Author Topic: Help list the hard to find PCE SHMUPS  (Read 1896 times)

98pacecar

Re: Help list the hard to find PCE SHMUPS
« Reply #15 on: December 01, 2013, 07:43:35 AM »
at a certain point there are titles that more or less end up as shelf filler

:(

I understand it's not a popular thing, but it's the reality of my available time to game anymore. With a 40+ hour a week job and a family to take care of, my time left for gaming is pretty limited compared to what it used to be. Have to take care of the important stuff before I worry about leisure time.

Sometimes I wish I had more time, but my job is what gives me the opportunity to attain the games I play and I know at some point, I will have more time and will have a nice library to dig into and enjoy. In the meantime, I'll almost always pick a title like Nexzr over a title like Deep Blue, so it stands to reason that Deep Blue will end up being filler. Not to say I won't ever try it again, but it will just have to wait until I have more time to spare.

Lochlan

« Reply #16 on: December 01, 2013, 08:54:06 AM »
I don't understand the need to hoard games you say you have neither the time nor desire to play.  Truthfully my purchasing habits are probably not terribly different from yours and I work about 50 hours a week, so I get where you're coming from when you say you'd rather spend what time you have playing good games.  That all makes sense.

The part I don't get is where you buy Deep Blue and let it rot on a shelf.  That's hoarding, and it is a disease that has turned this hobby into a checklist game for old men with too much money instead of a way to spend leisure time.  But it is your money and I can't stop you.  Actually I don't care that you do this as an individual, but this paradigm of how to engage old game collections has become the standard and it is upsetting for those of us who just want to play.  When game collecting becomes about acquisition rather than playing, something is terribly wrong.

At least you aren't one of those sealed games people, so good on you for that much I guess.
I'm not sorry about this, as I'm not sorry about ANY attack by the goverrats.

PunkicCyborg

« Reply #17 on: December 01, 2013, 09:20:07 AM »
Well you can't play all your games all the time, that's totally understandable. I too would love to own every pce shooter (or every pce game) and yeah there are lots of games that once you play through there's really not much desire to go back too. Heavy Unit, Legion, come on who really plays those games more than once. I don't think I'm denying anyone the chance to play those games as they are readily available online for sale to anyone who wants to get them.
(19:28:25) GE0: superdead told me in whisper that his favorite game is mario paint

98pacecar

« Reply #18 on: December 01, 2013, 10:11:11 AM »
I don't understand the need to hoard games you say you have neither the time nor desire to play.  Truthfully my purchasing habits are probably not terribly different from yours and I work about 50 hours a week, so I get where you're coming from when you say you'd rather spend what time you have playing good games.  That all makes sense.

The part I don't get is where you buy Deep Blue and let it rot on a shelf.  That's hoarding, and it is a disease that has turned this hobby into a checklist game for old men with too much money instead of a way to spend leisure time.  But it is your money and I can't stop you.  Actually I don't care that you do this as an individual, but this paradigm of how to engage old game collections has become the standard and it is upsetting for those of us who just want to play.  When game collecting becomes about acquisition rather than playing, something is terribly wrong.

At least you aren't one of those sealed games people, so good on you for that much I guess.

Wow, that escalated quickly. I have to admit, I've never been called a hoarder before and I'm not real sure how to respond to it. I guess I should be offended and see a doctor for my "disease" before it gets any worse! However, I do take offense to the accusation that I have neither the time NOR DESIRE to play many of the games I buy. Nowhere did I say that I buy games just to have them and that is very far from the truth. I play everything that enters my collection as I get it and usually end up going back at some point, though that's not an absolute. I mean, really, how many times does someone need to play Pepsiman or Superman N64 to know how bad they are? 

But, let's analyze this a bit. Say I want to see if Deep Blue really is as bad as everybody says. Should I pirate it and play it on a flash cart? Personally, I'm against that and would rather spend the few dollars to buy the game and try it legitimately. I'm not going to say that the people that would d/load the ROM and try it that way are wrong, it's just not what I would do. Could I sell it once I'm done? Sure. But I don't need to. Maybe when I have more time, I'll come back around to it. Maybe not, but it doesn't make sense to me to buy something, try it, and then sell it again immediately. Personal preference, but it is how I have operated for a long time and it has served me very well to date.

Well you can't play all your games all the time, that's totally understandable. I too would love to own every pce shooter (or every pce game) and yeah there are lots of games that once you play through there's really not much desire to go back too. Heavy Unit, Legion, come on who really plays those games more than once. I don't think I'm denying anyone the chance to play those games as they are readily available online for sale to anyone who wants to get them.

