Author Topic: got my moded duo back no screen shown  (Read 1521 times)

ProfessorProfessorson

Re: got my moded duo back no screen shown
« Reply #15 on: September 14, 2012, 07:12:05 AM »
tell me again why using a dab of a nonconductive, easy to apply and remove glue that will keep a wire in place undisturbed for years, is a bad idea?
Because the nobody with 11 post and ZERO reputation, who hasn't posted any of his countless prior work on Nec systems, because he has no such experience to speak of, says so, so it must be teh law. Isn't that good enough a reason for everyone here? Surely it must be? Evidently he can bind and hold down wires on the power of his words alone.

Drakon

« Reply #16 on: September 14, 2012, 08:34:24 AM »
That's total B.S.  The 32x comes from the factory with soldered in wires that have hot glue holding them in place.  The whole reason why I'm posting more here than sega16 lately is because people here seem to understand things like a little "ugly" hot glue makes for much more durable mod-work.  There's a lot of forums full of idiots who automatically call a mod horrible because the wires are secured with hot glue.  One of my clients had tiny wires break off from his spdif modded snes from simple handling because they weren't glued in place.  And I fully agree that mods should never look "clean", they're post built additions which should look a bit ugly even when done right.  To me good mod-work means a mod that's just as durable as the rest of the console.  Not something that's going to fall out or pop off from too much shaking.  I don't care how ugly the work is as long as it's nice and solid.

Or problems like this can happen from a wire coming loose because a lot of "modders" think for some reason that using hot glue to hold a wire firmly in place looks "horrible" and "un-professional".
It does... A correctly soldered wire of decent gauge should provide a sufficient mechanical connection. If you open up a professionally made piece of electronic equipment you don't see hot glue all over the place.
« Last Edit: September 14, 2012, 08:43:13 AM by Drakon »
http://16bitgamer.forumotion.ca/

NightWolve: "I'd say ole XGay fears another relapse, hence the need for strong, daily hetero reinforcement on his desktop. ;)"

Jibbajaba: "The problem with trying to flame Regal is that it's like trying to gut-punch a really fat person."

thesteve

« Reply #17 on: September 14, 2012, 08:51:04 AM »
agreed

NightWolve

« Reply #18 on: September 14, 2012, 10:52:13 AM »
So what's the status of the component mod, steve/8bitForLife ? I still haven't implemented steve's cheap component circuit design, I have to order some different caps and a triple component RCA mount, but I gotta do it soon since the Ys IV dub is almost ready (within days) and I wanna play the whole game on my old 32" CRT via a component connection.

thesteve

« Reply #19 on: September 14, 2012, 11:04:23 AM »
looks like the luma input came off the board somehow in shipping

Bernie

« Reply #20 on: September 14, 2012, 11:48:09 AM »
Sorry, but I think that is rubbish. I have NEVER used hot glue in any of the modifications I've done, and I have NEVER had a single solder joint or plug/socket come loose.

As far as I'm concerned, only cowboys use glue.

Yep, this one is up for new a-hole of the week I see.....

NightWolve

« Reply #21 on: September 14, 2012, 12:37:02 PM »
Sorry guys, but I've gotta do it: "I will NEVER use hot glue! NEVER have and NEVER will! You understand me, buddy??? NEVER I say! NNNNNEEEEVVVVVVEEEEEERRRRRR!"

:lol:

turbokon

« Reply #22 on: September 14, 2012, 12:49:35 PM »
I've used hot glue to secure components and wires in place, but never purposely over a soldered joint just because I might have to tweak or undo something.
Turbo fan since 1991 after owning my first system.

Check out my website:)
www.tg16pcemods.com

HercTNT

« Reply #23 on: September 14, 2012, 01:04:10 PM »
I use hot glue for very small connections that benefit from said glue as to not come apart. More importantly those of us who are newer to modding and make frequent mistakes, hot glue gives us the chance to go back and fix those mistakes.

Hewitson

« Reply #24 on: September 14, 2012, 02:05:28 PM »
Sorry, but I think that is rubbish. I have NEVER used hot glue in any of the modifications I've done, and I have NEVER had a single solder joint or plug/socket come loose.

I might be an a-hole, but at least my work is of a professional standard.

NightWolve

« Reply #25 on: September 14, 2012, 02:08:18 PM »

And anyone who uses some glue just for a little extra protection in case of a pulling action (e.g. say it's carelessly opened up by the owner in the future, etc.) their work is not of a professional standard ?? Pfffft. Yeah, let's start a flame war over this......

ProfessorProfessorson

« Reply #26 on: September 14, 2012, 02:37:42 PM »

Says the guy who has posted NOTHING of his own work, who has no experience with any NEC systems. Put your money where your mouth is. Provide us with names of people you have done work for, and links to show the countless projects you have done with detailed pics. Basically guy, TOGTFO, because you are trolling this thread. None of your post have helped anything and you have been wasting time posting bullshit.

Vecanti

« Reply #27 on: September 14, 2012, 02:54:21 PM »

You don't use Mil-Spec grade solder and wire by chance do you?  (just checking if I know you from another forum)

thesteve

« Reply #28 on: September 14, 2012, 03:12:28 PM »

You don't use Mil-Spec grade solder and wire by chance do you?  (just checking if I know you from another forum)

lol I do

8bitForLife

« Reply #29 on: September 14, 2012, 04:37:02 PM »
Its my console thesteve worked on his work is top notch we think it might be some unknown compatibility as the mod is working and it shows graphics on the y input in black and white with composite so its able to handle the 240p over component. So he think we could make a pass through cord of some kind if im correct in that's what hes thinking. Its just hard as i have no electronic knowledge whats so ever in this kind of work. I plan on taking a class at the college here and also a Cisco class after December.
Turbo Duo Rx Turbo Grafx 16, Atari 2600 5200 7800 Jaguar + CD Starpath Supercharger, Gba DS DSI 3Ds Nes Snes N64 VB GC Wii, Xbox Xbox 360, Ps1 Ps2 Ps3 Psp Fat Psp slim, GenesisV3 CDX Nomad Saturn Dreamcast JP USA, NGPC

http://www.pcedaisakusen.net/2/34/530/show-collection.htm