I actually like the touch pad idea in the back of the PSV, it feels inventive & unique, without being a gimmick or a copy of something else....though, only time will tell depending on what developers do with it!

_joshuaTurbo

• Global Moderator
« Reply #20 on: June 08, 2011, 01:09:16 AM »
Imagine super monkey ball with using the controllers touch pad as a roller ball!

The more I see of this, the more I at least want to try it.

_joshuaTurbo

• Global Moderator
« Reply #21 on: June 08, 2011, 01:13:46 AM »

DragonmasterDan

« Reply #22 on: June 08, 2011, 02:49:39 AM »
I don't know about the rest of you, but I am getting sick and tired of recent E3's showing off no new original games whatsoever. Every title I saw at Nintendo's this year was either a sequel or remake, just like the years before it. (Star Fox 64 3D? Why not just make an entirely new Star Fox and ditch the ridiculous title name!)

That's an industry wide problem. The reality of the situation is this, people love franchises and people beg for sequels and starting a brand new franchise can be a risky proposition as things like name recognition help. I remember a few years ago looking through a top 20 selling game list, the only new (as in started within the previous 3 years) franchise on that list was Assassins Creed. The investment to produce Triple A titles continues to climb as development costs go up and companies are less and less willing to take risks. It's not JUST Nintendo.

Art doesn't come from sale numbers and we can't expect any new foundations to be laid unless companies start taking risks. The one thing I respected most about Nintendo is that they've usually been the only big company to take any risks in recent generations, but the focus has been on hardware rather than software. How long are we going to continue using first person engines until a totally new genre comes along to begin a new era of gaming?

Yes, but MOST game companies aren't trying to produce art, they're trying to generate a profit.

I think the real changes in gaming will eventually come from independent developers because of its growing communities and lack of financial loss if a game doesn't sell. Indeed, the gaming industry has headed in the same direction as Hollywood.

Of course, the same goes with film, music and any other art, the big boys are mostly interested in what is proven to make money.
--DragonmasterDan

Raizen1984

« Reply #23 on: June 08, 2011, 04:26:36 AM »
I think it's good that the industry is trying new things.  That looks like one heavy ass and expensive controller though.

Joe Redifer

« Reply #24 on: June 08, 2011, 06:02:32 AM »
Quote from: turboStar

Imagine super monkey ball with using the controllers touch pad as a roller ball!

As a Super Monkey Ball fan, I say this with all sincerity and seriousness... that is a HORRIBLE idea!  And one that will likely come to fruition.  Damn you, Sega!  The Gamecube analog stick is the single best way to control Monkey Ball.  It does not need any additional control gimmicks.

Keranu

« Reply #25 on: June 08, 2011, 07:09:29 AM »

That's an industry wide problem. The reality of the situation is this, people love franchises and people beg for sequels and starting a brand new franchise can be a risky proposition as things like name recognition help. I remember a few years ago looking through a top 20 selling game list, the only new (as in started within the previous 3 years) franchise on that list was Assassins Creed. The investment to produce Triple A titles continues to climb as development costs go up and companies are less and less willing to take risks. It's not JUST Nintendo.

Yes, but MOST game companies aren't trying to produce art, they're trying to generate a profit.

Of course, the same goes with film, music and any other art, the big boys are mostly interested in what is proven to make money.
Not sure if you were disagreeing with me there or not. I wasn't putting any blame solely on Nintendo, they're still the company I respect most today for at least trying to be different. Can't have a beloved franchise without starting from scratch.
Quote from: Bonknuts
Adding PCE console specific layer on top of that, makes for an interesting challenge (no, not a reference to Ys II).

DirkFunk

« Reply #26 on: June 08, 2011, 08:22:08 AM »
From what i have seen. . . I am not interested.

I'm sick of Zelda, Mario, etc. . . They're always the same with some (usually very minor) tweaks.

I'm sick of gimmicks.

I am also sick of sequels, Call of Duty, Halo, Uncharted, Gears of War etc. . .

Downloadable games seem to offer the most interesting (and fun) experience right now.

The only retail game I am looking forward to is Skyrim (Which, is a sequel).

thrush

« Reply #27 on: June 08, 2011, 09:51:08 AM »
This is actually kind of what I envisioned a Dreamcast 2 controller would be like.
Exactly my thought on seeing it.

I think it is kind of neat and futurtistic.  I hope the quality of it is nice though.
[…]
It looks like if they do the games right, it will be awesome.
I agree; I think the hardware is very forward-thinking and the design is slick.  But I think the proof will be in the software, and I'm not holding my breath.

Looks pretty rad to me, and I like the name.

It would be great if the controller was something you could take around with you, and it was the new Gameboy.  I already bought the 3DS, but I would be okay if Nintendo decided this was the future in portability instead.

Let's hope the controller does more than a VMU.
Also agreed.  I'm glad I'm not the only one who thinks the name is alright.  ^^

Overall, I thought all three major players had some interesting things on show (I also liked the looks of the PSV) but I couldn't help feeling underwhelmed by the game lineups that each displayed.  I agree with DragonmasterDan & Keranu: following the money cannot help but lead to a certain level of mediocrity as it necessitates aiming for a low common denominator.

Having said that, I'll admit I'm a little excited by the idea of a Sly 4....

jperryss

« Reply #28 on: June 08, 2011, 11:53:48 AM »
Quote from: turboStar

As a Super Monkey Ball fan, I say this with all sincerity and seriousness... that is a HORRIBLE idea!  And one that will likely come to fruition.  Damn you, Sega!  The Gamecube analog stick is the single best way to control Monkey Ball.  It does not need any additional control gimmicks.

The fact that the game was played with literally JUST an analog stick, and was still incredibly fun and very challenging, was a big part of it's charm IMO.

I hated the Wii version and constantly wished I could play it with a GC pad or nunchuck.

On the DS version I settled for the d-pad as I hated it with touchscreen controls.

Joe Redifer

« Reply #29 on: June 08, 2011, 12:09:04 PM »
Quote from: jperryss

I hated the Wii version and constantly wished I could play it with a GC pad or nunchuck.

Agreed!  Oh man, I despise that Wii version.  It could have been pretty good with an analog control option.  The 3DS version DOES have the analog control option and it plays pretty well, but it is really, really easy.