Ah and here is a lot of wisdom. A person can only really play 1 game at a time, so why bother owning more than 1? Now I think everybody will agree that this is a ridiculous argument and nobody is going to buy a single game, play it, and sell it before buying another one. But as Punkic says, it's not like I'm keeping these games from anybody else. I'm buying a single copy out of, in most cases, tens of thousands to play and collect. If I were one of the guys buying up every copy of some particular game, you'd have a completely legit reason to be upset. But I'm not and I have less than zero interest in doing so.

I can only think of a very small handful of games where owning a single copy makes any sort of dent in the available stock, but maybe I'm mistaken. Is there something you are thinking of that would fit this case? Did my theoretical copy of Deep Blue prevent you from buying your own? How many copies would need to be purchased before you are truly denied a chance to own one? I suspect the number is high enough that it will never come to pass and honestly, could never actually happen based on the way a free market works.

Sorry you seem so upset about this, but I don't think you have any reason to be. Everybody collects for themselves and everybody does it the way that makes them happy, or at least works for their situation. That's the great thing about collecting games, there are so many different ways to do it and none of them are any more right or wrong than any other. You travel your path, I travel mine, and every other collector travels theirs. Perhaps we have some common interests and can help each other by sharing information or recommendations, or perhaps someone just gets upset and offends someone else. I've seen it both ways, but at the end of the day, it doesn't really matter how it goes down. Everybody is going to acquire games the way that they want to and do with them what they please. It's a hobby and it should be for fun, nothing more.

esteban

« Reply #19 on: December 01, 2013, 10:51:15 AM »
98pacecar, don't worry 

There are all different folks here. Some of us are more tolerant than others. Some of us rant occasionally (Lochlan) whilst others are set to perma-diatribe (a wonderful misfit named Zeta who, sadly, hasn't posted in a long time).

Collecting for the sake of collecting is not something we talk about "too" much here because many folks are actively playing games. 

Since you are the "new" soul who braved to join us, you may not know that many folks here have a distaste for collecting stuff (be they cereal boxes, One Direction on vinyl, or HuCARDS).

Personally, I never dismiss a game until I've tried it myself and given it an honest chance to speak to me.

I am a game whisperer.

I find pleasure in finding something to appreciate in most games....no matter how brief those moments may be.

Therefore, I have many games that I only occasionally go back to these days.

But they all occupy a special place in my engorged, possibly arrhythmic, heart.

They are my children—I couldn't bear to throw any of them away.

Even the horrid child who is insufferable and brings nothing but pain deserves a home: be it on the shelf or in my heart.

BLESSED CHILDREN, I WILL NEVER FORSAKE YOU.

(In other words, welcome, comrade! You have survived the asylum).
« Last Edit: December 01, 2013, 10:59:44 AM by esteban »
  |    | 

vestcoat

« Reply #20 on: December 01, 2013, 12:09:09 PM »
Hi guys! I'm new here and I LOVE the TurboGrafx shooters!

This may be hard to believe, but even though I'm a totes TURBO shooter diehard, I'm clueless regarding the extent of the library. But don't worry: I've already committed to buying everything I don't know exists and I never wanted previously. However many games shooters there are, I'll buy 'em! Six games or eight hundred and ninety-two, it doesn't matter, I need them sealed in protective cases on my shelf ASAP. Just tell me what YOU consider a set. Do those Sapphire bootlegs some guy made in his living room count? Tell me what other collectors are buying and I'll buy it too! Tats has 111 shooters, should I buy those? Do I need both versions of Magical Chase or just one? How do you spot a bootleg Sapphire? I fancy myself a collector, but I have no clue what real PCE discs look like, so please point me toward a FAQ. Is 1941 a SGX game? I HAVE NO CLUE!

I may have a family, but don't worry - money is no object. Neither is playability or enjoyment. But please, no pirating! Duplicating antique, twenty-year-old kids toys programmed by defunct/bankrupt non-human entities that once existed on the other side of the planet is WRONG. Enjoying a video game without supporting the inflated, secondary market of speculating parasites and price-gouging resellers is THEFT! You wouldn't steal a purse, would you?
I could go on.

