Author Topic: The Official Pioneer LaserActive Player thread-  (Read 17443 times)

xelement5x

Re: The Official Pioneer LaserActive Player thread-
« Reply #555 on: March 13, 2017, 08:07:48 AM »
http://m.ebay.com/itm/LaserActive-Instructions-VHS-Tape-Japan-LAST-ONE-IN-THE-WORLD-RARE-Collection-/162411440523?hash=item25d079e98b%3Ag%3A0K8AAOSwx6pYs8-I&_trkparms=pageci%253A23fe685c-07e5-11e7-a362-74dbd180364f%257Cparentrq%253Ac78dbbd315a0a3588335ec2afff6f7dd%257Ciid%253A7

Has anyone ever seen this video?  Is the content different than Zoom?  I'd love to see this posted on YouTube.

...also, I'm glad the seller has stopped making mistakes, what a strange listing.

That's the JH Long Video.  Probably the weirdest promotion video I have seen as from what I was able to understand, it promotes the LA as like alien technology and integrates the promo along with a mock interview with someone recounting their abduction experience.

LaserActive Dude/Guy posted it here:

I've got that VHS version, and stumbled upon the LaserDisc version a bit back and it's waiting for me in Japan right now.  I'll ship it back once I get a bundle to combine shipping.

I really hope you did not buy that copy, that cooljpstuff seller is a horrible person.
Gredler: spread her legs and push her down to make her more lively<br>***<br>majors: You used to be the great man, this icon we all looked up to and now your just a pico collecting 'tard...oh, how the mighty have fallen...<br>***<br>_joshuaTurbo: Sex, Lies, Rape and Arkhan. A TurboGrafx love story

TheClash603

« Reply #556 on: March 13, 2017, 04:24:35 PM »
I actually skimmed through that video once before, but I don't have any idea what is going on.  Someone should make dubbing that video a passion project to appease me.

Don't worry I didn't buy that video, I love old VHS tapes for $30, but not the sale price.

Gypsy

« Reply #557 on: March 14, 2017, 05:51:01 PM »
I really hope you did not buy that copy, that cooljpstuff seller is a horrible person.

I assumed this based on their human garbage listing tactics, but do you have more insight to share?

xelement5x

« Reply #558 on: March 15, 2017, 03:33:28 AM »

I assumed this based on their human garbage listing tactics, but do you have more insight to share?

Basically I've noticed that a lot of the stuff they are "selling" they don't actually own or have access to.  They are taking pictures from Yahoo Japan auctions, putting them in ebay listings, and then jacking up the prices by about 4 times or more.  If it's a running auction they don't win it they will sit on your cash for a long time refusing to refund saying they are "waiting on a partner" to send it to them to ship to you. 

Check out their negative feedback for some gems.  I first noticed this when some very unique items showed up on YJA one day, then on ebay the next day for some insane price.  When I asked if they could ship out ASAP if I bought an item they said no they would need to get from their partner, and when I called them out about the auction with the exact same pictures they said "do not contact us again or we will block you". 
Gredler: spread her legs and push her down to make her more lively<br>***<br>majors: You used to be the great man, this icon we all looked up to and now your just a pico collecting 'tard...oh, how the mighty have fallen...<br>***<br>_joshuaTurbo: Sex, Lies, Rape and Arkhan. A TurboGrafx love story

Necromancer

• Global Moderator
« Reply #559 on: March 15, 2017, 03:43:10 AM »
Heh, what a twat.
U.S. Collection: 97% complete    155/159 titles

TheClash603

« Reply #560 on: March 15, 2017, 03:57:14 AM »
Whatever happened to that Laseractive homebrew project?  I am guessing it is dead since it would've been beyond ambitious to even attempt, but it would be awesome if I was wrong.

Gypsy

« Reply #561 on: March 15, 2017, 04:53:01 AM »

Basically I've noticed that a lot of the stuff they are "selling" they don't actually own or have access to.  They are taking pictures from Yahoo Japan auctions, putting them in ebay listings, and then jacking up the prices by about 4 times or more.  If it's a running auction they don't win it they will sit on your cash for a long time refusing to refund saying they are "waiting on a partner" to send it to them to ship to you. 

Check out their negative feedback for some gems.
  I first noticed this when some very unique items showed up on YJA one day, then on ebay the next day for some insane price.  When I asked if they could ship out ASAP if I bought an item they said no they would need to get from their partner, and when I called them out about the auction with the exact same pictures they said "do not contact us again or we will block you".

"Item got damaged during transit from our warehouse to our office."

Your warehouse. Riiiiiight.

