Author Topic: Help list the hard to find PCE SHMUPS  (Read 1902 times)

98pacecar

Re: Help list the hard to find PCE SHMUPS
« Reply #30 on: December 01, 2013, 03:00:11 PM »
Well when you said you buy games and they end up being shelf filler, and you implied that you knew with certain games that would end up being the case (such as Deep Blue), that lead me to believe that you buy games with the knowledge that they will be shelf filler.  And this is in your thread about acquiring a checklist of games.  I guess you can deflect my arguments with semantic acrobatics, but I think we both know what is going on here.  Anyway, I already said what I wanted to say, I don't have anything to add to this topic.

Again, my beef isn't with you per se, it's more an overall disappointment with the direction this hobby has taken for most people who have an interest in it.  And I'm not perfect, I'm guilty of some of these obsessive/hoarding tendencies as well.  I have an insane backlog of games myself.  But I think that setting out to do what you've described in this thread shows a love for acquisition over a love for games.  And when you start tossing around terms like "shelf filler" I just had to say something, it bothered me.  Whether or not you agree is up to you.  I think Vestcoat's reply nailed it, I couldn't have put it better.

Good luck buying all the games, I genuinely hope that you find it to be a fulfilling pursuit.

I think we had a misunderstanding. My intent is never to buy something specifically as shelf filler. However, it does happen as there's just x amount of time to play and I'm constantly adding new titles. It's a byproduct of buying new games without selling the old ones. I do know people that buy stuff they have no intention of ever playing, but I'm not like that. Especially with shmups, both good and bad. Given limited time I have found them to be a great way to have something I can play for less than an hour and feel like I accomplished something. If I were buying RPGs, you'd have every right to criticize as I know upfront I won't be playing them. My reason for starting this thread was purely to figure out what is hard to get. You can't really rely on pricing being an indicator of rarity and for some reason, the PCE has only been on my radar for the past few months. I'm just trying to learn, but that has turned out to be a bit more trying than it should have been.

I get having frustration with the hobby. There is a lot of negative that I have seen in current years that didn't exist when I started and it has taken some of the fun out of being a game fanatic. Some of it is understandable, some of it is not. But take a step back and realize that all you have done is make yourself look rather inflexible to someone that doesn't know if you are just kidding or being serious. In the end, it doesn't really matter, but I know I'd much rather fellow forum members had a positive opinion of me than a negative. Maybe that's just me and I'm too old school, but being that way has served me very well and I have made a lot of close friends through this hobby. Many share my collecting habits/beliefs and many do not, but I wouldn't have many of those friends if I attacked people that differ in opinion from me.

I'm sure this collection, much like the others I have built or am still working on, will be a great ride. If it wasn't, I wouldn't be doing it.   

vestcoat

« Reply #31 on: December 01, 2013, 08:14:48 PM »
It makes me sad to see other people have things I want, but I won't work hard enough in my life to earn what I want so I just get mad about it and vent at other people that can have it. I also feel that the main reason I don't have the games I want is that the resellers insist on getting a fair market price on items that I feel I should be able to buy for next to nothing. I mean, everybody else pays the prices that games are worth or just waits until a deal that is to their liking comes along, but not me! I'm special! I'll just keep ranting about the resellers and continue to not have the things I want in life instead of trying to increase my income so that I can just buy them.
Boy are you barking up the wrong tree.

98pacecar

« Reply #32 on: December 02, 2013, 12:42:23 AM »
It makes me sad to see other people have things I want, but I won't work hard enough in my life to earn what I want so I just get mad about it and vent at other people that can have it. I also feel that the main reason I don't have the games I want is that the resellers insist on getting a fair market price on items that I feel I should be able to buy for next to nothing. I mean, everybody else pays the prices that games are worth or just waits until a deal that is to their liking comes along, but not me! I'm special! I'll just keep ranting about the resellers and continue to not have the things I want in life instead of trying to increase my income so that I can just buy them.
Boy are you barking up the wrong tree.

Prove it big man.

rtyper

« Reply #33 on: December 02, 2013, 01:39:51 AM »
I don't have a problem with collectors, because I'm one myself.
Got into the pce around 1989 and was collecting for it after other people had moved onto the 32bit systems. Still picking up the odd items that I missed courtesy of my Everdrive that is revealing all the hidden gems. I've picked up a fair few games that I can't see myself indulging very often: Darius Alpha, Sapphire, Gunhed Special, Fiend Hunter to name a few and anyone who has a problem with that....tough.  :-({|=
I don't have a high paid job, look after myself and pay my own bills.
I don't drink or smoke and if YOU do, don't try to lecture others on 'wasting' THEIR money. I realised fairly soon that getting the things you want takes some sacrifices.
I like looking at the PCEngine games that I've bought  8-[, but they don't sit on a shelf, god forbid!!
Too much risk of sun-fading, so they are kept in CD drawers or stored in boxes. I have quite a few Megadrive games as well, though not as many as I would like  :wink:. Mainly shooters along with other highly rated (BY ME) games, I've never been too fussed about the Snes.  :^o
I'm well aware of the prices of these items on ebay etc and a lot are well over the top. But even these will eventually sell because collectors won't be feeding these games back into ciculation and supply will effectively 'dry up'.
Supply and demand eh? Good old capitalism.

