Author Topic: The Anime Thread: Finding Good Anime  (Read 30611 times)

DragonmasterDan

Re: The Anime Thread: Finding Good Anime
« Reply #420 on: July 23, 2015, 05:20:31 AM »
Princess Mononoke is a pretty stellar movie overall, and one that I normally use to introduce people to anime who are curious about it.  Production values are great, story is solid and less contrived that most Ghibili stuff, plus even though it takes place in Japan a lot of the concepts are pretty relatable for many people. 

I liked it a bit more when it was called Hols: Prince of the Sun.

While their movies are often very good, I think there a lot more recent movies that are also quite good.  Miyazaki et al are not the only game in town.

Really good movies I enjoyed recently are like The Girl who Lept through Time, 5 centimeters per second, and of course Summer Wars.

Summer Wars is suuuuuch a good, fun movie.  It feels almost perfectly balanced with characters, multiple stories, comedy/drama plus really well done animation.  Has anyone else here seen it?

Three excellent choices, I have DVDs of all three.

Summer Wars is my least favorite of the three. The second life that the world economy is apparently almost entirely built around that's completely insecure through me off of the concept.
--DragonmasterDan

xelement5x

« Reply #421 on: July 23, 2015, 10:51:03 AM »
Princess Mononoke is a pretty stellar movie overall, and one that I normally use to introduce people to anime who are curious about it.  Production values are great, story is solid and less contrived that most Ghibili stuff, plus even though it takes place in Japan a lot of the concepts are pretty relatable for many people. 

I liked it a bit more when it was called Hols: Prince of the Sun.

While their movies are often very good, I think there a lot more recent movies that are also quite good.  Miyazaki et al are not the only game in town.

Really good movies I enjoyed recently are like The Girl who Lept through Time, 5 centimeters per second, and of course Summer Wars.

Summer Wars is suuuuuch a good, fun movie.  It feels almost perfectly balanced with characters, multiple stories, comedy/drama plus really well done animation.  Has anyone else here seen it?

Three excellent choices, I have DVDs of all three.

Summer Wars is my least favorite of the three. The second life that the world economy is apparently almost entirely built around that's completely insecure through me off of the concept.

With Summer Wars I felt like the characters were much more distinct and memorable than the other movies.  Yeah the whole digital system thing seemed a bit out there, but I mean I could see something similar with as connected to smartphones as people are now.
« Last Edit: July 23, 2015, 11:00:22 AM by xelement5x »
Gredler: spread her legs and push her down to make her more lively<br>***<br>majors: You used to be the great man, this icon we all looked up to and now your just a pico collecting 'tard...oh, how the mighty have fallen...<br>***<br>_joshuaTurbo: Sex, Lies, Rape and Arkhan. A TurboGrafx love story

BigusSchmuck

« Reply #422 on: July 23, 2015, 11:10:18 AM »
Robot Carnival. Enough said.

SignOfZeta

« Reply #423 on: July 23, 2015, 12:44:26 PM »
I'm going to be perfectly honest here and say that I didn't really read the post I just quoted. It's way way too f*cking huge. It's ridiculous to expect anyone to read that.

I did want to ask a question though. What on earth makes you think the WP article (which I saw the other day) somehow applies totally to me but somehow not to yourself? You're much more aggressive with people than I am these days. The wind kinda left my sails a few years ago, not sure why. I certainly don't have the energy to write up page long fake quotes of someone.

I'll try to keep this short.

I don't care what you think of any movie. It doesn't matter. All these Ghibli movies are beloved world wide. Someone not liking one of them doesn't matter. Their image is still pristine.

When I said you were a psychopath, it wasn't because of what you thought of the movie as a movie. It just wasn't. You can obsess over how you think this is about me not approving of your taste, but that's not it. Taste doesn't matter. I called you a psychopath because your reaction to the movie was like a review of a super bowl commercial. Nobody reviews Schindler's List or Three Kings completely removed from the circumstances of the subject matter. I've never read a review of The Great Dictator That didn't mention Hitler. These things just can't be separated.

