Author Topic: Necro's game clears and mindless musings  (Read 23556 times)

geise

Re: Necro's game clears and mindless musings
« Reply #405 on: January 17, 2018, 04:43:17 AM »
Everything about Exile 1 is better than WP in the US. I always had a hard time enjoying/completing WP but I can always have fun with the first Exile.

esteban

« Reply #406 on: January 17, 2018, 07:33:54 AM »
Everything about Exile 1 is better than WP in the US. I always had a hard time enjoying/completing WP but I can always have fun with the first Exile.

I agree. Exile was totally fun and enjoyable (multiple replays over the years)...

But Wicked Phenomanomanoaminsjfkfg?

Not an instantly charming game, even though I *want* to like it.
  |    | 

Gypsy

« Reply #407 on: January 17, 2018, 01:53:37 PM »
I guess I should try WP at some point. Low priority though.

ParanoiaDragon

« Reply #408 on: January 17, 2018, 08:06:14 PM »
The one thing I think WP does better, is the cinemas.  Ultimately, I don't feel like Exile has the greatest cinemas as far as animation, color & sharpness goes.  But WP shines, at least, comparatively to the previous game.  Not saying it looks & animates like a saturday morning cartoon, but it's deffinitely nicer to look at.

Necromancer

• Global Moderator
« Reply #409 on: January 18, 2018, 01:51:01 AM »
The sequel's are definitely better (especially in animation), but Exile's aren't bad for just a regular CD.

The US version is really easy, and presumably WD made it slightly more difficult so if that's the case the Japanese version likely beats itself.

Ha!  It's definitely not a tough one; other than the bird thing (f*ck him), even the bosses are pretty easy, especially if you use a couple stat buff drugs for 'em.
U.S. Collection: 97% complete    155/159 titles

seieienbu

« Reply #410 on: January 18, 2018, 08:42:54 AM »
Exile was a game I'd show people to demonstrate why CDs were cool.  Between the cinematic sequences and all the voice acting combined with a serviceable action game?  This, Ys (obviously), and Last Alert were generally what I'd show people early on. 

I've still never played the US release of the sequel.  I missed it completely back when and after getting back into older stuff everything I've read (plus the price tag) has kept me wary about the game.  At some point I'd like to get around to trying the game out but it sure sounds at least a bit miserable to play from the descriptions.
Current want list:  Bomberman 93

Necromancer

• Global Moderator
« Reply #411 on: January 18, 2018, 09:10:42 AM »
Do what I'm planning to do and play the un-worked designs patched version.  That way you get the best of both worlds: playing in English and with the original difficulty level.

Punch

« Reply #412 on: January 18, 2018, 10:06:56 AM »
Exile is one of my favorite flawed games on the system. So much potential but clearly rushed at some point in development :(

Mathius

« Reply #413 on: January 18, 2018, 10:13:05 AM »
Do what I'm planning to do and play the un-worked designs patched version.  That way you get the best of both worlds: playing in English and with the original difficulty level.

I did not know about this! Woo!
F@ck Ebay Club member since 2010
Switch Friend Code: SW-2346-3388-5406

Necromancer

• Global Moderator
« Reply #414 on: January 18, 2018, 10:19:10 AM »

The guy (supper) has patched all sorts of Working Designs games, including Cosmic Fantasy 2 to let Babs flip the bird and fix some minor stats changes:  http://www.romhacking.net/forum/index.php?topic=23436.0.

Not all heroes wear capes.  :mrgreen:

Punch

« Reply #415 on: January 18, 2018, 10:26:58 AM »
Oh by the way there's a series of youtube videos of this game that explain the religious references in annotations, plus the uploader is kinda insane lol. Worth checking out.

It only gets better from there.

Mathius

« Reply #416 on: January 18, 2018, 10:32:10 AM »

The guy (supper) has patched all sorts of Working Designs games, including Cosmic Fantasy 2 to let Babs flip the bird and fix some minor stats changes:  http://www.romhacking.net/forum/index.php?topic=23436.0.

Not all heroes wear capes.  :mrgreen:

Bookmarked. Thank you! Will these patches work on real hardwear?
F@ck Ebay Club member since 2010
Switch Friend Code: SW-2346-3388-5406

Necromancer

• Global Moderator
« Reply #417 on: January 18, 2018, 10:35:23 AM »
As far as I know they all do, though the only one I've tried so far is Wicked Phenomenon.

Gypsy

« Reply #418 on: January 18, 2018, 01:21:08 PM »
Exile was a game I'd show people to demonstrate why CDs were cool.  Between the cinematic sequences and all the voice acting combined with a serviceable action game?  This, Ys (obviously), and Last Alert were generally what I'd show people early on. 

We talking PCE only or any early CD games?

Definitely the way to go.

seieienbu

« Reply #419 on: January 18, 2018, 08:00:36 PM »

We talking PCE only or any early CD games?

I didn't have a cd drive for a computer for a few more years.  The first PC CD game I got was Warcraft 1 so I must have gotten it around 1994 or so.
Current want list:  Bomberman 93