Author Topic: Necro's game clears and mindless musings  (Read 23883 times)

esteban

Re: Necro's game clears and mindless musings
« Reply #135 on: March 28, 2014, 02:42:52 PM »

You me and gbaplayer are all neck to neck on our game clears # at 34. I need to step up my game  :twisted:

You kids have a long way to go to catch up with me. The fact that I can't play nearly as much as I used to will help even things out in the next decade or so, though.

Don't give up, little ones! 
  |    | 

Necromancer

• Global Moderator
« Reply #136 on: May 22, 2014, 07:02:06 AM »
Clear #35 - Air Zonk

The Good:  nicely colored and detailed backgrounds with great parallax; sweet chip tunes (among the best on the system); tons of variation in enemies and bosses; many different weapons to try out; and great replay value to test out the various helpers, or go it alone and get different mini-helpers.

The Bad:  a little slow down and flicker; and King Drool (end boss) is balls tough compared to everyone that came before, but thankfully you can build up a pretty good stock of extra lives along the way.

The Ugly:  NA
U.S. Collection: 97% complete    155/159 titles

Mathius

« Reply #137 on: May 22, 2014, 08:16:59 AM »
Air Zonk was one of my first clears on the system. The final boss rush is a doozy.
F@ck Ebay Club member since 2010
Switch Friend Code: SW-2346-3388-5406

PunkicCyborg

« Reply #138 on: May 22, 2014, 08:58:47 AM »
King drool is easy once you get his pattern down. I first thought little thing that circles around you hit you but all it does is block your shot but you just need a couple good charged shots to clear it
(19:28:25) GE0: superdead told me in whisper that his favorite game is mario paint

Necromancer

• Global Moderator
« Reply #139 on: May 22, 2014, 09:13:50 AM »
I first thought little thing that circles around you hit you but all it does is block your shot but you just need a couple good charged shots to clear it.

Heh, no shit?  I'd die a lot less if I weren't flying in circles trying to avoid that thing.

galam

« Reply #140 on: May 22, 2014, 12:18:34 PM »
Air Zonk was one of my first clears on the system. The final boss rush is a doozy.

I was playing this a few nights ago on me TE. I got to the boss rush, died, got pissed and shut it off. Then, literally 5 mins later i turned it on again and got to the boss rush again and died.  Got REALLY pissed and stopped.

Necromancer

• Global Moderator
« Reply #141 on: June 30, 2014, 06:20:57 AM »
Clear #36 - Quiz Econosaurus

I think of the LA as part of the Turbob family (they're branded as such), so I'm putting this here.  :mrgreen:

The Good: cute animated opening video, nice background music, not terribly engrishy, and a good spread of questions running the gamut from easy to esoteric.

The Bad: very little video - it could've been on Super CD and been just as enjoyable.

The Ugly: NA

Necromancer

• Global Moderator
« Reply #142 on: July 10, 2014, 09:01:40 AM »
Clear #37 - Galaxy Fraulein Yuna

A fun, colorful, and darn cute digi-comic with a bit more action than most, though the story isn't as easy to follow as some others.

The Good: many pretty girlies to beat the pants off of (quite literally), with lots of variation in their appearance, armor, and weapons; humorous bits sprinkled throughout; tons of voice work, not that it did me any good; a couple nice red book tunes; well done animated cut scenes; and a bikini contest with special guest judges!

The Bad: chip background tunes are rather bleh; turn based battles are repetitive and I never got the hang of the strategy required (if there is one), making their outcomes seem based more on luck than anything else; mostly static in game pics where the action between characters is shown with changing character portraits, which is why it's kinda hard to follow the story if you don't understand Japanese.

The Ugly: the sound of the different girls laughing at you is like an ice pick to your ears, but we'll see who get's the last laugh, bitches!

Necromancer

• Global Moderator
« Reply #143 on: July 18, 2014, 05:06:59 AM »
Guide added to Bazaaru de Gozaaru.   

Necromancer

• Global Moderator
« Reply #144 on: July 21, 2014, 09:19:51 AM »
Clear #37.5 - Galaxy Fraulein Yuna HuVideo

If you're gonna get Yuna, it's well worth paying a couple bucks more for the re-release with the extra disc.  The HuVideo is short and kinda grainy, but it's pretty cool and there's not exactly a dearth of OBEY FMV to look at elsewhere, plus, the extra artwork stills are well worth a peek.  :mrgreen:

Bardoly

« Reply #145 on: July 21, 2014, 10:39:47 AM »

If you're gonna get Yuna, it's well worth paying a couple bucks more for the re-release with the extra disc.  The HuVideo is short and kinda grainy, but it's pretty cool and there's not exactly a dearth of OBEY FMV to look at elsewhere, plus, the extra artwork stills are well worth a peek.  :mrgreen:

I did not realize that this existed.  It is not in the PC Engine Bible, although it is in PCE Daisakusen!  Is this the first two Yuna's combined on one disk with the extra disk being some HuVideos clips, or what?

Necromancer

• Global Moderator
« Reply #146 on: July 21, 2014, 11:10:30 AM »
It's just the first game and a separate disc for the HuVideo clip and art stills.  As far as I can tell, the game disc itself is identical to the original release with the same product ID / disc number (HCD2031) and same track listing and sizes.

The PCE Bible could use a mention in the overview maybe, but I believe all the scans in the 'images' section are from the re-release version.  The manual front cover and game cd, however, would be the same from either version.

Necromancer

• Global Moderator
« Reply #147 on: August 06, 2014, 10:21:27 AM »
Clear #38 - Galaxy Fraulein Yuna 2

I didn't think it possible, but it's even cuter and more humorous than the first outing; and if you don't smile at Yuri's "om-nom-nom-noms" and save screen graphic, you have no soul.

The Good:  as in the first game, cut scenes are quite well done; better animated on-screen action, making it easier to follow the story; gobs of good voice work; a couple mini-games (which are too short to really get into) and a few first person maze sections make up for the linearity of the story line; a nekkid bathing scene (more funny than sexy); and cute colored pencil / crayon art at the end credits.

The Bad:  after the dandy opening cinema, the title screen is queerly silent; the music is again rather bland; instead of all new stuff, the intermission pics are shared with the HuVideo disc; and a couple blinky, seizure inducing screens.

The Ugly:  the f*cking battles!  They almost ruin the game, taking far too long, requiring more luck than strategy, and the deck is often stacked against you (literally).

esadajr

« Reply #148 on: August 06, 2014, 03:25:02 PM »

Sweet.

Do you know if there is a guide? (I haven't found any). Still, it is fun trying to figure out what every option does.

Gaming since 1985

slinkyturd

« Reply #149 on: August 06, 2014, 06:33:07 PM »
No Bloody Wolf?
70/95 US Turbochips