You did that though. You just brushed that dust off your jeans...like Grave of the Fireflies was a less funny version of Kiki's Delivery service. Anyone who can see a movie that unpleasant and not even comment on how hard it is to watch is pretty f*cking numb to humanity. Psychopath? Maybe just autistic. Maybe you're so patriotic you can't allow yourself to be drawn into a movie that portrays the Asia pacific campaign as anything but holy. I don't know what it is, I just know it's f*cked. I've talked about this movie with a lot of people, and I've read a lot of reviews of it. Nobody is "meh" about this movie unless they are in the John Birch Society or they have Ass Bugers. I mentioned it. I didn't mean it even as an attack but as an observation. How could you have such a half ass "meh" attitude about something so powerful? Oh, it wasn't powerful for you? Well, that sorta proves my point. You're emotionally impaired. Abject human misery rolls over you like water. Great. I'll remember that and not mention it again for fear of massive explosions from the parts of your soul that actually do exist.

I'm sorry you feel insulted by my diagnosis. I'm sorry your opinion of me is somehow in a constant state of flux. I don't know why you care. I don't know why you stuck up for me in some dumb chat with who the f*cker ever. I don't know what was said about me, why is stuck up for me, why now you aren't, or why you have such a huge emotional stake in this forum politicking crap.

A lot of people here can't stand me (a lot more would, but I don't post as much anymore) but I believe I have a decent reputation as someone who is honest about saying what they feel. I would never belabor a point by changing my story to win some sort of argument. Regardless of how inappropriate my comment was, I *genuinly* did not call you a psychopath for not liking a movie I like. I wouldn't have said anything it if it were any number of movies I like much more than Fireflies. My "psychopath" comment was used on you for the same reason I'd use it for people who own all the Faces of Death movies or who run over squirrels in their pickups on purpose or who won't donate money to a worthy cause because they used a tacky font in their flier. If you want to be pissed off at me for armchair mental health diagnosis, fine, but this fallacy you keep repeating, that I call people crazy if they don't have identical taste in movies...it isn't true. It just isn't. If it were, I'd admit it.

I failed to keep this short. I'll admit to that too.

OK, from the top, the review of his crazed psycho fanboy behavior :

* Person A pops in a thread to share an opinion on a movie (of the anime variety in this case):
I saw that a few weeks ago actually. It's not my favorite in their library, but it was alright. I can't recall seeing an anti-war anime before so that was a first.

* Person B, apparently so butthurt by the above opinion has a crazed, emotional overreaction and pops in said thread to assault Person A's character in this way:
First off, anyone who isn't completely reduced to a blubbering wreck by GotF is a certifiable psychopath. I always knew, now you've given us proof.

As for anti-war anime...I guess you haven't seen very much anime.

So, Person B calls Person A a psychopath, claims his above opinion on a movie gives proof of it, adds in the fact that he has baggage associated with the view to back it up (the "I always knew" addition), etc. whatever that is...

* In a great twist, Person B now accuses Person A of an overreaction to that level of character assault over a brief opinion on not really being a fan of a particular movie... Imagine if Person A had outright trashed the movie!

So the guy is 100% clearly in the wrong. Case closed on that! Firebombs a perfectly civil thread, then plays stupid and blames the target's reaction (e.g. "no no no, forget me, his reaction! his his his!!!")! The above analysis/conclusion is unimpeachable, to borrow his word!

But now fast forward to present behavior. We see a continued troll strategy. It appears it'll be to drag focus away from his crazed, emotional, PMS-vaginal overreaction to a perfectly civil opinion on the movie in question, and try to focus on his mark/target to repetitiously repeat the same charge of psychopath, in other words, not only will he not apologize, he instead is digging in and this could be due to several reasons. It may be his arrogance/bigotry/pride is so far gone, it's literally impossible for him to admit any wrongdoing and/or he is revealing traits of a genuine sociopath, etc. He hopes others will seriously take the bait in this strategy and engage with him to aid in this whole pathetic, immature, petty exchange he caused!

