Author Topic: Necro's game clears and mindless musings  (Read 23809 times)

Necromancer

• Global Moderator
Re: Necro's game clears and mindless musings
« Reply #120 on: January 20, 2014, 06:04:26 AM »
Clear #31 - Yawara! 2

More of the same type of stuff as found in the first game.  It's quite a bit shorter, though, which is somewhat made up for with mini-game crappola (trivia game, othello, vs. fighting game, character stats, etc.).
U.S. Collection: 97% complete    155/159 titles

Xak

« Reply #121 on: January 20, 2014, 01:33:39 PM »
do you speakie japanesie?
Im a real life Sadler, just take me to the nearest item shop.

I have aspergers, and am a recovering Tonicholic

Necromancer

• Global Moderator
« Reply #122 on: January 21, 2014, 01:52:03 AM »
do you speakie japanesie?

Nope, I still don't (nor do I read/write it), but I don't let that me keep me from enjoying PCE games.

galam

« Reply #123 on: January 21, 2014, 01:57:10 AM »
I admire the time you have to kick the PCE's ass.  Not only having the time, but actually using it constructively

PunkicCyborg

« Reply #124 on: January 21, 2014, 05:06:29 AM »
Necro makes me want to play comic adventure games :D
(19:28:25) GE0: superdead told me in whisper that his favorite game is mario paint

Necromancer

• Global Moderator
« Reply #125 on: February 04, 2014, 02:55:44 AM »
Clear #32 - Gain Ground SX

The Good: lots of characters to pick from and different enemies to defeat, requiring careful planning; cool tunes; and the action can get pretty hairy in spots.

The Bad: sometimes bland backgrounds; it defaults to easy (hit select on the title screen to set it to normal); a couple levels are kinda cheap hard, where you might run out of time trying to trigger an enemy to appear so you can whack him; no cinema or intro stuff; and no two or three player like was in the arcade original.

The Ugly: lots of flicker.

Nando

« Reply #126 on: February 04, 2014, 08:09:55 AM »
well that sucks on the no two player part.

Necromancer

• Global Moderator
« Reply #127 on: March 03, 2014, 08:05:18 AM »
Clear #33 - Cadash

The Good: some nice, gory details (talking corpses!); cool bosses; atmospheric tunes; good replay value with four characters to utilize; two player action; and mermaid tittehs!

The Bad: kinda short, but there's no save feature either; cheap hits from iffy collision detection; and a few small bits of Ireland 'humor'.

The Ugly: NA

Nando

« Reply #128 on: March 03, 2014, 09:39:37 AM »
I have a super soft spot for Cadash. Love, LOVE that game.

The cheap hits were quarter munchers.

Miracle_Warrior

« Reply #129 on: March 03, 2014, 10:39:10 AM »
I have a super soft spot for Cadash. Love, LOVE that game.

The cheap hits were quarter munchers.

Tell me about it.  I poured so many quarters in to this game growing up. 

HailingTheThings

« Reply #130 on: March 03, 2014, 01:49:40 PM »
Cadash is sweet. It cracks me up that I, without realizing it, spent so much time grinding that by the time I finished the last boss, I kinda didn't even realize it at first.

Necromancer

• Global Moderator
« Reply #131 on: March 28, 2014, 09:17:30 AM »
Clear #34 - Efera & Jiliora

Not a horrible action rpg, but its got a lot of little flaws that hold it back... and will sometimes make you want to punch a squirrel.

The Good: lengthy with lots of different places to explore; a few good tunes; neat cut scenes composed of static but good looking back drops and small but well animated character sprites (think Beyond Shadowgate cut down to fit regular CD format); lots of different bosses to whack; and two player capability.

The Bad: it sometimes gets lost on loads; slow down when there's seemingly very little going on; clunky, backwards menus; much of the game play environments are bland and ugly; the light/dark gimmick gets real old, real quick; and the damage done from stuff on the floor/ground is just ridiculous.

The Ugly: lots and lots of cheap hits due to poor hit detection, only being able to hit one enemy at a time, the screen scrolling only when you're near the edge (leaving little time to react), and the limited range of sword attacks (especially if the enemy is below you).

HailingTheThings

« Reply #132 on: March 28, 2014, 10:11:06 AM »
Clear #34 - Efera & Jiliora

Not a horrible action rpg, but its got a lot of little flaws that hold it back... and will sometimes make you want to punch a squirrel.

The Good: lengthy with lots of different places to explore; a few good tunes; neat cut scenes composed of static but good looking back drops and small but well animated character sprites (think Beyond Shadowgate cut down to fit regular CD format); lots of different bosses to whack; and two player capability.

The Bad: it sometimes gets lost on loads; slow down when there's seemingly very little going on; clunky, backwards menus; much of the game play environments are bland and ugly; the light/dark gimmick gets real old, real quick; and the damage done from stuff on the floor/ground is just ridiculous.

The Ugly: lots and lots of cheap hits due to poor hit detection, only being able to hit one enemy at a time, the screen scrolling only when you're near the edge (leaving little time to react), and the limited range of sword attacks (especially if the enemy is below you).

Kinda wish there was an English translation for this game.

Necromancer

• Global Moderator
« Reply #133 on: March 28, 2014, 10:44:59 AM »
You'll miss out on the story (more so than most rpgs due to the way the cinemas are done), but it's easy enough to play without moon rune skills.  It's fairly linear with the only back tracking being to places you couldn't enter the first go around.

PunkicCyborg

« Reply #134 on: March 28, 2014, 11:54:25 AM »
You me and gbaplayer are all neck to neck on our game clears # at 34. I need to step up my game  :twisted:
(19:28:25) GE0: superdead told me in whisper that his favorite game is mario paint