Oh and lol at blocking you since you discovered their racket. It would be such a huge loss for you I'm sure.
« Last Edit: March 15, 2017, 04:55:54 AM by Gypsy »

SignOfZeta

« Reply #562 on: March 15, 2017, 07:50:14 AM »
Whatever happened to that Laseractive homebrew project?  I am guessing it is dead since it would've been beyond ambitious to even attempt, but it would be awesome if I was wrong.

I have no idea but if said project involves pressing a disc I can tell you that we're no closer to being able to do that than we were several years ago.

Black Tiger

« Reply #563 on: March 15, 2017, 08:48:35 AM »
Can CD-ROM discs be used in any of the LaserActive modes?
http://www.superpcenginegrafx.net/forum

Active and drama free PC Engine forum

Punch

« Reply #564 on: March 15, 2017, 09:16:09 AM »

I have no idea but if said project involves pressing a disc I can tell you that we're no closer to being able to do that than we were several years ago.

In fact we are going away from being able to press a disc since where on earth are you going to find a digital Laserdisc press or Master machine in 2017? It might have been doable 10, 15 years ago. Not now though, which is sad.

I barely remember about some hardcore Laseractive collector trying to make a game reproduction or something with a replicator with special Laserdisc media but I'm probably remembering this wrong.

esteban

« Reply #565 on: March 20, 2017, 02:25:04 PM »
I actually skimmed through that video once before, but I don't have any idea what is going on.  Someone should make dubbing that video a passion project to appease me.

Don't worry I didn't buy that video, I love old VHS tapes for $30, but not the sale price.

I think it was DragonMasterDan or chany who shared that link with me recently and I watched the video three times (I had to show it to my brothers, they didn't believe me):

(1) it is documentary style and, oddly, it has a serious tone for a majority of it.

(2) beyond being "serious", there are moments where the abductee is in extreme pain/torment (physical and emotional). This makes the promo *disturbing* yet even more *brilliant* because it's *not* campy at this point.

(3) for a really, really, really long time...no mention of LaserActive, video games, Pioneer, LaserDisc, or anything of the sort. This makes the promo even more *brilliant*

(4) the alien + abductee relationship is suddenly revealed and is campy. BUT 2-player coop is pure bliss for interplanetary gaming.

:)
  |    | 

SignOfZeta

« Reply #566 on: March 20, 2017, 03:20:31 PM »

In fact we are going away from being able to press a disc since where on earth are you going to find a digital Laserdisc press or Master machine in 2017? It might have been doable 10, 15 years ago. Not now though, which is sad.

I barely remember about some hardcore Laseractive collector trying to make a game reproduction or something with a replicator with special Laserdisc media but I'm probably remembering this wrong.

I'm convinced we'll have something eventually, but it won't be manufactured in the conventional way. Same with players.

But yeah, over in the LDDB forum we often see some guy talk about how he knows some way to resume production or fire up one of those burners nobody has ever seen. These guys have tons of optimism and like 1 post. Their first post is them telling an entire forum full of LD nerds that they know how to start making LDs again, as if we've all haven't been wanting that for 15 years.

Most recently it was a guy who was a huge fan of Regular Show so he wanted to press The Last Laserdisc Player and give it to the creator regardless of cost. Sadly the cost is in the hundreds of thousands of dollars if not millions so that never came out, same with the World's Biggest Laseractive fan who was sure of the same sorts of things. Sometimes you have to know a little more to fully realize how little you know.

Black Tiger: unless there is some hidden developer functions no retail game has used (possible) then no. All Laseractive games are 12" Laservision discs with special game code snuck into the digital audio tracks. Of course, even if a normal-ish CDROM2 could activate LD functions there's no way to burn LD video onto a CD so there wouldn't be any point.

nectarsis

« Reply #567 on: March 20, 2017, 03:32:11 PM »
someone was selling a LD duplicator(?) and like 150 discs recently...no one had the room....I think Beemer was part of the convo on FB
My Blogger profile with all my blogs of wonderment:<br><a href="http://www.blogger.com/profile/08066967226239965436" class="bbc_link" target="_blank">http://www.blogger.com/profile/08066967226239965436</a>

SignOfZeta

« Reply #568 on: March 20, 2017, 05:44:33 PM »
Most likely useless.

xelement5x

« Reply #569 on: March 21, 2017, 10:02:14 AM »
There was a guy that had supposedly written something to dump the Mega-LD code portions but I never heard much about it beyond him asking for people to send him discs so he could back them up.  Seemed a bit fishy to me so I just wrote it off as another scam.