GUYS, HELP!!

I JUST...DON'T UNDERSTAND... I JUST DON'T...

NEVERMIND THAT I'M A GREAT BIG OLE VAGINA THAT COULDN'T HANDLE THIS MASTERPIECE OF AN ANIME ONLY BEING THOUGHT OF AS "ALRIGHT" IN TERMS OF QUALITY! IT'S A GODDAMN MASTERPIECE AND ANYONE WHO SAYS OTHERWISE CAN SUCK MY LEFT ONE AND DIE!!!!!! DIE I SAY!! DIE!!!!!

BUT SERIOUSLY, WHY WOULD ANYONE GET ANGRY BEING CALLED A PSYCHOPATH AND THEN "EXPLODE" BY CALLING ME A PSYCHOPATH AND TELLING ME TO GO F--K MYSELF ???

I JUST... I JUST DON'T UNDERSTAND...

I'VE BEEN CALLED NASTIER SHIT MILLIONS OF TIMES OVER THE INTERNET! MILLIONS!!!! I KID YOU NOT!! I HAVE A CHARMING PERSONALITY, WHAT CAN I SAY! I'M A CERTIFIED A$$HOLE!!! MY TROLL IS STRONG!

YOU WANT EXAMPLES ?? SURE!

LET'S SEE, OFF THE TOP OF MY SNAPPERHEAD, I CAN LIST THE FOLLOWING:

AN EGOTISTICAL EGOMANIAC WITH AN EGO THE SIZE OF JUPITER, A TROLL, A PIECE OF SHIT KEYBOARD WARRIOR, A BIGOTED ARROGANT a$$hole, A MANCHILD, A MONSTER, A BIG OLE VAGINA, A NARCISSISTIC DRAMA QUEEN, ETC. AWWW SHIT, I'M OUT, BUT YOU GET THE IDEA, KNOW WHAT I'M SAYIN' ?? SINCE I'M A HUGE INTERNET A$$HOLE TROLL AND HAVE BEEN CALLED EVERYTHING IN THE BOOK, I JUST WOULDN'T UNDERSTAND WHY SOMEBODY ELSE WOULD GET ANGRY AT INSULTS ANYMORE UNLIKE ME...

WHY FEEL INSULTED BY AN INSULT ANYMORE ?? IT JUST DOESN'T MAKE SENSE TO ME ANYMORE!

The better, REAL question here obviously is why would anyone have such an explosive reaction to somebody else not liking or loving a movie as much as they do ?? I doubt this could all ever easily be explained let alone understood... :/

I think this whole sad and embarrassing incident on Snapperhead Chad's part brings up a good tangent discussion on the nature of trolls. Just so happens that a new article on The Washington Compost went up where they did a study to answer the question of what makes them so nasty. It's not detailed, but I think it applies well in his case. Let's take a took!

"Science Reveals What Makes Trolls so Nasty"
http://www.washingtonpost.com/local/crime/science-reveals-what-makes-trolls-so-nasty/2015/07/20/

People who enjoyed trolling had much higher rates of dark traits such as sadism, narcissism, psychopathy and Machiavellianism — so much so that “it might be said that online trolls are prototypical everyday sadists,” the authors concluded.

The study also found a correlation between enjoyment of trolling and the amount of time a person spent commenting online — perhaps explaining why so many corners of the Internet seem overrun by trolls.

Hmmm, yessss, interesting. So according to the graphic, sadism was the top reason for trolling. I think that might be on to something with Snapperhead Chad here I'm afraid... I'd add arrogance, bigotry, egomania, nerd pride, etc. The most striking thing I would say here is that he demonstrates clear characteristics of a sociopath. It's looking like it would be IMPOSSIBLE for him to admit/comprehend/process that he did/said anything wrong from A to B if you assumed he wasn't trolling and this was all serious - that would be the fundamental problem here. I was thinking earlier that simple nerd pride is what makes it impossible for him to admit any over-the-top wrongdoing, but the real reason might just be much worse as mentioned... We'll never know for sure I suppose. Ah well. :/ The troll aspect to his behavior is 100% though.

