Author Topic: Necro's game clears and mindless musings  (Read 11645 times)

Necromancer

• Global Moderator
Re: Necro's game clears and mindless musings
« Reply #555 on: July 07, 2021, 08:06:09 PM »
I actually stopped playing the Sega CD version a few years back, because it was so borked in difficulty.

Heh, it's not that bad.  Ya gotta try it again with the patch; it's worth it!

Clear #118 - Cleopatra's Curse

Another damn good homebrew game.  Y'all better snag a copy and give some play time!

The Good:  lots of exploration in multiple big areas/levels; many items to find and buy; several different enemies and bosses with well varied attacks; a decent challenge and fairly long game; and two endings.

The Bad:  some of the whip swinging feels cheap as hell, particularly when you fall to your death from a missed swing; a few glitchy (stuck) tiles are annoying but at least they don't affect gameplay; you can't really re-explore the dark areas (no torches); and the 'bad' ending is too short at just a single screen and no credit roll.

The Ugly:  DickfaceTAS!   :cook:

Edit - I was incorrect; after completing the whole dark area and able to exit, the lights come on and you can explore to your heart's content.  8)
« Last Edit: September 26, 2021, 08:24:22 PM by Necromancer »
U.S. Collection: 97% complete    153/157 titles

roflmao

« Reply #556 on: July 10, 2021, 12:55:03 AM »
Another damn good homebrew game.  Y'all better snag a copy and give some play time!

The Good:  lots of exploration in multiple big areas/levels; many items to find and buy; several different enemies and bosses with well varied attacks; a decent challenge and fairly long game; and two endings.

The Bad:  some of the whip swinging feels cheap as hell, particularly when you fall to your death from a missed swing; a few glitchy (stuck) tiles are annoying but at least they don't affect gameplay; you can't really re-explore the dark areas (no torches); and the 'bad' ending is too short at just a single screen and no credit roll.

The Ugly:  DickfaceTAS!   :cook:

Congrats!

I need to get back to this! Every time I sit down with it, I feel like I'm getting a little farther. It's no cakewalk, though.

Using a six-button controller really helps out, imo.

Necromancer

• Global Moderator
« Reply #557 on: September 26, 2021, 08:39:01 PM »
Clear #118.5 - Cleopatra's Curse Demo

If you haven't bought this yet (and what the fuck are you waiting for?!?), at least play the demo.  It gives you a great taste of what the whole game is like, being nearly the first third of the game in its entirety.

Necromancer

• Global Moderator
« Reply #558 on: September 30, 2021, 10:53:35 PM »
Clear #119 - Bomberman '94

The Good:  fantasticly fun and bouncy tunes; much more variety in map layouts (no more basic grids) with great detail and animations (the wavy screen and swimming fishes are my favorite), and there's even a few interactive elements in the background (mine cart rides, barrel smashes, etc); cute little kangaroos to ride on, though they're mostly only good for absorbing one hit; cool but not terribly tough bosses; and the best multiplayer vs. experience with lots of maps, environment hazards, and different Bomberman types with differing play styles (when computer controlled).

The Bad:  it feels rather short, though longplays show all three games with similar completion times; you can cheap out and not kill all enemies before exiting each level, making the game even easier; and I can't help but feel bad about blowing up poor 'roo eggs.

The Ugly:  going back to replay earlier worlds and finding out that you can't leave....