Author Topic: What PC-FX game are you currently playing?  (Read 3409 times)

Aggie Tsubi

Re: What PC-FX game are you currently playing?
« Reply #30 on: February 16, 2013, 01:56:32 PM »
Argh, I totally blew it with Reika. I was doing everything perfectly, without even checking an FAQ, and I did successfully get her ending, BUT I TURNED DOWN GOING TO OKINAWA. ](*,) Man, what a boneheaded mistake, which cost me the last two scenes, and since I didn't have a save from before I made the choice, I'm going to have to repeat the entire game with her. For some reason, I stupidly assumed that she wasn't going on the trip, since in prior playthroughs I only saw the options to look for Satomi and Shouko. I figured that since she hadn't said anything about it and since she's older and not a high student she'd stay behind like Shiho. Blargh, so stupid of me.

tpivette

« Reply #31 on: February 16, 2013, 02:03:59 PM »
Isn't it aggravating to miss one or two scenes and not have a complete set? I did something similar with Shiho... got her ending and all and restarted the game to play through with another girl, only to realize later if you let the credits play through, you get a few more scenes with her! DAMN IT!

There's another girl you get a few extra scenes with after the credits roll, and that's how I realized I must have missed them with Shiho. Still haven't played all the way through with her again to get those last few pictures...
Original owner of a TG-16 since 1989!

CURRENTLY PLAYING:
Vita - Conception 2
PS3 - Tales of Graces f
Wii U - Monster Hunter 3 Ulltimate

Aggie Tsubi

« Reply #32 on: February 19, 2013, 09:06:08 AM »
Well, at least with Shiho, it looks like you have to beat the game with her three times over anyway if you want to fully complete her album, since it looks like there are alternate versions of her ending picture. So you could always pick up those post-credits pictures on a replay to get the alternate endings. Looks like Yukiko also has to be done three times over. Kinda tedious. I don't mind the scenes that have alternate versions for Reika and Shouko since they're at the beginning of the game and can be picked up regardless of who you focus on, but I wish they didn't put scenes like those near the end.

Anyway, I have a few things about the game I'm curious about that maybe you or Filler or anybody else who's played the game can answer. For those who haven't, here's fair warning that it may be a bit spoiler-y.

Does anybody know what the whole "Milk" thing is about? Is this some kind of wordplay lost in translation? As best as I can tell, it sounds like they actually pronounce the English word "milk", and it doesn't seem like the Japanese word for "milk" is anything like "Rumi" anyway. I wonder if maybe it's a matter of the characters being backwards, like "miru"? And maybe the "ku" is from the honorific "kun"? Like "Miru-kun"?

Shiho says that she's seeing someone and that it's somebody the main character has already met, but that plot point seems to get completely dropped later. I mean, the only guys you've really met at that point are Daisuke and your dad. It's not Daisuke, and I hope Yusuke isn't getting his dad's sloppy seconds, haha. But I was thinking maybe she was actually talking about the restaurant itself? She compares the restaurant to a lover near the end of the game, so maybe she was just speaking figuratively.

And finally, does anybody know who Yukiko, Rumi, and Yusuke are dressed up as in Yukiko's ending? If the outfits aren't completely made up that is. Yukiko obviously dresses up as Haohmaru from Samurai Shodown in the game, and I'm guessing Rumi's Comiket cosplay is a reference to Darkstalkers. There's also a guy in the Comiket background that looks like Terry Bogard. So I figure the chances are decent that the ending is referencing something real too, and I could swear that Yukiko's outfit looks familiar. There's a focus on fighting game fandom mid-game, but I kind of doubt they're dressed up as fighting game characters in the ending since Yukiko says that Rumi is the princess and Yusuke is the hero. An RPG seems more likely.

filler

« Reply #33 on: February 24, 2013, 07:57:59 AM »
Does anybody know what the whole "Milk" thing is about? Is this some kind of wordplay lost in translation? As best as I can tell, it sounds like they actually pronounce the English word "milk", and it doesn't seem like the Japanese word for "milk" is anything like "Rumi" anyway. I wonder if maybe it's a matter of the characters being backwards, like "miru"? And maybe the "ku" is from the honorific "kun"? Like "Miru-kun"?

I can help you out with the Milk question, or at least . He did a little video on WtPC and just happened to choose the dialog option where this tidbit is explained.

As for the others... I'm not sure either. :(

Aggie Tsubi

« Reply #34 on: February 25, 2013, 06:50:11 AM »
Yeah, I've actually seen that bit of dialogue already, but it still left me a little confused as to why Rumi was making the mistake.

filler

« Reply #35 on: February 25, 2013, 11:09:14 AM »
Ah, ok. It may have to do with the tendency (at least in anime) of kids and cute characters to refer to themselves in the third person. I've thought of it like that, combined with the tendency for kids to find at least one thing to assign the wrong word (or name) to. The closest thing I can think of is that I said "brefgist" unstead of "breakfast" until I was probably 3 or 4.

So you have her calling herself "Rumi" instead of using the personal pronoun "I", only she doesn't even get that right. She wrongly says "Milk", probably one of her first words that she confused with her own name. It might even play into the fact that it's a foreign word since she might not have as much context for understanding what it should mean when people said it to her. Nihonjin use English words in unexpected ways anyway.

