Author Topic: The Official Pioneer LaserActive Player thread-  (Read 17461 times)

xelement5x

Re: The Official Pioneer LaserActive Player thread-
« Reply #465 on: March 22, 2014, 11:22:30 AM »
Ever wanted to play Dragon's Lair and Thayer's Quest on an LA?  If you have a PC-PAC and a suitable PC or Amiha, it seems you probably can.

The cable shown in this add is a standard serial cable, no reason it shouldn't work on the PC-PAC:
http://www.dragonslairfans.com/flyers/LDG.pdf

And yes, these games do actually exist:
http://www.assemblergames.com/forums/showthread.php?50892-Software-Corner-LDG-Rare-Laserdisc-System-Question-about-releases

Pretty cool!  Looks like clash has some searching to do now!  :P
Gredler: spread her legs and push her down to make her more lively<br>***<br>majors: You used to be the great man, this icon we all looked up to and now your just a pico collecting 'tard...oh, how the mighty have fallen...<br>***<br>_joshuaTurbo: Sex, Lies, Rape and Arkhan. A TurboGrafx love story

DragonmasterDan

« Reply #466 on: March 22, 2014, 12:19:13 PM »

Pretty cool!  Looks like clash has some searching to do now!  :P

As I stated on the previous page, those software corner discs are bootlegs/unlicensed by the IP holders. And to make matters worse they're not NTSC they're PAL.

The same type of thing can be done using a PC with a serial cable using Daphne with various LDP players that have a serial connection and of course the original discs.

I've done just that before with a Sony LDP-1450 that is now sitting in storage.
--DragonmasterDan

TheClash603

« Reply #467 on: March 23, 2014, 06:17:57 AM »
This is something I would be interested in giving a try, but will likely never do to be honest...

The PC-Pac has been fired up a few times by me, but I really am too stupid to know what to do with it!  lol

Whatever happened to that homebrew LA game?  Not sure why I just thought of it, but is that officially canned?

xelement5x

« Reply #468 on: March 23, 2014, 08:42:17 AM »
This is something I would be interested in giving a try, but will likely never do to be honest...

The PC-Pac has been fired up a few times by me, but I really am too stupid to know what to do with it!  lol

Whatever happened to that homebrew LA game?  Not sure why I just thought of it, but is that officially canned?

I'm not sure. I saw laseractivedude was trying to sell his Myst on ebay again for about $2400 so he may have given up on the homebrew stuff for the LA if he's getting rid of the proto as well.
Gredler: spread her legs and push her down to make her more lively<br>***<br>majors: You used to be the great man, this icon we all looked up to and now your just a pico collecting 'tard...oh, how the mighty have fallen...<br>***<br>_joshuaTurbo: Sex, Lies, Rape and Arkhan. A TurboGrafx love story

TheClash603

« Reply #469 on: March 26, 2014, 04:13:44 PM »

I'm not sure. I saw laseractivedude was trying to sell his Myst on ebay again for about $2400 so he may have given up on the homebrew stuff for the LA if he's getting rid of the proto as well.

Now that it is sold, perhaps we'll get an update on that homebrew.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Myst-Pioneer-LaserActive-Mega-LD-Test-Disc-B2-110-/151259710348?pt=Video_Games_Games&hash=item2337c8038c&nma=true&si=z4G3ms92%252Fjs2wqcQ1CFR5d7%252F7Rg%253D&orig_cvip=true&rt=nc&_trksid=p2047675.l2557

RyuHayabusa

« Reply #470 on: April 16, 2014, 02:07:32 PM »
Anyone have an extra Laseractive remote they'd want to sell? I know it's not the best remote to have but I'd like to have all the original hardware.

TheClash603

« Reply #471 on: April 17, 2014, 12:52:03 AM »
The talk of MD sound quality in the other threads made me wonder, does the LA with a S1 output high quality MD sound, or is it the nerfed quality of the later revisions?  My LA is my only MD system I have, so I am curious if I am gaming properly.

esteban

« Reply #472 on: April 17, 2014, 01:37:45 AM »

Now that it is sold, perhaps we'll get an update on that homebrew.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Myst-Pioneer-LaserActive-Mega-LD-Test-Disc-B2-110-/151259710348?pt=Video_Games_Games&hash=item2337c8038c&nma=true&si=z4G3ms92%252Fjs2wqcQ1CFR5d7%252F7Rg%253D&orig_cvip=true&rt=nc&_trksid=p2047675.l2557

Yes indeed, the homebrew...didn't he have access to industrial software/burner or something? But only a handful of discs to test on?

|    | 

xelement5x

« Reply #473 on: April 17, 2014, 10:23:57 AM »
Anyone have an extra Laseractive remote they'd want to sell? I know it's not the best remote to have but I'd like to have all the original hardware.

The cost for an original remote is really not worth it since there are so much better options out there.  That said, I'd just put a watch on ebay for the model number and wait if no one has an extra. 

DragonmasterDan

« Reply #474 on: April 17, 2014, 11:05:54 AM »

The cost for an original remote is really not worth it since there are so much better options out there.  That said, I'd just put a watch on ebay for the model number and wait if no one has an extra. 

Yep,
Perfectly functional pioneer LD remotes pop up for 10.00 or less fairly often.
--DragonmasterDan

RyuHayabusa

« Reply #475 on: April 17, 2014, 02:20:00 PM »
I've seen several Pioneer LD remotes for cheap but I still want the one that came with the system. There's one for the NEC version that's been on there for quite a while. I'm just hoping someone on here has an extra. Been watching on Ebay for a while and nothing recently.

RyuHayabusa

« Reply #476 on: April 18, 2014, 01:00:23 PM »
I'm having some issues with the back-up RAM on my LA. I just had my Sega PAC recapped recently and reformatted the RAM. After playing Snatcher for a bit I saved it and turned the machine off. I just tried to play it again and my save data was corrupted. After reading the Sega PAC manual it says to leave the machine on for 6 hours after reformatting the RAM before using it. 6 hours??? Does this sound like an issue with the machine or just a problem from me not reformatting it right? I reformatted the RAM when I first got the machine and didn't leave it on for 6 hours. Also, should I bother getting the Sega CD back-up RAM cart? Seems I read somewhere that they're junk.

synbiosfan

« Reply #477 on: April 18, 2014, 01:18:05 PM »
Also, should I bother getting the Sega CD back-up RAM cart? Seems I read somewhere that they're junk.

For some games like Shining Force CD you need the extra memory to access the complete game. I have had no problems with it and was kind of surprised you read somewhere they're junk. Overpriced, yes! Junk, not that I've experienced. I still have my original one from back in the day.

BlueBMW

« Reply #478 on: April 18, 2014, 01:20:44 PM »
There is a rechargeable battery in the Sega PAC that is probably long past its time.  Not everyone replaces the battery when doing a recap.  They probably suggest leaving the system on for 6 hours to recharge that battery.  Personally, I dont use the Laseractive for games that require saving so I've not really had an issue.  I'd say replace that battery and go from there though.
[Sun 23:29] <Tatsujin> we have hard off, book off, house off, sports off, baby off, clothes off, jerk off, piss off etc

RyuHayabusa

« Reply #479 on: April 18, 2014, 01:21:01 PM »
Also, should I bother getting the Sega CD back-up RAM cart? Seems I read somewhere that they're junk.

For some games like Shining Force CD you need the extra memory to access the complete game. I have had no problems with it and was kind of surprised you read somewhere they're junk. Overpriced, yes! Junk, not that I've experienced. I still have my original one from back in the day.

So if I get a ram cart will it automatically save to it rather than the Laseractive internal ram? How does it work?