Author Topic: 2011 Turbo Homebrew Discussion (Was: CCAG 2011 Footage)  (Read 2663 times)

spenoza

Re: CCAG 2011 Footage
« Reply #15 on: June 19, 2011, 10:39:41 AM »
SFII style line scrolling floors only work like that because the screen only scrolls a little bit left and right. It doesn't loop and it only scrolls so far.

I disagree. I've seen a number of games that use such effects to mimic a cloud plane or water surface. Line scrolling shouldn't be too CPU intensive, either. Again, what I'm specifically describing might look dumb, but I'd need to see it, and I don't think your "it only works because..." reasons are necessarily accurate.
<a href="http://www.pcedaisakusen.net/2/34/103/show-collection.htm" class="bbc_link" target="_blank">My meager PC Engine Collection so far.</a><br><a href="https://www.pcenginefx.com/forums/" class="bbc_link" target="_blank">PC Engine Software Bible</a><br><a href="http://www.racketboy.com/forum/" c

sunteam_paul

« Reply #16 on: June 19, 2011, 10:43:02 AM »
The bottom areas of parallax are front-on buildings and structures. I'm not visualising what you're proposing here.

However, a watery effect on the blue coral background might look cool.
The PC Engine Software Bible
Quote from: Tatsujin
I just felt in a hole!

BlueBMW

« Reply #17 on: June 19, 2011, 10:56:00 AM »
Sign me up for any homebrew HuCard games that are made :D
[Sun 23:29] <Tatsujin> we have hard off, book off, house off, sports off, baby off, clothes off, jerk off, piss off etc

spenoza

« Reply #18 on: June 19, 2011, 11:42:40 AM »
The bottom areas of parallax are front-on buildings and structures. I'm not visualising what you're proposing here.

OK, here is a VERY crappy rendition of what I'm trying (apparently badly) to describe.

<a href="http://www.pcedaisakusen.net/2/34/103/show-collection.htm" class="bbc_link" target="_blank">My meager PC Engine Collection so far.</a><br><a href="https://www.pcenginefx.com/forums/" class="bbc_link" target="_blank">PC Engine Software Bible</a><br><a href="http://www.racketboy.com/forum/" c

turbogrfxfan

« Reply #19 on: June 19, 2011, 11:48:38 AM »
awesome!!!  im excited to get these games
"is everyone from jersey a trolling douche?"

Arkhan

• Fuck Elmer.
    • Incessant Negativity Software
« Reply #20 on: June 19, 2011, 12:13:58 PM »
I had planned for wigglewater but have to think of a good way to do it that I like.

I still dont understand what you mean at the bottom there though.  What do you want the row of buildings closest to the blue background to do?
[Fri 19:34]<nectarsis> been wanting to try that one for awhile now Ope
[Fri 19:33]<Opethian> l;ol huge dong

I'm a max level Forum Warrior.  I'm immortal.
If you're not ready to defend your claims, don't post em.

SignOfZeta

« Reply #21 on: June 19, 2011, 12:20:40 PM »
SFII style line scrolling floors only work like that because the screen only scrolls a little bit left and right. It doesn't loop and it only scrolls so far.

I disagree. I've seen a number of games that use such effects to mimic a cloud plane or water surface. Line scrolling shouldn't be too CPU intensive, either. Again, what I'm specifically describing might look dumb, but I'd need to see it, and I don't think your "it only works because..." reasons are necessarily accurate.

Now that I think about it, Galaxy Fight (Neo Geo) uses infinite line scrolling. It does it with simplistic repeatable patterns though, not actual objects. So it could be done, but not with the sort of foreground that is in this game. I think Macross 2036 does it too, but I can't remember. It would be nice to see it used somewhere in this collection, if not in this specific game. I love line scrolling. In fact, just as my friend and I were waiting to get into this very show we were talking about what a bummer it was that line scrolling floors disappeared from fighters right around the time of Street Fighter Zero, and how that was kind sad.

ParanoiaDragon

« Reply #22 on: June 19, 2011, 12:30:33 PM »

OK, here is a VERY crappy rendition of what I'm trying (apparently badly) to describe.

What you want, is the same effect used on the floor of levels in Defender 2000 for the Jaguar:

Arm

« Reply #23 on: June 19, 2011, 12:39:40 PM »
For SF 2, I think he's referring to the separate horizontal layers forming the ground (in the foreground) which scroll as you move right or left in order to simulate the perspective of the scene when the camera follows the character.
I suppose you could recreate this as an animation loop (horizontal layers forming the ground scrolling) to simulate the ground perspective as the cam follows the ship to the right or left.
Or to mimic some kind of ripple effect for the water or clouds
« Last Edit: June 19, 2011, 01:01:08 PM by Arm »

Arkhan

• Fuck Elmer.
« Reply #24 on: June 19, 2011, 01:34:58 PM »
the games already doing that... lol

do you mean scroll something that ISNT the buildings?

