Author Topic: The Anime Thread: Finding Good Anime  (Read 31320 times)

SignOfZeta

Re: The Anime Thread: Finding Good Anime
« Reply #1065 on: April 05, 2018, 11:33:51 AM »
I hope they can move them. I’m quite solidly in the demographic for this set but I’m simply not paying that much for it, not at once anyway. Most Japanese sets top out at $400-500. I’m not sure how they figure Americans will pay more when most are too cheap or poor to pay real money for any media anymore.
« Last Edit: April 05, 2018, 11:47:55 AM by SignOfZeta »

Gypsy

« Reply #1066 on: April 05, 2018, 12:01:17 PM »
I farking love LoGH, but $800 is a tough pill to swallow all at once for sure.

I'd easily buy all of it if they did 6 sets @ $50-60 each and all the movies individually for like $20-$25 each.

I paid a fair bit for my Ranma and Gundam BD sets but it was fragmented and over time.

So odds are I will never own this set, but I'm okay with that. I already watched it and enjoyed it.

SignOfZeta

« Reply #1067 on: April 05, 2018, 12:28:10 PM »
If they did six sets I’d never find them all. :) I think two halves for the series and another box for the movies would make sense. It’s obvious they are between a rock and a hard place when it comes to finding a way to pay for such a massive show. Looking back at the LD era...this show was always expensive. But even when it was still coming out in Japan during peak-anime there were alternate ways of buying it. The original VHS releases were by subscription and many of the LDs that were in sets were also available in single volumes. This isn’t the most expensive way to buy it but it may be the single most expensive release in the history of the show, and it’s for the US...where it’s never been released before.

Like I said, I hope they move them. I also hope that dumb box isn’t as shitty as it looks but it’s probably even worse. :)

seieienbu

« Reply #1068 on: April 05, 2018, 01:03:15 PM »
LoGH is probably my second favorite anime after Record of Lodoss War.  With that said, I don't think I'd buy this set unless it was ridiculously marked down. 
Current want list:  Bomberman 93

Gypsy

« Reply #1069 on: April 05, 2018, 01:06:00 PM »
On the topic of shitty cases I don't understand why it's so hard to make a good case.

I have some that are almost impossible to get the disc out of (some of these from within the last year even...), horrible bulky digipaks, then there was that era (I want to say from like 2001-2005 or so) where anime companies used these mongoloid irreplaceable book type cases*, metal tins and....whatever the actual f*ck my MoonPhase and Trinity Blood sets are in (I can take pictures of these if anyone is interested, they are bizarre).

*I tried to find a good picture of this online but couldn't. It's the ones that are a singular case but open all fragmented. They are at their worst when it's a 6+ disc set. When it's something that was 3 or so discs it isn't nearly as annoying.

SignOfZeta

« Reply #1070 on: April 05, 2018, 03:30:02 PM »
Yeah. It’s puzzling. Especially since a stack of boring Amaray cases look great, lasts forever, are easy to access, etc and cost LESS than custom Digipacks that fall apart if they don’t arrive broken. Last XMas I was lucky enough to receive the Mary Hartman Mary Hartman complete series. It’s 136 eps plus bonus making it somewhat similar in run time to this set and while the art is not great (basically the same two or three pics repeated endlessly throught the set) it *does* fit on a shelf this box set clearly never would because the outer box isn’t filled with air like this SD coffin or whatever the f*ck it is. 

These days...either BR sized or LP/LD 12x12 or GTFO. I don’t know what these clowns are thinking.
« Last Edit: April 05, 2018, 03:33:00 PM by SignOfZeta »

soop

« Reply #1071 on: April 05, 2018, 10:26:13 PM »
I've been watching Hajime No Ippo.  Really enjoyed it, it's one of the best I've seen.  I also liked Baki the Grappler, but this is just ahead of the field.  I only have about 15 episodes left which is sad,  But it actually had me laughing out loud yesterday, which few things can do.

If anyone's interested, it's an anime about boxing, but that doesn't really do it justice.  It's apparently a Shonen, though I don't really know what that means.