So it all combines to be a cute mistake she made when she was little, and you as her brother have picked up the habit of calling her by her (now unremembered) childhood self-nickname. That's been my take on it, though it *is* a little hard to imagine her chiding him for it for 10 years straight. ;)

EDIT: Totally awesome to see you playing and enjoying the game btw!

tpivette

« Reply #36 on: February 25, 2013, 11:28:41 AM »
Filler, I don't think I properly thanked you for the real copy you sent me of this game. Besides the last few weeks, I didn't frequent this site much since November... but one day around the holidays the game suddenly showed up in my mailbox! I had forgotten all about how you said you were going to mail it to me, so it was a nice surprise when it showed up.

Anyway, thanks again!

CURRENTLY PLAYING:
Vita - Conception 2
PS3 - Tales of Graces f

filler

« Reply #37 on: February 26, 2013, 10:57:31 AM »
Filler, I don't think I properly thanked you for the real copy you sent me of this game. Besides the last few weeks, I didn't frequent this site much since November... but one day around the holidays the game suddenly showed up in my mailbox! I had forgotten all about how you said you were going to mail it to me, so it was a nice surprise when it showed up.

Anyway, thanks again!

You are most welcome. I enjoyed reading your account of playing the game and I couldn't help but reciprocate. I'm glad it made it to you in one piece!

Aggie Tsubi

« Reply #38 on: February 26, 2013, 01:53:56 PM »
Ah, yeah, that makes sense. Thanks for the explanation. :) I guess, in Rumi's mind, something like "Want some milk?" turned into "Want some, Milk?" Is it common for the Japanese to use the English word "milk" rather than the native Japanese word for milk, or is that just a quirk of this game? Although I guess it would make sense to use a foreign word, since from what I've heard, Asians aren't traditionally that big on dairy products, what with the high rates of lactose intolerance and all.

Oh, and thanks so much for your work on the fan patch. I'm definitely having a blast with the game. :D

filler

« Reply #39 on: February 28, 2013, 04:10:14 PM »
I couldn't help it. :)

There is a Japanese word for milk, gyuunyuu (cow's milk specifically [EDIT: Mother's milk is bonyuu]). I'm going to say it's a peculiarity of the game.

My pleasure on the patch. David did a great job. I'm glad people are enjoying it.
« Last Edit: March 07, 2013, 11:34:17 AM by filler »

Mishran

« Reply #40 on: March 05, 2013, 10:45:44 AM »
I've played through and got two of the ending. I haven't played on the FX for a while, but planning on pulling it back out and try to get the others. I too gotta thank you for the kick ass patch. Game is pretty good when you know what's going on. :lol:

kazumn

« Reply #41 on: March 29, 2013, 05:33:17 AM »
Going to mess around with Shangai a bit later tonight, great fun to waste a few hours on once in a while.

Aggie Tsubi

« Reply #42 on: April 18, 2013, 07:26:17 PM »
I'm getting back into Welcome to Pia Carrot after setting it aside for a few weeks. I beat the game with the last few girls I had yet to go after. Now I just have a couple scenes I missed and then all the alternate versions of scenes with the different uniforms, which I'll probably put off until down the road as I've kinda had my fill for now. I'm rushing through the game to get the last Reika scenes that I stupidly screwed up on before, but I'm going nuts trying to get a Shouko scene I'm missing. I'm missing the last three pictures on her first page, the ones that come after the set of three of her falling on her butt and dumping a tray all over herself. I assume the three pictures are all of a single scene, with alternate versions. I have no freakin' idea where this scene is. I thought it had to do with the karaoke date on 8/5 since I hadn't explored all options with that and the FAQ on the Saturn version says that part has a scene. Well, I guess that version must have some different scenes from the PC-FX version because I got squat there. Looking through the PC-FX FAQ, nothing jumps out at me as something I missed, but it's really hard to tell because it only lists the commands you should pick, not where there are special scenes and events.

So can anybody help me out? I'd prefer to nab Shouko's scene in the middle of this Reika replay if at all possible, so I don't really want to follow the FAQ from beginning to end. Just knowing what the picture is of would help a lot, but if anybody can also tell me where and how to get the scene, that would be more awesome yet. :pray:

tpivette

« Reply #43 on: April 22, 2013, 07:26:59 AM »
It's been a few days since you posted...don't know if you've gotten the elusive photos or not, but I can fire up my FX and see which ones you're mentioning and let you know where/when they can be found

CURRENTLY PLAYING:
Vita - Conception 2
PS3 - Tales of Graces f

Aggie Tsubi

« Reply #44 on: April 22, 2013, 12:37:57 PM »
Nope, still haven't found them. I also contacted the author of the PC-FX Pia Carrot FAQ, and surprisingly, he never managed to find them either. I did find this site with all the pictures, though:

(NSFW obviously)
http://www.hentaitoonami.com/phtc/view.php?section=cgbone&p_layer0=P&layer0=000311&p_layer1=3

It seems like I'm missing the ones where it looks like Shouko's leaning over the player, and going by the dark background with what looks like pipework, I'm guessing it's maybe the stockroom? But, yeah, if you got those pictures and remember how, it would be wonderful if you could help me out. :)