Author Topic: Necro's game clears and mindless musings  (Read 23537 times)

esteban

Necro's game clears and mindless musings
« Reply #420 on: January 18, 2018, 10:32:13 PM »
Oh by the way there's a series of youtube videos of this game that explain the religious references in annotations, plus the uploader is kinda insane lol. Worth checking out.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RApaSQ3afiU

It only gets better from there.

I know this person has to be goofing...OR IS HE?

j/k, this person is off his meds.

Also, since we are talking about Exile, the game we know on PCE/TG-16 as “Exile” is actually the second installment...and the first game is supposed to be totally wacky/crazy with its plot/storyline/premise.

Or so I’ve been told, anyway.

Here is the most important thing:

I “fixed” the American flag featured in a boss fight, only to realize that the *original* design in the game is actually far more charming.

No, I’ve never played MSX Exile.

But I will.

Before I die.
« Last Edit: January 18, 2018, 10:40:40 PM by esteban »
  |    | 

ParanoiaDragon

Re: Necro's game clears and mindless musings
« Reply #421 on: January 18, 2018, 10:39:10 PM »
Yeah, I've wanted someone someday to go all out & make the first game on the Turbob, though it'd also be nice if someone hacked Exile to include the levels that were removed when porting it from the PC versions, to the Turbo.

Gypsy

« Reply #422 on: January 19, 2018, 12:34:29 AM »
Exile was a game I'd show people to demonstrate why CDs were cool.  Between the cinematic sequences and all the voice acting combined with a serviceable action game?  This, Ys (obviously), and Last Alert were generally what I'd show people early on. 

We talking PCE only or any early CD games?

I didn't have a cd drive for a computer for a few more years.  The first PC CD game I got was Warcraft 1 so I must have gotten it around 1994 or so.

Heh, my family was poor. I don't think we even had a PC until I want to say 98 or 99 and it was an old one removed from a bank when they got new ones.

xelement5x

« Reply #423 on: January 19, 2018, 04:13:42 AM »
I did not know about this! Woo!

The guy (supper) has patched all sorts of Working Designs games, including Cosmic Fantasy 2 to let Babs flip the bird and fix some minor stats changes:  http://www.romhacking.net/forum/index.php?topic=23436.0.

Not all heroes wear capes.  :mrgreen:

Bookmarked. Thank you! Will these patches work on real hardwear?

Yeah, I have messed with the Popful Mail one as well and it worked fine.  Popful Mail was always challenging with the difficulty as it was, though it was cheap in spots too considering the stat boosts.  The Un-Worked version is good if you want to play though the game without as much grinding for gold to buy items.
Gredler: spread her legs and push her down to make her more lively<br>***<br>majors: You used to be the great man, this icon we all looked up to and now your just a pico collecting 'tard...oh, how the mighty have fallen...<br>***<br>_joshuaTurbo: Sex, Lies, Rape and Arkhan. A TurboGrafx love story

Gypsy

« Reply #424 on: January 19, 2018, 08:28:22 AM »
Popful Mail is my favourite old Japanese game. It just has it all.

in99flames

« Reply #425 on: January 19, 2018, 08:43:00 AM »
I didnt know about those patches....this is something I must try.  Cant argue with fixing stuff :-P

Although I cant see a link on where to get the patches. It could be my phone but i see no links that point to his work.
« Last Edit: January 19, 2018, 09:05:53 AM by in99flames »
I am somebody's mommy!
----name that movie quote :)

Necromancer

• Global Moderator
« Reply #426 on: January 19, 2018, 09:21:12 AM »
The game titles and screen shot pics are the download links.
U.S. Collection: 97% complete    155/159 titles

Necromancer

• Global Moderator
« Reply #427 on: January 30, 2018, 08:55:09 AM »
Clear #88 - Exile: Wicked Phenomenon

Another good action RPG, but this time you definitely will want the un-worked designs patch to play in English but with the original (rather easy) difficulty level.  The normal US version is too frustrating to be fun.

