Author Topic: Anearth Fantasy Stories - Translation Project Thread  (Read 8298 times)

Xak

Re: Anearth Fantasy Stories - Translation Project Thread
« Reply #45 on: October 26, 2013, 12:50:48 PM »
any news is better than no news.

Is this the game where the beginning its snowing with a crying baby? If so WOW amazing. I support any and all Huey and CD translations. I did Neutopia in spanish 100%
Im a real life Sadler, just take me to the nearest item shop.

I have aspergers, and am a recovering Tonicholic

Black Tiger

« Reply #46 on: October 26, 2013, 01:04:33 PM »
I played through earlier this year on the Android Mednafen. I'll see if I can find the save state files.
http://www.superpcenginegrafx.net/forum

Active and drama free PC Engine forum

Xak

« Reply #47 on: October 27, 2013, 05:02:02 AM »
Blood Gear would be sex

SamIAm

« Reply #48 on: October 27, 2013, 05:24:42 AM »
BigusSchmuck: That would be cool. If you think it's something you can do, let me know when you start, and I'll let everyone know that you've got it.

Black Tiger: Even if you only have one or two savestates, if they're far enough into the game that the later towns are unlocked, that would be pretty significant. We could get huge chunks of text that way. Let me know if you find anything!

EDIT: The thing about Blood Gear is that it's got so many prolonged cutscenes with lots of dialogue, it's really hard to do without either a huge dubbing effort or some kind of custom subtitle system.

Also, I can't help but notice that Japanese reviews almost always pan this game.

I'd do it if someone wanted to get on the hacking, because it's not a very long game. But this is the problem with the PCE translation scene - there aren't enough hackers.
« Last Edit: October 27, 2013, 05:37:54 AM by SamIAm »

m1savage

« Reply #49 on: October 27, 2013, 01:27:03 PM »
I've got huge amounts of savestates for this game but unfortunately none in Mednafen. Glad to see it's still being worked on!

Black Tiger

« Reply #50 on: October 28, 2013, 12:48:10 AM »
Here's what I found in the folders of screen shots I transferred to my computer-

http://superpcenginegrafx.net/misc/afsss.zip
http://www.superpcenginegrafx.net/forum

Active and drama free PC Engine forum

NightWolve

« Reply #51 on: October 29, 2013, 04:00:27 PM »
As it stands, it's looking like the best way to locate all the text is to use savestate hacking. Right now, we don't have very much text dumped because we just haven't gotten that far into the game. I've beaten it once, but it was on a real system.

Yeap, that was the trick that I showed Neill Corlett BITD for the Ys IV project before taking it over! He had successfully found the decompression code, correctly converted it from PCE Assembly to "C", but he could NOT find a text block searching through the 65 Meg data track - the project under Akimaru and him had stalled up to that point. After I was introduced to him via Akimaru and began working with them to get the job done, I noticed that with the YAME emulator you could save a state file in some town (Minea let's say), dismount the game CD image or eject the drive if using a real disc, and then with just the 512 KB state file and reloading it, you could talk to all of the townspeople and everything would work to a point, up until you'd exit the town, or cause some "event" to occur, etc. You could very quickly load and play the game on any computer without the Ys IV CD. So yeah, it dawned on me, "Hey, SOMEWHERE in that small 512 KB state file, there's a compressed text block!!" Instead of going crazy trying to find something in 65 MBs of data, your search range was now reduced to 512 KB!

That was a pretty cool moment for me cause I was inexperienced at the time, was trying to learn as much as possible, and here was the famous Neill Corlett from the "Seiken Densetsu 3" SNES project who was stuck on something that I actually managed to help him with which finally led to the dumping of the whole script! His knowledge, compared to my knowledge at the time, I mean, he was at a genius level... I never even learned to understand the decompression algorithm, but thankfully, I didn't have to (thanks to David Shadoff).

Unlike in your case though, we were lucky because each block (except for the last) begins with the text for the menu system and "PLAYTIME" doesn't get encoded by the compressor. I actually spotted "PLAYTIME" while browsing a state file and pointed Neill to that offset, and next thing I know, the whole script is dumped!!! For whatever reason, Hudson had to repeat all the menu text with each and every area, so as a result, every text block begins with a unique stream of bytes! The only oddball case though was for the DeBug area after you beat the game and get to speak with the Hudson developers, hear their jokes, etc. I had to track that text block down myself (the menu system obviously wasn't needed anymore for that). No biggie obviously!

Anyway, happy hacking/translating!
« Last Edit: October 29, 2013, 04:18:24 PM by NightWolve »

SamIAm

« Reply #52 on: October 31, 2013, 11:13:34 AM »
Here's what I found in the folders of screen shots I transferred to my computer-

http://superpcenginegrafx.net/misc/afsss.zip

Got 'em. Thank you, Black Tiger! This should be useful.

Xak

« Reply #53 on: November 04, 2013, 01:03:20 PM »
I never thought this game would get translated . Dreams do come true.

Bardoly

« Reply #54 on: January 15, 2014, 05:01:18 AM »
Keep up the good work, and I hope to hear an update for the new year!

wyndcrosser

« Reply #55 on: January 18, 2014, 06:50:46 AM »
Would it make more sense to record yourself as we play this game, so you can find the text?

Trenton_net

« Reply #56 on: January 23, 2014, 06:17:53 AM »
Great stuff. This looks like it will be amazing. Now all we need is someone to do something epic. Like translate Snatcher!

RyuHayabusa

« Reply #57 on: January 23, 2014, 11:53:21 PM »
This game looks amazing! Good luck with this project!!!

tknjin

« Reply #58 on: March 17, 2014, 07:48:33 PM »
This is hands down one of my favorite Jrpgs on the PC engine SCD.  The sprites and 2D are just absolutely stunning, but I do notice not a lot of people notice this game.  The quality work of the seiyuus, and the story was truly a great one.  I am glad to see that this is getting worked on.  Maybe if I do another playthrough and get through that part I will see if I can help out. 

BigusSchmuck

« Reply #59 on: March 28, 2014, 06:41:56 PM »
Do you still need help? I got more free time before harves and I can help anyway possible. Let me know.