There's nothing worth thinking about here.  When you insult someone, especially for an asinine reason like this, it's always going to rub them the wrong way.

Everyone deals with things like this differently.  For example, when Zeta implied I was a racist for not wanting to play a visual novel in Japanese, a language I cannot read or speak, I just shrugged it off.  Some people are just more vocal than others.

Yeah, don't fall for the bait, Raizen, his shitty, ill-conceived troll strategy is not that hard to discern... He's a lot better than that when he really wants to troll, so that's far from his best work on PCEFX. Color me unimpressed here...

I'm afraid I missed the exchange where he implied you're a racist but somehow I'm not surprised. Sounds like there might be Japanophilic excesses based on your experiences with him. I see elements of a cyberbully that wants to browbeat someone into liking something as much as he does with psychological attacks...

Yeah, I'm understanding better the feeling of another PCEFX member who refers to him as "a piece of shit keyboard warrior." I'm bothered by the fact that I stood up for him and referred to his informative posts on gaming at times as a defense and that he is a valuable member. I failed to see him for the piece of shit that he is and it took this exchange to do so, thus I feel a bit foolish. It bothered me enough to go back and tell that person he was right all along and to laugh with me at this thread! I try to correct my shit when possible, so yeah, this is not somebody I would ever defend again.

Basically, SnapperChad jumped the shark for me... He went full retard, and as Robert Downing Jr. taught us, you never go full retard... Your career cannot recover in the aftermath and so I'll never look at him the same way again to be quite honest. Also, I wouldn't wanna watch this movie again at all because I think I will forever hold the association of what happened in this thread; it'll forever remind me of a psycho nutjob fanboy ripping my head off for not finding it the masterpiece that he does, etc... One reason I considered the possibility is because I watched it in Japanese with English subtitles, so watching it for the sake of the English dubs would've given me a replay reason, but f--k that shit now... Heh.

SignOfZeta

« Reply #424 on: July 23, 2015, 01:04:40 PM »
I didn't like Mononoke. It's well made and all, but it's basically a grown up remake of Nausicaa with way more violence and no flying. It's bleak and depressing and puts me on edge. It's also the first big use of the "giant black pudding" seen now in other Ghibli movies. It's pure quality, don't get me wrong, and if I came from any place but Ghibli it would stand out as being something very special, but to me I'd say it's probably my least favorite Ghibli movie.

I will occasionally watch the thing, which is more than I can say for Fireflies. I have the 13 disc Ghibli LD box and Fireflies has never even been opened. That's how much I enjoy watching that f*cker.

The Ghibli that does it for me most consistently is Kiki's Delivery Service. The plot and characters are not the greatest, but as an animated movie it really soars. It's so so well done. The settings are so cool, the zeppelin and the bike ride and the scenes of flying over the city at night...it's Ghibl pure and total. Laputa is great a these same things, but it's a bit long.

Porco has the coolest characters. Of that I have no doubt.

Nausicaa is and always will be my favorite though. Ponyo is still "new" to me, but it's rapidly growing on me. The way there is danger, but you always feel safe. The special way it makes use of parents in a kids movie, like Totoro, is something other makes of kids movies should learn from. They can be there with the kids and adventures can still happen. Nobody has to be kidnapped or orphaned for the movie to begin.

When I watch a movie like Kiki, Porco, Ponyo, (also, Fireflies) I see what makes quality animation so special; animators. It's not what they put out that is most important, but what they take in. Sometimes you can be unaware of how special something is until you see an animator bring it to life. The way Mei moves in Totoro is...it's amazing. Only someone with the greatest observational skills can animate like that. Porco actuating the fuel pump on his plane, Nausicaa loading her rifle, the HUGE tears in Arrietty, made large because of how the relative viscocity of water changes with scale. These are things we all know l, but don't realize we know until an animator shows it to us.   