The Good:  more great tunes and competent voice acting; even better cinemas and backgrounds; multiple characters to switch between for good replay, though I mostly stick to Sadler and his broad sword swing; funky diorama manual art with the added bonus of the JP version art on the back cover; less ridiculously long maze/door/hallway sequences; and Rumi lives!

The Bad:  just as short as the first; more WD "wit" (poopy boy, really?); all caps in text boxes; iffy hit detection and screen scroll is much too close to the screen edge, leading to no reaction time and cheap hits; loss of the overworld map, making the game even more linear than the first; and beginning is spelled with three n's - you got it right in the first game, dammit.

The Ugly:  It's only ugly without the patch, where you'll be hacking away at every enemy for far too long.

Gypsy

« Reply #428 on: January 30, 2018, 10:16:25 AM »
Yeah those early WD releases were really bad with the added jokes. It did kind of get better as they went.

lukester

« Reply #429 on: January 30, 2018, 10:59:45 AM »
Exile is a fun little game, and the genny port is almost as good. There was some kind of "future" section in the computer versions that wasn't in the remake.

The sequel looks nicer but Necro I agree, the loss of the map is a loss.

Punch

« Reply #430 on: January 30, 2018, 11:56:40 AM »
There was some kind of "future" section in the computer versions that wasn't in the remake.

I wish they kept it. It could have made the game much more memorable.

Necromancer

• Global Moderator
« Reply #431 on: January 31, 2018, 02:23:19 AM »
I forgot to mention how the main antagonist in WP made me think of Trump -

1.  His name is Do-Tar (dotard).
2.  He's a product of generations of anger, sadness, hate, jealousy, and despair.
3.  Those that submit to the inescapable power of his hate live without worry.  His followers fear nothing.

xelement5x

« Reply #432 on: January 31, 2018, 02:29:43 AM »
I forgot to mention how the main antagonist in WP made me think of Trump -

1.  His name is Do-Tar (dotard).
2.  He's a product of generations of anger, sadness, hate, jealousy, and despair.
3.  Those that submit to the inescapable power of his hate live without worry.  His followers fear nothing.

Wow, does he also work in real estate 'cause that would knock it out of the park!
Gredler: spread her legs and push her down to make her more lively<br>***<br>majors: You used to be the great man, this icon we all looked up to and now your just a pico collecting 'tard...oh, how the mighty have fallen...<br>***<br>_joshuaTurbo: Sex, Lies, Rape and Arkhan. A TurboGrafx love story

Necromancer

• Global Moderator
« Reply #433 on: February 14, 2018, 09:29:50 AM »
Clear #89 - Space Adventure Cobra

This is one weird game.  Ever been chased by a t-rex, hatched a baby dragon, and been eaten by a giant shark shaped spaceship and pooped back out in an escape pod?  It's all in a day's work for our hero.

The Good:  it's filled with crazy scenarios and freaky people, all of which are nicely drawn, detailed, and colorful; the scenes are mostly static, but they change regularly so you're not stuck looking at the same pic for long; lots of scantily clad ladies, some even topless; mostly good tunes, particularly the end credits track (it coulda been an Exile tune); 'tis fairly linear and easy to make progress in even if you don't read moonrunes, though I had to hit up Duomazov for the one numeric code sequence; and it's impossible to get a game over, letting you get through each clinch point using trial and error.

The Bad:  a few tunes are bland and/or grating; the pictures don't do as good of a job telling the story as some other digi-comics, so I didn't follow the story very well; and there's a couple seizure inducing flicker shit screens right near the end.

The Ugly:  some of the scary peeps you meet.

Mathius

« Reply #434 on: February 14, 2018, 11:00:49 AM »
^^I need to get with it and start playing this series. I've had a loose copy of the 2nd game for eons but haven't played it much since my OCD demands I play the 1st one, um, first. A cheap copy will come my way one day.
F@ck Ebay Club member since 2010
Switch Friend Code: SW-2346-3388-5406