Arm

« Reply #25 on: June 19, 2011, 01:52:04 PM »
What I mean by that is that the grounds in SF2 have a skewed perspective and are comprised of horizontal layers which move to simulate the skewed perspective movement. (the star's perspective moving on the ground in guile's stage)

Most shoot em up use classic layer/overlay scrolling to simulate a multiplane effect.
The principle is the same, but visually it looks different.
« Last Edit: June 19, 2011, 01:55:54 PM by Arm »

spenoza

« Reply #26 on: June 19, 2011, 02:24:21 PM »
the games already doing that... lol

do you mean scroll something that ISNT the buildings?

Yes! Have something DIFFERENT between the top part of the background and the faster scrolling buildings on the bottom. The Defender 2000 link actually demonstrates what I was thinking pretty well.

Hey, what screen resolution are you using for this game?
« Last Edit: June 19, 2011, 02:26:22 PM by spenoza »

touko

« Reply #27 on: June 19, 2011, 09:59:33 PM »
What I mean by that is that the grounds in SF2 have a skewed perspective and are comprised of horizontal layers which move to simulate the skewed perspective movement. (the star's perspective moving on the ground in guile's stage)

Most shoot em up use classic layer/overlay scrolling to simulate a multiplane effect.
The principle is the same, but visually it looks different.

It's impossible to do with huc scroll function ..
You must use an hsync interrupt to make that ..

And i think that this defender demo was make speedly to show something at CCAG ..
Some sprites problems can be resolved simply by arranging graphics datas on screen IMO.
« Last Edit: June 19, 2011, 10:03:15 PM by touko »

TheOldMan

« Reply #28 on: June 20, 2011, 12:17:36 AM »
the sky is the limit with space on a card, but also, there are physical limitations. AFAIK you can just slap a dickload of ram on there
Please get the terms right. There is NO RAM on the board. It is all ROM.

There are only 20 address lines on the connecctor, so 1Mbyte is the ROM size limit. Unless you want to design a map register chip, and all the logic to map it into an i/o area?

Theoretically, you -could- have infinite ROM. Practically, you can have 1M.

Arkhan

• Fuck Elmer.
« Reply #29 on: June 20, 2011, 03:03:30 AM »
Right now its rocking default res, but I *might* crank it up.  I haven't decided.  Right now its pretty nice looking.  

Did you have an idea of what to put there for this skewed perspective stuff? Cause I sure don't.  I blow at art/concepts involving it for the most part

It's impossible to do with huc scroll function ..
You must use an hsync interrupt to make that ..
Thats why I wont be using much of the HuC stuff probably.  Though you can just go in and modify HuCs functions.  Its not like we havent done that crap before, lol.

And i think that this defender demo was make speedly to show something at CCAG ..
Some sprites problems can be resolved simply by arranging graphics datas on screen IMO.

No they can't.  Its not as simple as you think.

You realize this is an empty demo.  This is just the background/scenery... even if you arrange it optimally for what is on screen now, once you introduce a full amount of enemies that shoot at you, you will have issues again.  There can be a pretty fair amount of things on screen in defender style games.

Its going to involve a bit more planning/rethinking of some things, and probably some trickery and magic.

Please get the terms right. There is NO RAM on the board. It is all ROM.

whoops, thats what I get for playing MMOs and forums at the same time, lol.

I meant ROM :D  .  Ive pulled enough of those out of carts and stuff to know what they are called, haha.  Man, tons of RAM would make no sense as far as putting a big game on there.  lol

"THERES THE GAME!" *turns off the console* *turns it back on* CRAP WHERED THE GAME GO! o_O

and yeah in theory you can definitely have as much as you want (even says so in the docs!).  but you have to make sure you have the card designed to handle a massive amount of ROM.  You can't just shove a huge rom chip in place of a tiny one and have it automagically fall into place.  

Maybe one day, but for now, keeping it simple, effective, and working is the goal.

If we can't even reproduce the most basic of hucards realistically, there is zero point in planning for balls to the wall SF2 or larger sized cards.  We'd be shooting ourselves in the feet/faces for attempting it!

« Last Edit: June 20, 2011, 03:16:40 AM by Arkhan »