Author Topic: Ys series what ones do you like.  (Read 845 times)

fraggore

Ys series what ones do you like.
« on: April 23, 2013, 08:21:19 AM »
hello everyone i have recently been playing the ys games and are wondering what people think of them. i have just played through Ys 1 and 2 again and after like 15 years i still really enjoyed playing then fun to play, so i thought i would try some of the other games and see if they were up to the quality of 1 and 2 so here we go.

Ys 3 i gave it a go mmm not liking it scrolling is a bit crap plays ok but just doesn't have sparkle that 1 and 2 have so should i moved on or stick with it.

Ys 4 got my self a translated copy put it in the duo first thoughts ohhh this looks nice a bit improvement on the first too, so proceeded to play enjoyable good music plays like the first game seems good fun, so i have played it for about 10 maybe 12 hours just got past the stone\ice guardian the one where you have to hit the guy in ice spinning around pain in the arse had to do some serious grinding to get past him. its a good game but seems a bit lacking something can put my finger on it and i still think 1 and 2 are better, properly just me as from what i can see everyone loves it so i am i just missing something and should i stick with it ?.

Ys 5 haven't played.

Ys 6 only played it briefly looks good i got the pc version installed and ready to when i got time.

Ys 7 havent played it i hered its been released on pc so hope there is a translation at some point.

Ys origin just played through it have to say i loved it plays realy well cool guardians nice graphics and there a really good translation for it.

Ys The Oath in Felghana remakee of 3 i believe i have this on my pc haven't got around to playing it much but it looks really nice.

Ys Memories of Celceta vita havent played as i dont own a vita but looks pretty dame good i want to play it.

Ys Strategy ds havent seen or played it so is it worth getting i do have a ds.

Ys Chronicles Plus I and 2 remakes of the first 2 ys games and a re branding and touch up on the first released Ys chronicles for pc, both games look very nice and have just been put on steam translated i got them installed and plan to play through both.

I know there is a few other games don't know much about them or is they have been translated here is the list.

Ys V: Lost Kefin, Kingdom of Sand Ps2

Ys vs. Sora no Kiseki: Alternative Saga Psp

Ys IV: Mask of the Sun - A New Theory Ps2

Ys IV: Mask of the Sun Super famicom

Ys V: Ushinawareta Suna no Miyako Kefin Super famicom

Ys online

Thew that was a big list, so have any of you played some of the games what ones do you think are best, whats been translated, are the pc engine\tg 16 games still considered the best  and any recommendation on what ones i should play.

I know a lot of these games are not on the engine but that where it started for me my love of Ys games tho thinking about it i played 1 on the master system first, but it was the tg16 version that got me hooked as i must of played through 1 and 2 like 15 times so would be cool to here your opinions on the Ys series.

P.S i know it started on the PC-8801 but i don't live in japan or understand moon language i should try and learn.
« Last Edit: April 23, 2013, 08:39:36 AM by fraggore »
I always wanted a thing called tuna sashemie

"All your base are belong to us"

Arkhan

• Fuck Elmer.
    • Incessant Negativity Software
Re: Y.S series what ones do you like.
« Reply #1 on: April 23, 2013, 08:23:59 AM »
I demand you fix the title of this thread, right now.
[Fri 19:34]<nectarsis> been wanting to try that one for awhile now Ope
[Fri 19:33]<Opethian> l;ol huge dong

I'm a max level Forum Warrior.  I'm immortal.
If you're not ready to defend your claims, don't post em.

turboswimbz

« Reply #2 on: April 23, 2013, 08:29:19 AM »

+327846102753025734
NW: Hey, I made it on this psycho's Enemies' List, how about that ?? ;)

BT: Look at how the fake SFII' carts instantly sold out and were immediately listed on eBay before the flippers even took possession. Look at Nintendo's overpriced bricks. Look at the typical forum discussions elsewhere.

You can't tell most retro gamers anything!

Spenoza: The wannabe masculinity just overwhelms.

sunteam_paul

« Reply #3 on: April 23, 2013, 08:39:18 AM »

+327846102753025734

+googol

Only then can we begin a civilised discussion.
The PC Engine Software Bible
Quote from: Tatsujin
I just felt in a hole!