Tatsujin

« Reply #21 on: December 01, 2013, 01:01:19 PM »

well, plain and simple game collecting doesn't even nearly equal to game hoarding. if your goal is to own every pce game, or any other game of any consoles out there, then it be so. people like to collect all kind of shit since almost ever. some can understand that behavior and some can't. you're obvioulsy coming from the latter stable. but accusing every collector to be a hoarder is as ridiculous as accusing every worker to be money-hungry.

some peeps just like to have their games around, that they won't or can't part with them, doesn't even matter how good or bad it is. they like to have it aroud like a music record/cd. obviously mostly sitting on the shelf, but when the right moment has arrived, ready to be fired up. not that much of difficult to be understand, ain't it?
www.pcedaisakusen.net
the home of your individual PC Engine collection!!
PCE Games coundown: 690/737 (47 to go or 93.6% clear)
PCE Shmups countdown: 111/111 (all clear!!)
Sega does what Nintendon't, but only NEC does better than both together!^^

Lochlan

« Reply #22 on: December 01, 2013, 01:43:16 PM »
well, plain and simple game collecting doesn't even nearly equal to game hoarding

Sure.  And that's not what I said.  It sounds like you have a pretty fundamental misunderstanding of what I wrote.

Purchasing a game with the knowledge that you don't have the time or inclination to play it is hoarding, I don't see how that's a particularly controversial viewpoint.  I mean, the OP used the phrase "shelf filler" for Pete's sake, lol.  We can debate the ethics of such an approach until the cows come home--although I've already said how I feel here, there's no reason for me to go on with that debate.  I find playing the checklist game distasteful, you may not.  Whatever.
« Last Edit: December 01, 2013, 01:46:15 PM by Lochlan »

Tatsujin

« Reply #23 on: December 01, 2013, 02:00:34 PM »
well, plain and simple game collecting doesn't even nearly equal to game hoarding

Sure.  And that's not what I said.  It sounds like you have a pretty fundamental misunderstanding of what I wrote.

Purchasing a game with the knowledge that you don't have the time or inclination to play it is hoarding, I don't see how that's a particularly controversial viewpoint.  I mean, the OP used the phrase "shelf filler" for Pete's sake, lol.  We can debate the ethics of such an approach until the cows come home--although I've already said how I feel here, there's no reason for me to go on with that debate.  I find playing the checklist game distasteful, you may not.  Whatever.

still the same object. simply buying a game for the collection is still no hoarding imho. even it isn't a game intended for much play time.

I have severals games I just fired up once for pure checking reasons. stuff like uberboring ancient japanese civil war simulations or a karaoke box "games" etc. that I bought it for only one reason of completing my pce collection. maybe i will take a closer look at those once in the future, but sure not now that i have still plenty of top tier titles to fiddle around with.
« Last Edit: December 01, 2013, 02:09:01 PM by Tatsujin »
www.pcedaisakusen.net
the home of your individual PC Engine collection!!
PCE Games coundown: 690/737 (47 to go or 93.6% clear)
PCE Shmups countdown: 111/111 (all clear!!)
Sega does what Nintendon't, but only NEC does better than both together!^^

PunkicCyborg

« Reply #24 on: December 01, 2013, 02:03:04 PM »

why exactly did you buy magical dinosaur tour then?
(19:28:25) GE0: superdead told me in whisper that his favorite game is mario paint

98pacecar

« Reply #25 on: December 01, 2013, 02:04:55 PM »
Oh noes guys! Someone new here likeses our precious! Don't worry though, I'm going to publicly shame him by reposting something I keep stored away for occasions just like this. I'm not clever enough to write something new every time, so I just change a few bits around and make it look like it's a new post.

In reality, all I have done is admit that his goal of collecting all of the SHMUPS is one I secretly have, but deep down know I won't be able to achieve any time soon and certainly not as quick as this new guy seems to be wanting to do.

It makes me sad to see other people have things I want, but I won't work hard enough in my life to earn what I want so I just get mad about it and vent at other people that can have it. I also feel that the main reason I don't have the games I want is that the resellers insist on getting a fair market price on items that I feel I should be able to buy for next to nothing. I mean, everybody else pays the prices that games are worth or just waits until a deal that is to their liking comes along, but not me! I'm special! I'll just keep ranting about the resellers and continue to not have the things I want in life instead of trying to increase my income so that I can just buy them. It just seems so much easier that way and I know I'm entitled to it!

But I'm sure my public shaming will make him go away so only the true fans can worship at the altar of the PC Engine. I'll be sure to randomly pick apart his thread and make wild accusations and do everything I can to misrepresent what he said. I know that makes me seem more clever than I really am, hehe!

Wow kid, you need some help. But I will say it's good to see that you can admit your problems. That's the first step in getting the help you need. Best of luck with it! Maybe there's a pill for what you have?

98pacecar, don't worry 

There are all different folks here. Some of us are more tolerant than others. Some of us rant occasionally (Lochlan) whilst others are set to perma-diatribe (a wonderful misfit named Zeta who, sadly, hasn't posted in a long time).

Collecting for the sake of collecting is not something we talk about "too" much here because many folks are actively playing games. 