Mathius

« Reply #1072 on: April 06, 2018, 11:40:02 AM »
Been watching the OVA and first three films of Patlabor. This is my first time through. Really beautiful 90s animation.
F@ck Ebay Club member since 2010
Switch Friend Code: SW-2346-3388-5406

BigusSchmuck

« Reply #1073 on: April 07, 2018, 05:40:24 AM »
I bought the LOGH bootleg dvd boxset back in the early 2000s just to have it subbed. It's nice knowing there are other LOGH fans out there. :)

xelement5x

« Reply #1074 on: April 10, 2018, 03:00:33 PM »
I bought the LOGH bootleg dvd boxset back in the early 2000s just to have it subbed. It's nice knowing there are other LOGH fans out there. :)

It's an amazing series, I'd love to get it but like that price is just a ball buster.
Gredler: spread her legs and push her down to make her more lively<br>***<br>majors: You used to be the great man, this icon we all looked up to and now your just a pico collecting 'tard...oh, how the mighty have fallen...<br>***<br>_joshuaTurbo: Sex, Lies, Rape and Arkhan. A TurboGrafx love story

ClodBuster

• A real powerhouse!
    • Cumonreprocarts.com
« Reply #1075 on: April 18, 2018, 09:33:52 PM »
A friend made me watching the first two episodes of Bakemonogatari. He promised me something along the lines of Madoka.

Also, I think this description of Neon Genesis Evangelion is hilarious, because it's true:

Neon Genesis Evangelion: An edgy teen, a girl with no emotions, and the biggest bitch in the universe are humanity's last hope against giant, strange aliens. With their huge, cable-powered robots, they have to prevent the attackers from space (or sometimes even the sea) in a huge tower defense game from reaching the base of the (actually evil) good which lies, for whatever reason, under a well populated city, although the builders knew that the area around them would become a huge battlefield. Add to that tons of religious symbolism and some pseudo-psychological bullshit.
Source: Stupidedia

I watched EVA on TV in 2000/2001. I liked the series, but I also can't deny the criticism that is conveyed by the quoted text above.
« Last Edit: April 18, 2018, 10:07:00 PM by ClodBuster »

They tried to make me do a recap
I said no, no, no

Gypsy

« Reply #1076 on: April 19, 2018, 03:05:59 AM »
Definitely not wrong LOL.

I'm hooked on Hana Yori Dango and City Hunter lately. Watched another disc of HYD last weekend. Was able to snag City Hunter Season 2 Collection 2 for a reasonable price from a store I hadn't checked in awhile. Their location up in Necro corn land had it, and they are shipping it to me. Not a steal but way better than the insane prices people are asking right now.

Gypsy

« Reply #1077 on: May 14, 2018, 10:00:14 AM »
So I was looking into picking up the old Arslan OAV and unfortunately it's all CPM trash. I was wondering if anyone here had experience with the discs. I would assume they all just use the same exact master but I was curious enough to try and confirm that.

ParanoiaDragon

« Reply #1078 on: May 14, 2018, 08:31:32 PM »
With everything going on in my life right now, I really need to laugh more to keep my spirits up.  I was perusing Netflix, looking for some Anime I haven't seen before.  Any thoughts on funny Anime?  I like some ridiculousness, but, I can only handle so much.  Like Bo Bobo Bobobo or whatever....just is too much for me.

Mathius

« Reply #1079 on: May 15, 2018, 09:12:31 AM »
With everything going on in my life right now, I really need to laugh more to keep my spirits up.  I was perusing Netflix, looking for some Anime I haven't seen before.  Any thoughts on funny Anime?  I like some ridiculousness, but, I can only handle so much.  Like Bo Bobo Bobobo or whatever....just is too much for me.

One-punch Man is quite possibly the funniest anime I've ever seen. My Hero Academia is a very similar yet equally awesome anime. Both are sure to lift your spirit.
F@ck Ebay Club member since 2010
Switch Friend Code: SW-2346-3388-5406