Punch

« Reply #4 on: April 23, 2013, 08:39:23 AM »
I like Ys, but I'm not sure if I experienced any of the games from the Y.S series.

fraggore

Re: Ys series what ones do you like.
« Reply #5 on: April 23, 2013, 08:40:15 AM »

hows that.

sunteam_paul

« Reply #6 on: April 23, 2013, 08:48:43 AM »

hows that.

Ah, I can breathe out now.

Ys 1 & 2 by far the best in the series. PCE version amazing, PC Ys Eternal amazing, yet somehow missing some of the dramatic feeling of the PCE version which is odd.

Ys 3 is an odd one, but the music makes it great and it's still hugely addictive and fun.

Ys 4. I'm still playing through the translation and I'm finding myself in agreement with you. There's just something missing - it seems more like a constant grind to the next area than a story. I'm actually considering downgrading the rating on my site.

Ys 7 was decent, some nice references to the old ones, but lacking in a really compelling story I felt.

Oath in Felghana is brilliant purely because it expands and fills in the Ys 3 storyline, making it much more interesting.

Ys Origin is very very very very awesome. Although it's almost a remake of the original Ys puzzles, the story is fantastic as it fills in a lot of history - and you have to play through as every character to really get the most from it. Fact is real fun, almost like playing a shooter.
I just felt in a hole!

fraggore

« Reply #7 on: April 23, 2013, 09:08:40 AM »
yea 4 seems like a grind to me as well evey time i get a bit more into it i have to spend an age grinding.

mmm didn't know you could play different characters on origin i am going to have to go back to than, really fun game plays well.

sunteam_paul

« Reply #8 on: April 23, 2013, 09:35:36 AM »
mmm didn't know you could play different characters on origin i am going to have to go back to than, really fun game plays well.

Each character on Origin fills in a little bit more of the overall plot. It's clever and really very good. I had misgivings before I played it because it sounded like a whole game set in a tower was going to be dull. Not true.
I just felt in a hole!

Necromancer

• Global Moderator
« Reply #9 on: April 23, 2013, 09:41:41 AM »
I've only played through I - IV on the Turbob and Ys Chronicles on the PSP (so far), and I think they're all f*cking great.  If you think Ys III sucks or that Ys IV plods along, please go f*ck yourself.   :mrgreen:
U.S. Collection: 97% complete    155/159 titles

Arkhan

• Fuck Elmer.
    • Incessant Negativity Software
« Reply #10 on: April 23, 2013, 10:18:12 AM »
[Fri 19:34]<nectarsis> been wanting to try that one for awhile now Ope
[Fri 19:33]<Opethian> l;ol huge dong

I'm a max level Forum Warrior.  I'm immortal.
If you're not ready to defend your claims, don't post em.

vestcoat

« Reply #11 on: April 23, 2013, 11:03:10 AM »
Love all of the TurboGrafx games. Got IV on the SNES for a few bucks, but I have no patience stumbling through RPG's I can't read.

geise

« Reply #12 on: April 23, 2013, 11:09:18 AM »
+ infinity to verything sunteam_paul said.

Sadler

« Reply #13 on: April 23, 2013, 12:15:13 PM »
Ys I & II are awesome, but I'm gonna say it. I think they may be a wee bit overrated on this forum. Like I said, great games, but c'mon, they aren't better than IV. And here's where I blow minds: III is probably my favorite. The scrolling is fine, give it up already. It doesn't detract from the game and honestly I think it looks nice in a lot of areas. I'm also a sucker for side scrolling action RPGs. :)

Black Tiger

« Reply #14 on: April 23, 2013, 02:22:13 PM »
I don't understand the comments about Ys IV being more of a grind and/or being less of a story than I & II. The original was a one off game that was almost all grinding gameplay. Ys II was a huge expansion in every way, but still almost completely gameplay driven. The PCE version tacks on voice acting and a bit of cinema art, but The Dawn of Ys is still practically a digicomic compared to PCE Ys I & II. And although Ys IV packs well balanced gameplay variety, the weakest aspect is only that it's way too easy and the only grinding I have to do is when I reach a boss too soon and am not allowed to damage it. As amazing as Dawn of Ys is in general, it still incorporates and celebrates I & II, making it the ultimate Ys game and harder for me to appreciate the many remakes and sequels that followed.
http://www.superpcenginegrafx.net/forum

Active and drama free PC Engine forum