Author Topic: Necro's game clears and mindless musings  (Read 23811 times)

Jason_dicarlo85

Re: Necro's game clears and mindless musings
« Reply #270 on: January 22, 2016, 11:04:42 AM »
Aww man... Super air zonk is a fantastic game ... Fun with the kids around as well

Mathius

« Reply #271 on: January 22, 2016, 12:34:34 PM »
I waited too long in acquiring this SAZ. Too much dough now though I haven't looked into the import version for a long time. One day.
F@ck Ebay Club member since 2010
Switch Friend Code: SW-2346-3388-5406

Necromancer

• Global Moderator
« Reply #272 on: February 18, 2016, 02:30:38 AM »
Clear #63 - Prince of Persia

The Good: extremely well animated sprites, a good mix of baddies with varied fighting styles, great tunes from T's Music, simple but pleasant looking environments, and the Princess's cute lil mouse.

The Bad: some garish colors used in the mostly static cut scenes, and a few cheaply located enemies that almost guarantee you'll take a hit before you can defend yourself.

The Ugly: the non-responsive and laggy controls almost ruin the game, forcing you to replay the level over and over just to try again at a particularly difficult jump.
U.S. Collection: 97% complete    155/159 titles

MNKyDeth

« Reply #273 on: February 18, 2016, 05:38:40 AM »
I played and beat Prince of Persia on the Sega CD back in the 90's. I don't own it for the TG16. But I remember the very sluggish controls.

It's worth playing through once but because of the controls even if I ever did get it for the TG16 I am not sure I could play through it again just because of my memories of this games controls.

Necromancer

• Global Moderator
« Reply #274 on: February 18, 2016, 05:59:17 AM »
Indeed.  The controls are quite frustrating, so I wouldn't blame anyone if they skipped trying to beat it and just played the first few levels, where there's no particularly tricky jumps.

Necromancer

• Global Moderator
« Reply #275 on: March 17, 2016, 03:30:10 AM »
Clear #64 - Double Dungeons

"Sense something strange?"

The Good: lots of cool looking different enemies to slice and dice (i.e. - Mr. Pumpkinhead, Lamia, and a snowman), decent tunes, fast pacing, fluid animation of the walls (unless there's a door in view), the password is available whenever you want (except in battle), you can easily walk away from fights when you find yourself outclassed, and a two player mode.

The Bad: 3/4 of the screen is HUD in single player mode, no save file option, there's no cut scenes and almost no story (what little is there is filled with engrish and typos), the latter dungeons are too damn big, and the enemy sprites are static and the scenery bland and unchanging.

The Ugly: NA

Mathius

« Reply #276 on: March 17, 2016, 01:41:08 PM »
I've tried many times to get into DD. Maybe I have zero taste lol
F@ck Ebay Club member since 2010
Switch Friend Code: SW-2346-3388-5406

esteban

« Reply #277 on: March 18, 2016, 12:57:37 AM »

I've tried many times to get into DD. Maybe I have zero taste lol

Unless you are a big D&D fan, it's not surprising.

It is not for everyone.

:)
  |    | 

Necromancer

• Global Moderator
« Reply #278 on: April 11, 2016, 04:55:28 AM »
Clear #65 - Lords of Thunder

Easily one of the best shewties ever made.  If you don't have a copy and love it, there's something wrong with you.  :P

The Good: well varied, detailed, and beautiful environments, with a few environmental interactions tossed in for good measure; nice cutscenes and more story than you find in many shewties; tons of different, awesome looking enemies, ranging from small fry to giant monstrosities; kickass, rockin' tunes; and you get some good replay value experimenting with the four different suits of armor and the order in which you play the levels.

The Bad: Not much, other than the shop owner is mute in the US version and the cut scenes would be better if there was a voice over.

seieienbu

« Reply #279 on: April 11, 2016, 10:09:08 AM »
I didn't know the shop keeper said anything in Winds.  I'm going to youtube that just to hear what she sounds like lol
Current want list:  Bomberman 93

Black Tiger

« Reply #280 on: April 11, 2016, 12:58:41 PM »
I didn't know the shop keeper said anything in Winds.  I'm going to youtube that just to hear what she sounds like lol

The Sega-CD version has English shop keeper samples and narrated cinemas. I believe that Tom's bi-compatible Sega-CD/Super CD Lords of Thunder has the Sega-CD's cinema narration during PC Engine mode.
http://www.superpcenginegrafx.net/forum

Active and drama free PC Engine forum

Necromancer

• Global Moderator
« Reply #281 on: April 14, 2016, 05:15:08 AM »
Clear #66 - Bonk's Adventure

One of the best platformers on the Turbob.  It never gets old or feels frustrating, making it a perfect game to revisit every once and a while for a quick play and to make me smile.

The Good: cute, cartoony characters; jaunty tunes; numerous hidden areas and flowers to find; fun little bonus stages; and perfect controls for easy platforming, swimming, and head butting and enemy juggling.

The Bad: none of it is particularly bad looking, but the backgrounds are often repetitive and occasionally bland.

Black Tiger

« Reply #282 on: April 14, 2016, 10:32:49 AM »
The more time goes on, even as I rarely play the Bonk games anymore, the more my opinion shifts further towards Adventure>Revenge>Big Adventure.

You nailed the best part about Adventure: that it never feels dated or poorly designed. Even though it was reportedly made in a couple weeks, it really feels like it was playtested and adjusted till it was free of cheap difficulty, yet challenging enough to remain engaging and most important of all, always fun the whole way through.
http://www.superpcenginegrafx.net/forum

Active and drama free PC Engine forum

EmperorIng

« Reply #283 on: April 14, 2016, 10:58:58 AM »
I'm curious to hear your thought as to where Revenge stumbles, even if it's only recollection.

Necromancer

• Global Moderator
« Reply #284 on: April 14, 2016, 11:08:44 AM »
It's never bothered me any, but the most common complaint I hear about Bonk's Revenge is how they changed the spin mechanics.