Author Topic: Help list the hard to find PCE SHMUPS  (Read 1901 times)

98pacecar

Help list the hard to find PCE SHMUPS
« on: November 29, 2013, 03:21:58 AM »
I'm a long time shmup collector who has finally started working on the PCE titles. I did a quick count last night and found I'm at 50 right now. My goal is to have the full run of, I believe, 111.

What I'm trying to figure out is what are the titles that are difficult to find? I'm not so worried about the expense of them, just want to know which ones I should jump on when the opportunity arises.

So far, I'm blown away by the quality of shmups on the PCE and disappointed in myself that it has taken me so long to get into them. Something I am fixing ASAP!

PunkicCyborg

Re: Help list the hard to find PCE SHMUPS
« Reply #1 on: November 29, 2013, 03:46:01 AM »
This will help you keep track of your collection and you can filter it by shooters
http://www.pcedaisakusen.net/2/27/list-games-Shmups-1-0-100-name-asc-0.htm

Nexzr, Kiaidan 00, Sylphia, Tatsujin, Terra Cresta II, Coryoon, Magical Chase, 1941, Sapphire, Rayxanber III and Steam Hearts are really the only ones that are pretty expensive and the Special Version hu cards. Everything else you can pretty much get for under $50 and most for under $20
(19:28:25) GE0: superdead told me in whisper that his favorite game is mario paint

98pacecar

« Reply #2 on: November 29, 2013, 04:56:49 AM »
Thanks for the list! That will help out a ton.

I had a feeling both Sylphia and Tatsujin would be tough to get. 1941 is the Supergrafx version, right? I haven't seen where there is a PCE version, but never know for sure. Coryoon is high on my list for a quick purchase.

I assume that the prices on Magical Chase PCE have been going up in response to the TG16 version being so costly? Might be a good one to pick up quick and hopefully avoid any more price spikes.

Terra Cresta II shocks me a bit, is there a reason it's hard to get?

PunkicCyborg

« Reply #3 on: November 29, 2013, 05:16:02 AM »
1941 is a Supergrafx game only.
Magical Chase can be had for about $150-200. There seems to be a lot of them out there so I haven't noticed the prices going up too much. You can save a bunch on that one and the other expensive games if you shop on Japanese sites.
As for Terra Cresta being so high I don't know why. It doesn't pop up too often so maybe there isn't a whole lot of them out there? IDK
(19:28:25) GE0: superdead told me in whisper that his favorite game is mario paint

98pacecar

« Reply #4 on: November 29, 2013, 09:30:17 AM »
That's really weird about Terra Cresta, but that's why I asked. I would have never thought it would be a tough one to get.

One more question, the list you pointed me to has 110 titles, but someone on here has 111 in their signature. Is there one that is not universally considered to be a shmup? Maybe a home-brew or something?

SuperDeadite

« Reply #5 on: November 29, 2013, 10:26:31 AM »
OMG SCHUMPS!!!!!!!

The number of games on PCE is a bit subjective.  I believe Tat's 111 is counting both Japanese versions of Magical Chase, but they are identical games.  However there are also a bunch of hidden mini-games like Cychorider, Force Gear, and that silly one in Mesopotamia.  Personally I count Cychorider as it's a must own, but not the other two.
Stronger Than Your Average Deadite

98pacecar

« Reply #6 on: November 29, 2013, 11:18:28 AM »
Hidden mini games?? I loves me some hidden shmups! I'll have to add them to my list. Any others I should be aware of?

PunkicCyborg

Tatsujin

« Reply #8 on: November 29, 2013, 12:19:27 PM »
OMG SCHUMPS!!!!!!!

The number of games on PCE is a bit subjective.  I believe Tat's 111 is counting both Japanese versions of Magical Chase, but they are identical games.  However there are also a bunch of hidden mini-games like Cychorider, Force Gear, and that silly one in Mesopotamia.  Personally I count Cychorider as it's a must own, but not the other two.

lol, my 111th shewty in my count is in fact Cychorider on the seiya monogatari taikenban disc ;)
www.pcedaisakusen.net
the home of your individual PC Engine collection!!
PCE Games coundown: 690/737 (47 to go or 93.6% clear)
PCE Shmups countdown: 111/111 (all clear!!)
Sega does what Nintendon't, but only NEC does better than both together!^^

98pacecar

« Reply #9 on: November 29, 2013, 01:49:44 PM »
lol, my 111th shewty in my count is in fact Cychorider on the seiya monogatari taikenban disc ;)

Aha!! Yours was the sig I saw with 111! Ok, I think now I know what I'm up against.

My only real concern at this point is getting a hold of a legit Sapphire without having to jump through hoops. I don't feel like I can trust buying one without having it in my hands and seeing for myself it's all good. I guess that one will be one of the last ones I end up with.

SuperDeadite

« Reply #10 on: November 29, 2013, 11:34:08 PM »
Bootleg Sapphires are very easy to spot.  Just ask for decent pictures and you're set.
Stronger Than Your Average Deadite

Black Tiger

« Reply #11 on: November 30, 2013, 04:22:42 AM »

Aha!! Yours was the sig I saw with 111! Ok, I think now I know what I'm up against.

My only real concern at this point is getting a hold of a legit Sapphire without having to jump through hoops. I don't feel like I can trust buying one without having it in my hands and seeing for myself it's all good. I guess that one will be one of the last ones I end up with.

Here you go. 100% legit:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/GINGA-FUKEI-DENSETSU-SAPPHIRE-Galaxy-Policewoman-PC-Engine-ACD-JAPAN-Game-bbc-pe-/310737834941?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item48596b13bd
http://www.superpcenginegrafx.net/forum

Active and drama free PC Engine forum

pixeljunkie

« Reply #12 on: November 30, 2013, 07:44:31 AM »
Ugh. I hope you are gonna play them as well? So sick of all the "collectors" into games these days. My "ugh" isn't directed at you personally. Rather, it made me think about the state of the "scene". I just hope you are playing the games and not just sitting them on a shelf or in a case somewhere to rot. Could I use more "quotes"?

98pacecar

« Reply #13 on: November 30, 2013, 08:16:46 AM »
Here you go. 100% legit:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/GINGA-FUKEI-DENSETSU-SAPPHIRE-Galaxy-Policewoman-PC-Engine-ACD-JAPAN-Game-bbc-pe-/310737834941?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item48596b13bd

Thanks for the heads up! I prefer to have spine and reg card on the nicer stuff when possible, so I may hold out for a more complete copy. But good to know they are out there and still available.

Ugh. I hope you are gonna play them as well? So sick of all the "collectors" into games these days. My "ugh" isn't directed at you personally. Rather, it made me think about the state of the "scene". I just hope you are playing the games and not just sitting them on a shelf or in a case somewhere to rot. Could I use more "quotes"?

I'm largely a player, but at a certain point there are titles that more or less end up as shelf filler. I have a bit of OCD that compels me to collect all of them even if they are known to be terrible. I will try all of them at least a couple of times, but out of 110 titles I imagine I'll end up sticking to the top xx titles when I want my fix. Not to say I never go back and try others, but given a relatively small amount of time each week to game, some will just not get played as much as others.

Lochlan

« Reply #14 on: December 01, 2013, 07:20:53 AM »
at a certain point there are titles that more or less end up as shelf filler

:(
I'm not sorry about this, as I'm not sorry about ANY attack by the goverrats.