Author Topic: Game Sack  (Read 73149 times)

esteban

Re: Game Sack
« Reply #1830 on: December 07, 2014, 12:45:24 PM »

It is a little sad that you didnt get past where you did in FF7 though.  The game is soooo much more than just that first little section.  You were no where near the end of disc 1.  It does seem to get better later in the game.  Battles can still be annoying but overall there is a lot of good stuff.  Maybe consider trying again but use a guide some?

Future episode: "third chance is a charm"
  |    | 

BlueBMW

« Reply #1831 on: December 07, 2014, 12:50:01 PM »
While not the HD remake a lot have been clamoring for... apparently there will be a version of FF7 available for the PS4 which will be a port of the old PC version.  The PC version was a little bit better than the PS1 version graphically etc so might be worth trying there.  At the time I could never get the PC version to work with my video card right so I always ended up with poopy looking software rendering.
[Sun 23:29] <Tatsujin> we have hard off, book off, house off, sports off, baby off, clothes off, jerk off, piss off etc

seieienbu

« Reply #1832 on: December 07, 2014, 01:14:49 PM »
It is a little sad that you didnt get past where you did in FF7 though.  The game is soooo much more than just that first little section.  You were no where near the end of disc 1.  It does seem to get better later in the game.  Battles can still be annoying but overall there is a lot of good stuff.  Maybe consider trying again but use a guide some?

Funny, I think that the first 6 hours or so of the game was absolutely the highpoint of FF7.  I thought the atmosphere of Midgar was fantastic.  It was bleak and desperate and the world felt well fleshed out.  After you leave Midgar I thought there were a few cool points but overall I thought the game devolved into a huge mess.
Current want list:  Bomberman 93

BlueBMW

« Reply #1833 on: December 07, 2014, 01:32:11 PM »
Oh the first part in Midgar was great and yeah some of the later parts were a little boring but some were also fantastic.  (Gold Saucer Im looking at you!)  I guess I feel like the whole game should be enjoyed :)
[Sun 23:29] <Tatsujin> we have hard off, book off, house off, sports off, baby off, clothes off, jerk off, piss off etc

Joe Redifer

« Reply #1834 on: December 07, 2014, 02:41:32 PM »
Why do people keep telling me that I'm nowhere near the end of the first disc? That doesn't matter! That wasn't just a "little section". I have 7 hours of recorded footage of me getting THAT far. That's longer than the vast majority of Turbo and X68000 games right there. The fanbase makes me dislike it even more. They just can't deal with the fact that I do not like it. Very annoying. If a game takes more than 7 hours just to "get good" then that is a shitty-designed game. It should be good right away. I guess FF7 fans don't understand logic like that. It's the audience that sometimes makes me hate making Game Sack.

Medic_wheat

« Reply #1835 on: December 07, 2014, 02:51:10 PM »
Why do people keep telling me that I'm nowhere near the end of the first disc? That doesn't matter! That wasn't just a "little section". I have 7 hours of recorded footage of me getting THAT far. That's longer than the vast majority of Turbo and X68000 games right there. The fanbase makes me dislike it even more. They just can't deal with the fact that I do not like it. Very annoying. If a game takes more than 7 hours just to "get good" then that is a shitty-designed game. It should be good right away. I guess FF7 fans don't understand logic like that. It's the audience that sometimes makes me hate making Game Sack.

Personally the first PS1 era FF game I really got into was FF9. Maybe it is because it was the last (not including online) that was more traditional fantasy instead of sci fi future FF game.

roflmao

« Reply #1836 on: December 07, 2014, 04:11:17 PM »
Personally the first PS1 era FF game I really got into was FF9. Maybe it is because it was the last (not including online) that was more traditional fantasy instead of sci fi future FF game.

Agreed. I thought FF7 was so bad that I completely skipped FF8. FF9 was awesome, though!  Totally felt like a throwback to the SNES days.

And Joe, I tried a few times to "get" FF7 and once I even made it to disc 2.  It took me 40 hours.  40 grueling hours. To get to disc 2. I stopped playing after that and haven't picked it up since.

BlueBMW

« Reply #1837 on: December 07, 2014, 05:12:44 PM »
Well I apologize for enjoying the game and hoping that others enjoy it too.

mackdanger

« Reply #1838 on: December 07, 2014, 05:23:58 PM »
If a game takes more than 7 hours just to "get good" then that is a shitty-designed game. It should be good right away.

If I remember correctly, people were saying the same thing about FF13. Except they were saying it "opened up" and "got good" after like fifteen hours or some shit.
Check out "Skill Sets" my 1CC / No Death video series:
https://www.youtube.com/user/richardgalactic

seieienbu

« Reply #1839 on: December 07, 2014, 05:49:11 PM »

Obviously nobody's going to like every game and likewise, no matter how overly loved some game is somebody is going to hate it.  FF7 has a really weird feel to me that made me think that the whole game was an odd work in progress. 

It was clearly an early work in 3D where just having 3D graphics meant that stuff would happen at a weird and occasionally very slow speed.  I figure the best case in point I can think of is the Knights of the Round summon.  I think anyone who was going to like FF7 would like it from the very get go.  If what you dislike about it is actual gameplay elements, I doubt that the story/music/artwork are going to change your opinion.  I don't think playing it longer to "give it a chance" will change your mind.

I liked FF7 a lot at the time of release but upon playing it again a year or two ago I thought that the plot goes to hell as soon as the villain is introduced and actually playing the game is fairly annoying. 
Current want list:  Bomberman 93

Joe Redifer

« Reply #1840 on: December 07, 2014, 08:54:20 PM »
Yeah, that's what I was hoping to express in the FF7 segment. The 'tude I seem to be getting from a lot of FF7 fans (not all, mind you) is that I'm doing something wrong. There's no way anyone can genuinely dislike the game so I must be doing something wrong. They just need to accept that I've given it an honest second chance and I still don't like it. I put a lot of time into that second chance and people think I didn't "do it right". It's just not good enough for them. It's like all that effort I put into giving the game a second chance was completely wasted on them.

HailingTheThings

« Reply #1841 on: December 07, 2014, 09:05:24 PM »
Yeah, that's what I was hoping to express in the FF7 segment. The 'tude I seem to be getting from a lot of FF7 fans (not all, mind you) is that I'm doing something wrong. There's no way anyone can genuinely dislike the game so I must be doing something wrong. They just need to accept that I've given it an honest second chance and I still don't like it. I put a lot of time into that second chance and people think I didn't "do it right". It's just not good enough for them. It's like all that effort I put into giving the game a second chance was completely wasted on them.

Don't sweat it, man. Definitely not for everyone. I remembered thinking FF7 was cool from watching my friend play it back around the time it was released. Fast forward years later and someone straight up gave me a complete black label copy because disc 1 was scratched and they had a better copy. I played it. Decided that it wasn't good enough to hold me. I asked my friend if he gave a shit if I sold it to a local shop and he's like "I. Don't. Care." So I ended up getting some Dreamcast with the credit I got for it. Thank you FF7. Thank you for helping me get games I'll actually have fun playing.

esteban

Game Sack
« Reply #1842 on: December 07, 2014, 10:46:06 PM »

Exactly. I know that, at times, I am guilty of this myself (for example, when folks say that Legendary Axe I/II, China Warrior, ______ are bad games). I should simply acknowledge that some games may not be enjoyable to everyone. Instead, of course, I tell folks that they "really haven't given it a chance"—which may or may not be true.

You are spot-on characterizing the accusations as  "you are doing it wrong"...I have seen that from both sides of the fence. And sometimes, I have  seen it while standing on the fence. However,  I have never seen it from under the fence (what would be the point of climbing underneath?).

In summary, it is OK if FF7 is not loved by everyone.

« Last Edit: December 07, 2014, 10:48:55 PM by esteban »
  |    | 

NightWolve

« Reply #1843 on: December 07, 2014, 11:59:03 PM »
In summary, it is OK if FF7 is not loved by everyone.

While it disappoints me to learn that GameSack Joe dislikes FF7, I've long since shed the ole "How DARE you not like/love what I do!" fanatic mentality. Heh. Ten years ago you might've jokingly (for the most part) seen me giving off a "Don't like Squaresoft ???? GET THE HELL OUTTA HERE!! NOW!!" vibe but it's something one must learn to outgrow. ;)

Opethian

« Reply #1844 on: December 08, 2014, 01:12:33 AM »
if you could skip the cutscenes I would replay FF7.

[Mon 16:27] <BlueBMW> i wouldnt sell an unmolested duo hehe.  I molest the crap outta of em before they leave me