Author Topic: 2011 Turbo Homebrew Discussion (Was: CCAG 2011 Footage)  (Read 2659 times)

Arkhan

• Fuck Elmer.
    • Incessant Negativity Software
2011 Turbo Homebrew Discussion (Was: CCAG 2011 Footage)
« on: June 18, 2011, 05:37:53 PM »
Heres some footage, bitches.

I will add the other links as they upload, or just get them from the channel once youre on youtube.

« Last Edit: June 21, 2011, 05:11:37 PM by nat »
[Fri 19:34]<nectarsis> been wanting to try that one for awhile now Ope
[Fri 19:33]<Opethian> l;ol huge dong

I'm a max level Forum Warrior.  I'm immortal.
If you're not ready to defend your claims, don't post em.

roflmao

Re: CCAG 2011 Footage
« Reply #1 on: June 18, 2011, 05:45:23 PM »
Awesome.

TheClash603

« Reply #2 on: June 18, 2011, 06:00:19 PM »
Catchy tune!  Looks good so far, keep up the good work.

SuperPlay

« Reply #3 on: June 18, 2011, 08:09:22 PM »
Nice work, dam I now have that tune stuck in my head ;-)

lord_cack

« Reply #4 on: June 18, 2011, 10:58:13 PM »
Very Nice Work. I thinks that going with the under water theme, and Sunteam_Paul art work, is great! The Chip tune is awesome and just overall Im impressed.

I must say everytime I see the games from Retrocade, Im glad I had the opportunity to be a part of it! That being said, you need anymore work done, let me know  :D
A dark tide will rise and she will walk again. He is coming.....

shubibiman

« Reply #5 on: June 19, 2011, 01:18:27 AM »
Ooops! Double post, sorry.
Self proclamed Aldynes World Champion

shubibiman

« Reply #6 on: June 19, 2011, 01:18:51 AM »
Nice work being done here! I love the paralaxe. I can see by the theme you chose that you're a big fan of the greatest PCE game ever : Deep Blue!
Self proclamed Aldynes World Champion

Arkhan

• Fuck Elmer.
« Reply #7 on: June 19, 2011, 04:31:52 AM »
I love deep blue.

Once I get home today from fathers day stuff I will be putting up an Insanity X video, and another video.   4 CCAG videos.   

yay

spenoza

« Reply #8 on: June 19, 2011, 07:41:25 AM »
You know, I had a though. What if that first layer of tile-based parallax were a line-scroll, ala SF2 floors, connecting the main BG to the faster-scrolling bottom trim? Since you're doing this underwater, I keep wanting some kind of line scroll effect to either simulate water or depth. It certainly doesn't need it, but I'm greedy.
<a href="http://www.pcedaisakusen.net/2/34/103/show-collection.htm" class="bbc_link" target="_blank">My meager PC Engine Collection so far.</a><br><a href="https://www.pcenginefx.com/forums/" class="bbc_link" target="_blank">PC Engine Software Bible</a><br><a href="http://www.racketboy.com/forum/" c

Arkhan

• Fuck Elmer.
« Reply #9 on: June 19, 2011, 08:41:37 AM »
do you mean scroll two parts at same speed?  I am not sure what you mean exactly, lol.

anyway, more videos in about 10 mins

spenoza

« Reply #10 on: June 19, 2011, 09:20:39 AM »
You know how the floor warps in some fighting games, most notably SF2? Well, what if there was a faster scrolling border at the bottom of the screen with the sea monkeys, and the larger background scrolls at a slower speed, and then there's a space between them where you use line scrolling to make it look like there's a "floor" of sorts that connects the faster bottom background to the slower main background area. It might be that, when implemented, such a thing would look stupid, but in my head I imagine it looking cool.
<a href="http://www.pcedaisakusen.net/2/34/103/show-collection.htm" class="bbc_link" target="_blank">My meager PC Engine Collection so far.</a><br><a href="https://www.pcenginefx.com/forums/" class="bbc_link" target="_blank">PC Engine Software Bible</a><br><a href="http://www.racketboy.com/forum/" c

sunteam_paul

« Reply #11 on: June 19, 2011, 10:11:40 AM »
Questions questions questions....!!

How practical would it be to produce those HuCards for an actual release? How much would it add to the cost of the game?
In theory, how much memory can you fit onto one that a real PCE could actually use? Could you have cards rivalling the storage of a CD-Rom, but with the instant access they provide? I assume there would be limitions still in place due to VRAM or something?
The PC Engine Software Bible
Quote from: Tatsujin
I just felt in a hole!

SignOfZeta

« Reply #12 on: June 19, 2011, 10:12:56 AM »
SFII style line scrolling floors only work like that because the screen only scrolls a little bit left and right. It doesn't loop and it only scrolls so far.

Arkhan

• Fuck Elmer.
« Reply #13 on: June 19, 2011, 10:30:47 AM »
Questions questions questions....!!

How practical would it be to produce those HuCards for an actual release? How much would it add to the cost of the game?
In theory, how much memory can you fit onto one that a real PCE could actually use? Could you have cards rivalling the storage of a CD-Rom, but with the instant access they provide? I assume there would be limitions still in place due to VRAM or something?

the sky is the limit with space on a card, but also, there are physical limitations. AFAIK you can just slap a dickload of ROM not RAM (lol oops) on there, but that would involve more planning/design/costs/etc.

The  more you put on there, the more you have to worry about physically, obviously.... but doing these kind of games will be no real problem or concern.

I want to move forward with HuCards as a release. I have ideas for how to produce/sell them and have them be presentable (instead of janky boards!).  

I thought Atlantean would be great for a HuCard game.

If it goes well, the bar can be raised.... We could do larger cards, bigger games....

but I prefer starting small and making sure its even do-able, and popular.

If it is done, the first wave would be small quantities, to see how much interest there really is.
« Last Edit: June 20, 2011, 03:18:04 AM by Arkhan »

sunteam_paul

« Reply #14 on: June 19, 2011, 10:35:36 AM »
It would be really interesting to calculate what is cost effective. If we are looking at massive capacity compared to existing HuCards, I imagine you could do stuff on them that could possibly make them a good choice over CD Format (more animation, tons more BG tiles etc) without the system card limitiations. Quite an exciting thought.
The PC Engine Software Bible
Quote from: Tatsujin
I just felt in a hole!