Author Topic: The Anime Thread: Finding Good Anime  (Read 30619 times)

geise

Re: The Anime Thread: Finding Good Anime
« Reply #1080 on: May 15, 2018, 12:42:59 PM »
Sorry to hear you have so much going on Dragon. I would also recommend One Punch Man. Also for oldschool I enjoyed Dragon Half.

Gypsy

« Reply #1081 on: May 15, 2018, 01:21:52 PM »
Dunno if it's on the sites you use or not but Ranma is good, funny, mindless entertainment.

ParanoiaDragon

« Reply #1082 on: May 15, 2018, 07:02:58 PM »
I have Dragon Half on dvd.  I wish it wasn't so dang short, would've loved an entire series of that!  One Punch Man, that's on Netflix, almost picked it the other night, but when reading the description, I started thinking it was more serious than I had hoped for.  I'll give that a try along with My Hero Academy(I think I saw that on there).  I've never actually watched it, not sure if it's on any streaming service, so I'd have to find it on dvd, & I think it's a lengthy series IIRC?

seieienbu

« Reply #1083 on: May 16, 2018, 08:03:41 AM »
I loved Dragon Half when I was in highschool.  Looking back, I think it's incredibly trend setting as there are now dozens of anime/manga that are essentially parodies of Dragon Quest.  Dragon Half (to the best of my knowledge) started that whole business.

If you haven't, I'd recommend reading the Dragon Half manga.  It's very funny.
Current want list:  Bomberman 93

Mathius

« Reply #1084 on: May 16, 2018, 09:22:54 AM »
I have Dragon Half on dvd.  I wish it wasn't so dang short, would've loved an entire series of that!  One Punch Man, that's on Netflix, almost picked it the other night, but when reading the description, I started thinking it was more serious than I had hoped for.  I'll give that a try along with My Hero Academy(I think I saw that on there).  I've never actually watched it, not sure if it's on any streaming service, so I'd have to find it on dvd, & I think it's a lengthy series IIRC?
Both One Punch Man and My Hero Academia are on Hulu. Netflix only has OPM I believe.BUT, only Netflix has the awesome English Dub for OPM. They did a great job. MHA is dubbed on Hulu as well and its dub is just as good if not better. Don't miss out on either in any format. Hands down two of my favorites with loads of laughs and action to be had. They're not dark, joyless and grimy like so many other anime out these days.
F@ck Ebay Club member since 2010
Switch Friend Code: SW-2346-3388-5406

aslbozz

« Reply #1085 on: May 16, 2018, 04:30:03 PM »
What's the take on Dragon Ball Super, was this season any good?

DragonmasterDan

« Reply #1086 on: May 18, 2018, 05:34:37 AM »
I have Dragon Half on dvd.  I wish it wasn't so dang short, would've loved an entire series of that! 

I bought it on a RightStuf DiscoTek DVD sale because it had a cool cover. I've still never watched it.
--DragonmasterDan

DragonmasterDan

« Reply #1087 on: May 31, 2018, 05:47:25 AM »
My Lupin Series IV Blu-Rays arrived earlier in the week, I've been making my way through that. Unfortunately, it's an English dub only release
--DragonmasterDan

Gypsy

« Reply #1088 on: June 04, 2018, 07:41:23 AM »
My Lupin Series IV Blu-Rays arrived earlier in the week, I've been making my way through that. Unfortunately, it's an English dub only release

Sub only release coming later. Weird licensing thing.

DragonmasterDan

« Reply #1089 on: June 04, 2018, 10:07:46 AM »

Sub only release coming later. Weird licensing thing.

We also don't get the Yuji Ohno music on this release. Just this weird Japanese R&B instead o_0
--DragonmasterDan

SignOfZeta

« Reply #1090 on: June 04, 2018, 10:59:43 AM »
Well that’s f*cked.

Similarly f*cked: did Zeta Gundam ever get it’s real music put back for the US? It was missing from the OG DVD, and I’m pretty sure it’s still gone. f*cked.

Weird part? Neil Sedaka wrote the songs. They don’t even use them in Super Robot Wars, not even in the new games that come with the option to pay %50 just to get real music. f*cking rights bullshit...
« Last Edit: June 04, 2018, 11:14:03 AM by SignOfZeta »

Gypsy

« Reply #1091 on: June 04, 2018, 03:46:58 PM »
Well that’s f*cked.

Similarly f*cked: did Zeta Gundam ever get it’s real music put back for the US? It was missing from the OG DVD, and I’m pretty sure it’s still gone. f*cked.

Weird part? Neil Sedaka wrote the songs. They don’t even use them in Super Robot Wars, not even in the new games that come with the option to pay %50 just to get real music. f*cking rights bullshit...

It's a real kick in the shit. I can check Zeta for you (I have the BDs), is the original up on youtube? I assume it would be but you never know...

ParanoiaDragon

« Reply #1092 on: June 04, 2018, 09:01:52 PM »
With everything going on in my life right now, I really need to laugh more to keep my spirits up.  I was perusing Netflix, looking for some Anime I haven't seen before.  Any thoughts on funny Anime?  I like some ridiculousness, but, I can only handle so much.  Like Bo Bobo Bobobo or whatever....just is too much for me.

One-punch Man is quite possibly the funniest anime I've ever seen. My Hero Academia is a very similar yet equally awesome anime. Both are sure to lift your spirit.

Unfortunately, One Punch Man on Netflix seems to be sub only.  They must've removed the dub for some reason.  I did watch a couple of ep's of Gurren Lagann, it seems to have some good humor in it.

DragonmasterDan

« Reply #1093 on: June 05, 2018, 04:22:58 AM »
Well that’s f*cked.

With Lupin from my understanding is the crazy licensing is due to the fact that it actually aired first and was financed by some broadcaster in Italy, and it had different music there. The Yuji Ohno stuff was added for the Japanese dub.
--DragonmasterDan

Mathius

« Reply #1094 on: June 05, 2018, 09:33:34 AM »
With everything going on in my life right now, I really need to laugh more to keep my spirits up.  I was perusing Netflix, looking for some Anime I haven't seen before.  Any thoughts on funny Anime?  I like some ridiculousness, but, I can only handle so much.  Like Bo Bobo Bobobo or whatever....just is too much for me.

One-punch Man is quite possibly the funniest anime I've ever seen. My Hero Academia is a very similar yet equally awesome anime. Both are sure to lift your spirit.

Unfortunately, One Punch Man on Netflix seems to be sub only.  They must've removed the dub for some reason.  I did watch a couple of ep's of Gurren Lagann, it seems to have some good humor in it.
I'd just buy the Season 1 DVD. It's worth it. Gurren Lagann is pretty dang good. Not the best, but good.
F@ck Ebay Club member since 2010
Switch Friend Code: SW-2346-3388-5406