Author Topic: Necro's game clears and mindless musings  (Read 23571 times)

esteban

Necro's game clears and mindless musings
« Reply #360 on: May 16, 2017, 10:02:23 AM »
My kids are loving Bomberman '93...I should break out the original for them, too.

I'm saving Bomberman '94 until summer  :)
  |    | 

Mathius

Re: Necro's game clears and mindless musings
« Reply #361 on: May 16, 2017, 02:24:24 PM »
My kids are loving Bomberman '93...I should break out the original for them, too.

Bomberman '94 seems to be a fitting game for summertime play.
F@ck Ebay Club member since 2010
Switch Friend Code: SW-2346-3388-5406

esteban

« Reply #362 on: May 16, 2017, 03:56:09 PM »

Bomberman '94 seems to be a fitting game for summertime play.

Hell yes.

:)
  |    | 

Necromancer

• Global Moderator
« Reply #363 on: May 17, 2017, 02:24:05 AM »

Definitely.  They gotta know their roots!
U.S. Collection: 97% complete    155/159 titles

seieienbu

« Reply #364 on: May 17, 2017, 11:45:39 AM »
Clear #82 - Bomberman
The Ugly:  NA

I definitely would have said "The box art."  It's like they took the loveable cartoon-y Bombermen and tried to cram them into modern day bomb disposal gear looking at least semi-realistic.  I always found it offputting and would rather they had gone for a friendlier look.
Current want list:  Bomberman 93

jtucci31

« Reply #365 on: May 17, 2017, 01:45:19 PM »
How long does this first one compare to 93 and 94? So far I've only ever stuck through 93 to completion. I need to go back to this and 94.

Necromancer

• Global Moderator
« Reply #366 on: May 18, 2017, 02:54:25 AM »
I definitely would have said "The box art."  It's like they took the loveable cartoon-y Bombermen and tried to cram them into modern day bomb disposal gear looking at least semi-realistic.  I always found it offputting and would rather they had gone for a friendlier look.

Heh, true.  That shit is horrible and doesn't match the in-game art at all.

How long does this first one compare to 93 and 94? So far I've only ever stuck through 93 to completion. I need to go back to this and 94.

They're all similar in length.  I've not timed 'em myself, but youtube longplays clock 'em in at 1:20:11 (Bomberman), 1:14:10 ('93), and 1:24:02 ('94).

lukester

« Reply #367 on: May 20, 2017, 02:33:55 PM »

All 3 are absolute classics. The snes ones don't really compare in my book, though I like 1 and 4.

93 is my favorite, but 94 is the overall fan favorite next to Saturn in the retro circle.

Some of the first Pce games I've ever played as a kid.

Necromancer

• Global Moderator
« Reply #368 on: July 13, 2017, 04:48:08 AM »
Clear #83 - Tenchi Muyo!

The Good:  Cute girlies vying for your attention, sometimes in the buff (there's a lot of T&A for a game that's not Dragon Knight, Hi Leg, etc.); jaunty chip tunes and tons of voice acting; colorful, nicely detailed scenes; several humorous bits; you never get a real game over screen - you're just admonished for f*cking up and sent back to the beginning of whatever scene you failed; and it's not completely linear, with branching paths and at least two different endings (see below) for good replayability.

The Bad:  The scenes are mostly static and overlayed with talking heads, making it harder to follow the story for a dumb round eye like me; a few scenes look kind of weird, with detailed and subtly shaded background art but flat shaded / black outlined foreground art; and all the voice acting means lots of loading.

You're given separate scores for 'achievement', 'display', and 'voice' rates (translations from google translate).  My last known scores were 29%, 30%, and 18% (respectively), but you sadly don't get a final score at the game's end and the last save opportunity is quite a ways before the credits roll; I'm sure I didn't end higher than 50% in any score, though, so there's lots more to see.

I got this ending: http://www.nicovideo.jp/watch/sm1041580, but there's also this ending: http://www.nicovideo.jp/watch/sm30462917.  The latter has a fancier sequence at the end, perhaps HuVideo?

esteban

« Reply #369 on: July 13, 2017, 05:53:28 AM »
HuVIDEO!
  |    | 

Mathius

« Reply #370 on: July 13, 2017, 02:02:45 PM »
NEC/HE made such a big deal about HuVideo that if they added it to a special ending you'd think they would advertise it.
F@ck Ebay Club member since 2010
Switch Friend Code: SW-2346-3388-5406

Black Tiger

« Reply #371 on: July 14, 2017, 05:52:58 PM »
I love a lot of the artwork and pixelart in Tenchi Muyo, but haven't finished it before. That clip of the fmv looks 32-bit quality. I tried accessing it through the debug mode, but had no luck. :/
http://www.superpcenginegrafx.net/forum

Active and drama free PC Engine forum

Black Tiger

« Reply #372 on: July 15, 2017, 12:23:26 PM »
After reading through Necro's post again, I now finally understood it correctly that he didn't actually see this in the game, so I don't think it actually is a part of the PC Engine version.
http://www.superpcenginegrafx.net/forum

Active and drama free PC Engine forum

Necromancer

• Global Moderator
« Reply #373 on: July 17, 2017, 03:29:52 AM »
Yarr, I didn't see that clip in my play through, though the final battle and end credits before it were the same.  I only found the FMV when I went spelunking to see if there's different endings; it's entirely possible that whoever made that video clipped something from the anime or from the PC-FX game on at the end.

Necromancer

• Global Moderator
« Reply #374 on: September 15, 2017, 05:03:12 AM »
Clear #84 - Coryoon

A great shewty.  If you like Air Zonk, ya gotta give this close relative a try.

The Good:  super cute lil dragon; nice voices sprinkled about and goodish tunes; a motley group of silly looking enemies, some of which can get pretty aggressive; tons of parallax and oodles of sprites, yet flicker and slowdown are rarely an issue; and it has timed score modes for extra fun.

The Bad:  it's awfully easy with tons of weapon pickups (which let you take a hit) and extra lives handed out (though they max out at 9); while never ugly, the backgrounds lack the variety and detail found in Air Zonk; the fruit can get annoying (but can be disabled with a code), blocking your view of incoming bullets and weapons you might not want; it's not terrible, but it's unfortunate that they blew up the end game screen (above) to big clunky pixels instead of redrawing it to the correct resolution.