DragonmasterDan

« Reply #425 on: July 23, 2015, 01:18:32 PM »

With Summer Wars I felt like the characters were much more distinct and memorable than the other movies.  Yeah the whole digital system thing seemed a bit out there, but I mean I could see something similar with as connected to smartphones as people are now.

It was like "Second Life" somehow mixed with World of Warcraft, it was bizarre that the entire world economy was based on this.
--DragonmasterDan

TR0N

« Reply #426 on: July 23, 2015, 08:07:41 PM »
I got the TV series DVDs back then and later the OVA series + movies. I went through the movies and half of the TV series yet. Good entertainment. The animation for the "Project Eden" movie is very good, and the story holds up well.

So much fun watching the Dirty Pair, erm... I mean Lovely Angels causing havoc.
Ditto i first got into dirty pair through the adam warren comics.Then what little streamline pictures released here.Damn,it sure took a long time for the tv series to make it here officially.After watching it i find it more comedic then the movies are.I enjoy project eden the most as well,best out of the three dirty pair movies.
« Last Edit: July 23, 2015, 08:16:12 PM by TR0N »

PSN:MrNeoGeo
Wii U:Progearspec

ClodBuster

• A real powerhouse!
    • Cumonreprocarts.com
« Reply #427 on: July 23, 2015, 08:12:11 PM »
I saw Mononoke 15 years ago where it got a very limited cinematic release in Europe - when Buena Vista acquired the distributional rights, it seemed they either tried to cautiously test the waters or secretly dump that film right away, in favour of protecting Disney movies from the "Japanese invaders".

I liked it. Because anything is more likeable than Grave of the fireflies. And Mononoke isn't starting any dumb controversies and trolling shit - is it?
« Last Edit: July 23, 2015, 09:25:29 PM by ClodBuster »

They tried to make me do a recap
I said no, no, no

DragonmasterDan

« Reply #428 on: July 23, 2015, 09:02:46 PM »

Ditto i first got into dirty pair through the adam warren comics.Then what little streamline pictures released here.Damn,it sure took a long time for the tv series to make it here officially.After watching it i find it more comedic then the movies are.I enjoy project eden the most as well,best out of the three dirty pair movies.

I have fond memories of the Streamline pictures released movies. I actually picked up a DVD set a few years ago with three of them.

The TV series I watched a few episodes of via the Manga Entertainment channel that is on Xbox live and it didn't blow me away.
--DragonmasterDan

esteban

« Reply #429 on: July 23, 2015, 11:14:04 PM »
Grave of the Fireflies — If you haven't seen this film, watch it tonight. Lights out, no distractions.

|    | 

DragonmasterDan

« Reply #430 on: July 23, 2015, 11:53:15 PM »
Grave of the Fireflies — If you haven't seen this film, watch it tonight. Lights out, no distractions.

I know I asked NightWolve this as well, but have you seen Barefoot Gen?
--DragonmasterDan

SephirothTNH

« Reply #431 on: July 23, 2015, 11:55:38 PM »
Best anime ever right here.

DragonmasterDan

« Reply #432 on: July 24, 2015, 12:18:07 AM »
Best anime ever right here.

Heh, I own that VHS as well.

I've never actually watched that cut of the movie in its entirety. But I have watched through Nausicaa
--DragonmasterDan

SephirothTNH

« Reply #433 on: July 24, 2015, 12:25:33 AM »
Nausicaa is better but Warriors of the wind is what started it all for me.  I must have worn out my video stores copy back in the day. 

DragonmasterDan

« Reply #434 on: July 24, 2015, 12:30:50 AM »
Nausicaa is better but Warriors of the wind is what started it all for me.  I must have worn out my video stores copy back in the day. 

What's kind of lame about the copy of it that I have is it's a legitimate pre-recorded VHS tape, but they recorded it at SLP (I'm not sure how many people remember that VHS had different speed settings that effected video quality and duration of the tape). So cheap.
--DragonmasterDan