Author Topic: Necro's game clears and mindless musings  (Read 23540 times)

esteban

Re: Necro's game clears and mindless musings
« Reply #225 on: September 15, 2015, 10:58:39 AM »
Melvy has gloves permanently affixed to her hands. That is all.
  |    | 

Black Tiger

« Reply #226 on: September 15, 2015, 11:51:52 AM »
Those interested in Magicoal should be aware that it plays more like an adventurey Wolf of the Battlefield/Ikari Warriors style game than Secret of Mana.
http://www.superpcenginegrafx.net/forum

Active and drama free PC Engine forum

Mathius

« Reply #227 on: September 15, 2015, 02:45:06 PM »
Those interested in Magicoal should be aware that it plays more like an adventurey Wolf of the Battlefield/Ikari Warriors style game than Secret of Mana.

I still want it now, tho I didn't before clicking into Necro's post.

....That sounded wrong.
F@ck Ebay Club member since 2010
Switch Friend Code: SW-2346-3388-5406

esteban

« Reply #228 on: September 17, 2015, 12:48:18 AM »
Here is a collection of various Magicoal ads...not all of these are full-page ads, some of these were small ads tucked inside ads for other games.

http://archives.tg-16.com/Gekkan_PC_Engine_1993_03.htm#magicoal

|    | 

Necromancer

• Global Moderator
« Reply #229 on: September 17, 2015, 04:00:12 AM »
Thanks, este; those are great.  I see a few magic attacks I never found (or could use), and I agree that they should've shown Melvy kicking more ass.  Rhun has a good protection spell that works on Melvy, so I often played as her for attacking bosses, letting Rhun hang back out of the fray.
U.S. Collection: 97% complete    155/159 titles

Mathius

« Reply #230 on: September 17, 2015, 02:45:03 PM »
Cool. I'm kind of getting a Game Arts/Lunar vibe from those ads. The game itself is probably completely different I imagine.

Necromancer

• Global Moderator
« Reply #231 on: September 18, 2015, 04:04:54 AM »
Yarr, it definitely doesn't play like Lunar.  It's kinda like Ys II where you rely on the wands more, except you can't ram people at all, there's lots and lots of different magics to use, you can jump, and there's no experience points, leveling, or armor.

I forgot to mention the 'battle mode' earlier.  I couldn't figure out exactly what's going on (there's lots of moon runes to sift through), but it's basically Melvy and Rhun attacking each other in two player only.
« Last Edit: September 18, 2015, 04:08:29 AM by Necromancer »

DragonmasterDan

« Reply #232 on: September 18, 2015, 04:07:59 AM »
Cool. I'm kind of getting a Game Arts/Lunar vibe from those ads. The game itself is probably completely different I imagine.

With Magicoal not really.

An interesting one that has a lot of Lunar similarities despite being a completely different type of game is Gotzendiener.

Studio Alex made it. Gainax did the art.

Studio Alex made Lunar. And Toshiyuki Kubooka who worked for Gainax did the art.

--DragonmasterDan

johnnykonami

« Reply #233 on: September 18, 2015, 04:25:42 AM »
I got Magicoal years and years ago but I don't remember ever finishing it.  Cute little game though.. one day I will...

Mathius

« Reply #234 on: September 18, 2015, 04:14:07 PM »

With Magicoal not really.

An interesting one that has a lot of Lunar similarities despite being a completely different type of game is Gotzendiener.

Studio Alex made it. Gainax did the art.

Studio Alex made Lunar. And Toshiyuki Kubooka who worked for Gainax did the art.

Ohhh?! Hmm....

Necromancer

• Global Moderator
« Reply #235 on: September 29, 2015, 06:27:49 AM »
Clear #54 - Dungeon Master: Theron's Quest

This one's a bit of a mixed bag, where many of the good things are balanced by a few related flaws.

The Good: good tunes (I particularly like the harpsichord number of the last level); decent opening and closing cinemas, though the ending could've used a voiced narrative like the intro; different baddies for each level, some of which are pretty creepy looking and sounding; the puzzles can get pretty tricksy; and it controls very well if you learn to use the d-pad for movement and not the on-screen arrows.

The Bad: the bland water dripping 'atmospheric' tune that plays far too often; there's no cut scenes for each stage, just a little text blurb and a still photo; the baddies aren't very well animated; and you don't get to keep any goodies from one dungeon to the next, making it more like seven mini-games to beat instead of one cohesive whole.

The Ugly: every once in a while, you'll hit a glitch that makes one of your characters max out the load they're carrying (even if you strip 'em to nothing), which makes you move slower and forces you to rest repeatedly.  The alternative is to let the f*cker die, as everything goes back to normal upon resurrection.

Necromancer

• Global Moderator
« Reply #236 on: October 05, 2015, 11:43:06 AM »
Clear #55 - Galaga '90

The Good: jaunty tunes, fast action, a well varied mix of baddies with differing attack patterns, pretty (if basic) backgrounds, excellent controls, and great replayability with multiple paths to follow and endings to see.  In short, everything is damn near perfect.

The Bad: Nothing is particularly unpleasant, but the game is rather primitive compared to something like Soldier Blade.  I can't really fault it for that, though, seeing as it's a part of its arcade game heritage.

The Ugly: NA

P.S. - What's the trick to triggering the red capsule?  I've only snagged it a handful of times over the years, and luckily this playthrough was one of 'em.  'Twas a real life saver getting back the big ship for 'free' just before the final boss.

esteban

« Reply #237 on: October 05, 2015, 02:13:02 PM »
 But you didn't tell us the most important thing about Galaga '88 / '90: how is the parallax?
  |    | 

Mathius

« Reply #238 on: October 05, 2015, 04:10:27 PM »
Normally red canisters are only released later in the game by killing the last enemy in any given formation.

I love this game to pieces. If I would've been smart back in '92 and asked for a Turbo Duo instead of a Sega CD this would've surely been one of my faves since I loved the arcade version so much. Thanks Namco!

Necromancer

• Global Moderator
« Reply #239 on: October 06, 2015, 03:17:09 AM »
But you didn't tell us the most important thing about Galaga '88 / '90: how is the parallax?

Like most everything else in the game, it's somewhat basic but very satisfying.  :mrgreen: