Author Topic: Necro's game clears and mindless musings  (Read 23876 times)

NightWolve

Re: Necro's game clears and mindless musings
« Reply #330 on: July 01, 2016, 07:49:32 AM »
Clear #73 - Xak I & II

https://c2.staticflickr.com/8/7300/27738004010_8feafd65a5_o.gif

If you liked Ys I & II, you'll enjoy this action rpg.  There's many similarities, including the bump battle system, the simple equipment and inventory screens, how it plays as a single game, and even a few familiar looking locations that feel next door to Ys sites (i.e. - burn land and the cleria mines).

The Good:  the unnecessary umlaut in Cöntinue; great redbook music, some tracks using horns and whatnot to sound a bit Ys-like; cool and sometimes humorous cut scenes (Fray gets mad!); neat (if jerky moving) background scenery seen through the castle windows; lots of different environments to explore; loads of different enemies to whack, some quite large and cool looking; and cute touches not seen often in other arpgs, like shrinking to go mousehole spelunking and the Dragon Spirit-esque vertical shewty bits.

Huh, gonna check out the soundtrack then. I bought it from EmperorIng not that long ago, but I haven't messed with it.

EmperorIng

« Reply #331 on: July 01, 2016, 08:19:42 AM »
Xak series music is excellent; moreso on the pc (which has has more tracks than what the PCE CD can allow). Even Fray CD! But the best Xak OST is Xak III, in my opinion.

Necromancer

• Global Moderator
« Reply #332 on: July 01, 2016, 08:30:25 AM »
Agreed on the borked difficulty level.  You're weak and gotta carefully attack and rest (like Ys, you heal when standing still in the open) to get enough EXP to gain a level and/or enough money to buy the next gear, then you rape everything in your path, oft times not even needing to draw your sword.

Full OST -
U.S. Collection: 97% complete    155/159 titles

Mathius

« Reply #333 on: July 01, 2016, 03:26:42 PM »
I'd like to hear your thoughts on Xak III as well.
F@ck Ebay Club member since 2010
Switch Friend Code: SW-2346-3388-5406

Necromancer

• Global Moderator
« Reply #334 on: July 27, 2016, 05:08:13 AM »
Clear #74 - Xak III

A nice sequel to Xak I & II where the bump battling has been changed to deliberate sword swings.  Make sure y'all play it with the lovely translation patch (thanks NW!), though it's just the menu and cut scene text and not the voice overs (no biggie).

The Good:  good tunes; better use of the platform jumping; a few funny cut scenes and interactions, particularly those between Fray and Pixie; lots of different characters (faeries, centaurs, snails, Mr. Pumpkinhead, etc.) to speak with and have join your party; a bit more blood and gore than usually seen in such games, though it's mostly confined to a couple short bits near the beginning and end; and another little Dragon Spirity shewty section.

The Bad:  magic is pretty much pointless and unnecessary, you can't even use it in the later part of the game; some of the scenery looks okay but most of it is undetailed, repetitive, and rendered in nothing but drab grays and browns; slow pacing, both in walking speed and the large towns and castles you wander around in for little payoff; a few glitchy areas where you jump and land in spots that you can't escape (save often!); most of the character interactions take place in small portrait text boxes instead of nicely animated and voiced cut scenes; and other than blind luck, I don't know how you're supposed to figure out how to pass through the area leading up to the final confrontation with the Necromancer.

The Ugly:  some annoying sprite flicker in a few spots, mostly in cut scenes or in background scenery where it could've been eliminated by modifying the art a bit.

NightWolve

« Reply #335 on: July 27, 2016, 01:05:54 PM »
Clear #74 - Xak III

A nice sequel to Xak I & II where the bump battling has been changed to deliberate sword swings.  Make sure y'all play it with the lovely translation patch (thanks NW!), though it's just the menu and cut scene text and not the voice overs (no biggie).

http://xak3.ysutopia.net/#downloads

How did the literal nature of the translation strike you BTW ?

I find it to be the most boring of any project I worked on (and I'm the least proud of the final result), but hey, better than Japanese! Paul wasn't as literal as Shimarisu at least.
« Last Edit: May 06, 2018, 10:02:42 AM by NightWolve »

Mathius

« Reply #336 on: July 27, 2016, 03:45:30 PM »
One thing I do remember with the brief time I spent with the translated version of Xak III was it's depressing atmosphere. I like dirt and grit in my games at times but this took it too far for me. I'll give it another chance though. If Necro likes it there's no reason I should turn a blind eye.

Necromancer

• Global Moderator
« Reply #337 on: July 28, 2016, 02:31:14 AM »
I don't know, mathius, I like just about every game.  Wanna play Hatris?  :mrgreen:

As for the translation, it's not bad at all.  There's a few stretches that're a bit stilted, sure, but I've seen plenty of official regionalizations that're far worse.

Necromancer

• Global Moderator
« Reply #338 on: August 16, 2016, 09:51:26 AM »
Clear #75 - Dragon Egg!

The Good:  Several cute yet creepy baddies to roast; neat clouds zipping by behind the trees / outside windows and wavy reflective water; nicely animated sprites, especially for the protagonist and her growing dragon; boldly colored and nicely varied locales; and it has a pretty good intro scene for a huey.

The Bad:  Other than the aforementioned clouds and water, the background is static, and there's not much detail, variety, or heavy color use either; it's short and overly easy, especially once you've fully powered up your dragon (hard mode helps); and the skull 'bomb' thing is pretty much useless, as I'd always accidentally trigger it when it wasn't needed.

The Ugly:  NA

esteban

« Reply #339 on: August 16, 2016, 11:09:02 AM »
Clear #75 - Dragon Egg!

...Other than the aforementioned clouds and water, the background is static, and there's not much detail, variety, or heavy color use either; it's short and overly easy, especially once you've fully powered up your dragon (hard mode helps); and the skull 'bomb' thing is pretty much useless, as I'd always accidentally trigger it when it wasn't needed.

You had me at "static" :)

|    | 

Mathius

« Reply #340 on: August 16, 2016, 01:30:40 PM »
I had this game for a while before I traded it off. It had the same effect on me that MAKAI PRINCE DORABOCCHAN had with their colorful yet flat backgrounds and simple gameplay. Those themselves aren't detrimental to any game, but with these two I couldn't stay engaged.

Necromancer

• Global Moderator
« Reply #341 on: November 22, 2016, 06:00:55 AM »
Clear #76 - Override

The Good:  Hectic action with lots of speedy foes zooming at you; neat parallax in stage three; nice weapon system with a powerful charged shot and multiple weapons from which to chose (though only the super powerful green and homing red are really useful); and the difficulty level is nicely offset by the plethora of ship upgrades and extra lives given.

The Bad:  At only five stages, it's pretty short; the last stage and its boss rush is nearly half the game; and while they're not exactly bad, the tunes and backgrounds are pretty meh.

The Ugly:  The green thingys that surround you in the last level.  Seriously, f*ck those guys.

jtucci31

« Reply #342 on: November 22, 2016, 12:28:40 PM »
Yeah f*ck that last stage. But I think given its shortness, it would be a cool game to rack up a high score with continuous playthroughs one after another.

Necromancer

• Global Moderator
« Reply #343 on: December 13, 2016, 02:27:52 AM »
Clear #77 - Night Creatures

Night Creatures is a thoroughly frustrating game that has a lot of good things going for it, but it's entirely let down by shoddy controls and shit hit detection.  Think of it as Shape Shifter lite, where there's a lot of similarities but it's worse in every way.

The Good:  Good parallax; though few and rather short and repetitive, the tunes are decent; dark, sinister, and nicely detailed backgrounds; and lots of different creepy crawlies to battle, including some cool bosses like Mr. Pumpkin Head, some broad that rips her own guts out and uses 'em as weapons, and a 50 shades of obey dominatrix that comes at you with a flail.

The Bad:  Dumb ending; it's short if you know where to go, with a mere 15 minutes of play time if you never die, yet it's easy to run out of time (a timer punishes exploration), run into a dead end, or die repeatedly; and it feels unfinished with a bear transformation that's never needed, areas you need never explore (Swamp?  What swamp?), and a lengthy boss rush at the end that surely has a couple bosses that were meant to head levels that were never completed.

The Ugly:  Cheap difficultly level due to piss poor hit detection and unresponsive controls, particularly when trying to fly the owl transformation.

Full Disclosure - I usually only count a 1CC as a clear, but I can't imagine trying to beat this one in one run (you can only save after dying).

esteban

Necro's game clears and mindless musings
« Reply #344 on: December 13, 2016, 08:33:40 AM »
^ I have never made it far in Night Creatures. I have tried, but I die. Die. Die.
  |    |