Since you are the "new" soul who braved to join us, you may not know that many folks here have a distaste for collecting stuff (be they cereal boxes, One Direction on vinyl, or HuCARDS).

Personally, I never dismiss a game until I've tried it myself and given it an honest chance to speak to me.

I am a game whisperer.

I find pleasure in finding something to appreciate in most games....no matter how brief those moments may be.

Therefore, I have many games that I only occasionally go back to these days.

But they all occupy a special place in my engorged, possibly arrhythmic, heart.

They are my children—I couldn't bear to throw any of them away.

Even the horrid child who is insufferable and brings nothing but pain deserves a home: be it on the shelf or in my heart.

BLESSED CHILDREN, I WILL NEVER FORSAKE YOU.

(In other words, welcome, comrade! You have survived the asylum).

Ah, it never takes long to drag out the loonies on a forum, both good and bad.  I'd be disappointed if there weren't a few nuts around to keep it interesting. I'm not sure how folks can have games without, by default, having a collection. But I appreciate the heads up and I'll try to keep it to a minimum here. I've always considered myself a player first, but a collector as well. No sense having games if you don't play them!

The signal to noise ratio seems really good here and I'm enjoying digging through the old threads. A lot of really good, focused info and just the right amount of lunacy to keep it fun!

98pacecar

« Reply #26 on: December 01, 2013, 02:08:36 PM »

I think you have a fundamental misunderstanding of what I wrote. Where did I say I buy games to be shelf filler? I did say that by default, some will end up that way. But nowhere did I say I buy games with the intent for them to be shelf filler. I'm just willing to admit that with so many games to choose from, some will get played less than others and some will likely just be played once or twice. If I'm not negatively affecting my family (I'm not) and I'm not negatively affecting you (still would like to hear how that's possible), what does it matter what I do with my games?

Lochlan

« Reply #27 on: December 01, 2013, 02:14:17 PM »

It came in a lot with other games.

Where did I say I buy games to be shelf filler? I did say that by default, some will end up that way. But nowhere did I say I buy games with the intent for them to be shelf filler.

Lol!
« Last Edit: December 01, 2013, 02:21:40 PM by Lochlan »

98pacecar

« Reply #28 on: December 01, 2013, 02:25:59 PM »

It came in a lot with other games.

Where did I say I buy games to be shelf filler? I did say that by default, some will end up that way. But nowhere did I say I buy games with the intent for them to be shelf filler.

Lol!

So you can't point it out? Please enlighten me, I'd love to see it! Oh wait, let me guess… My response to vestcoat hit a little too close to home for you and you don't have the anything intelligent to keep your little rant going?

In fact, let's do this. Here is the entire bit where I first talk about shelf filler..

Ugh. I hope you are gonna play them as well? So sick of all the "collectors" into games these days. My "ugh" isn't directed at you personally. Rather, it made me think about the state of the "scene". I just hope you are playing the games and not just sitting them on a shelf or in a case somewhere to rot. Could I use more "quotes"?

I'm largely a player, but at a certain point there are titles that more or less end up as shelf filler. I have a bit of OCD that compels me to collect all of them even if they are known to be terrible. I will try all of them at least a couple of times, but out of 110 titles I imagine I'll end up sticking to the top xx titles when I want my fix. Not to say I never go back and try others, but given a relatively small amount of time each week to game, some will just not get played as much as others.

So again I ask, where do I say I buy games with the intent to be shelf filler?

That, my friend, deserves an LOL!
« Last Edit: December 01, 2013, 02:29:06 PM by 98pacecar »

Lochlan

« Reply #29 on: December 01, 2013, 02:40:37 PM »
Well when you said you buy games and they end up being shelf filler, and you implied that you knew with certain games that would end up being the case (such as Deep Blue), that lead me to believe that you buy games with the knowledge that they will be shelf filler.  And this is in your thread about acquiring a checklist of games.  I guess you can deflect my arguments with semantic acrobatics, but I think we both know what is going on here.  Anyway, I already said what I wanted to say, I don't have anything to add to this topic.

Again, my beef isn't with you per se, it's more an overall disappointment with the direction this hobby has taken for most people who have an interest in it.  And I'm not perfect, I'm guilty of some of these obsessive/hoarding tendencies as well.  I have an insane backlog of games myself.  But I think that setting out to do what you've described in this thread shows a love for acquisition over a love for games.  And when you start tossing around terms like "shelf filler" I just had to say something, it bothered me.  Whether or not you agree is up to you.  I think Vestcoat's reply nailed it, I couldn't have put it better.

Good luck buying all the games, I genuinely hope that you find it to be a fulfilling pursuit.