:twisted:
« Last Edit: December 02, 2013, 01:52:35 AM by rtyper »

pixeljunkie

« Reply #34 on: December 02, 2013, 03:08:40 AM »
I think this whole thing 98, is that you came in fresh with "Tell me the rarez omg expensive titles to get" which will always have a negative connotation. I'm sure you aren't much different than most of us in terms of collecting PCE goodies, it's really a matter of tact or semantics I think. I also think there was a flaw in your question, as "HTF" is defined by you as you look for a game you want to play based on screens/revies/videos. Rather than looking for a game purely based on its rarity or value.

Welcome to the club and good luck on your search, the PCE is an amazing shmup console. The best, in my opinion.

The love for this console you'll find here is also the same passion you've seen on this thread. I don't think anyone is nuts or booger eaters from what I can tell. There's just that moment when you wince at reading someone new looking to get "teh rarez" and want to chime in with a tale of caution in terms of the culture here.
« Last Edit: December 02, 2013, 03:13:43 AM by pixeljunkie »

98pacecar

« Reply #35 on: December 02, 2013, 03:23:45 AM »
I think this whole thing 98, is that you came in fresh with "Tell me the rarez omg expensive titles to get" which will always have a negative connotation. I'm sure you aren't much different than most of us in terms of collecting PCE goodies, it's really a matter of tact or semantics I think. I also think there was a flaw in your question, as "HTF" is defined by you as you look for a game you want to play based on screens/revies/videos. Rather than looking for a game purely based on its rarity or value.

Welcome to the club and good luck on your search, the PCE is an amazing shmup console. The best, in my opinion.

The love for this console you'll find here is also the same passion you've seen on this thread. I don't think anyone is nuts or booger eaters from what I can tell. There's just that moment when you wince at reading someone new looking to get "teh rarez" and want to chime in with a tale of caution in terms of the culture here.

Thank you for the balanced assessment of my original post. My goal was actually to try and take the cost factor out of it based on past experience of expensive games not always being rare. In reading it again, I can see that I may have left that a bit open to interpretation. Not sure that merits the attacks, but eh, it happens and it's not worth worrying about. I was fortunate to get some very helpful answers, so it's all good!

Necromancer

• Global Moderator
« Reply #36 on: December 02, 2013, 04:04:20 AM »
If price isn't a concern, none of 'em are particularly hard to find.  Have you heard of eBay?  Every title mentioned thus far is available, even Darius Alpha.

As for the rest of this fool's argument: grow up, 98, or at least grow a thicker skin.  Being called a hoarder is not highly offensive, especially not after you said yourself that you're a bit OCD about collecting.  Vestcoat hit the nail on the head, as you seemingly know jack shit about the PCE or any of the games yet gotta get 'em all, but who cares?  Be proud of your nonsensical reasons to want something (It's rarez? BIN!!!), and ignore those of us that buy games for crazy reasons like thinking they look fun.
U.S. Collection: 97% complete    155/159 titles

98pacecar

« Reply #37 on: December 02, 2013, 04:33:53 AM »
If price isn't a concern, none of 'em are particularly hard to find.  Have you heard of eBay?  Every title mentioned thus far is available, even Darius Alpha.
Ah, but see, you just confirmed the very reason I started this thread. Yes, Darius Alpha is legitimately rare and very expensive, but it's steady availability on ebay keeps it from being hard to get. I am interested in knowing which titles rarely come available, a big difference. Money isn't a factor in that, some will be expensive and some will be cheap. I suppose if one is willing to just throw stupid cash at people until someone sells, everything is always available, but that's not how I operate.
As for the rest of this fool's argument: grow up, 98, or at least grow a thicker skin.  Being called a hoarder is not highly offensive, especially not after you said yourself that you're a bit OCD about collecting.  Vestcoat hit the nail on the head, as you seemingly know jack shit about the PCE or any of the games yet gotta get 'em all, but who cares?  Be proud of your nonsensical reasons to want something (It's rarez? BIN!!!), and ignore those of us that buy games for crazy reasons like thinking they look fun.
My response on the hoarder comment was a joke. Trust me, if I was offended by it, that would be made clear. Though I will disagree that Vestcoat hit the nail on the head, that was nothing more than a rant from a simple mind based on not even enough information to call it limited. You yourself say I "seemingly know jack shit about the PCE". How do you or he know that? Maybe I do, maybe I don't. But asking questions of those that are considered "in the know" is never a bad thing, or at least it shouldn't be.

I've given my reasons for purchasing and enjoying shmups. I've made it clear that I play what I buy, but I'm also realistic about how I do it. If that makes me a bad person, well, that's fine. Plenty of people like me and plenty of people hate me. Life goes on and I'll continue enjoying games regardless of what others think I should be doing.

Necromancer

• Global Moderator
« Reply #38 on: December 02, 2013, 05:12:00 AM »
Ah, but see, you just confirmed the very reason I started this thread. Yes, Darius Alpha is legitimately rare and very expensive, but it's steady availability on ebay keeps it from being hard to get. I am interested in knowing which titles rarely come available, a big difference.

Like I said, NONE of the 110 shewties are particularly hard to find.  The 'special' HuCARDs and Darius Alpha have the smallest print runs, yet they're all available; the Seiya Monogatari mook (Tats's #111) is probably the hardest to find, but even it shows up multiple times in the course of a year on eBay and yahoo japan.

If money IS a factor, then they're a bit harder to find at a fair price.  The rarest/priciest titles are almost always readily available but often only at inflated BINs that sit unsold for weeks on end.

My response on the hoarder comment was a joke. Trust me, if I was offended by it, that would be made clear.

But of course.  I always go back and forth for a couple pages to argue a 'joke', bringing out the personal insults for more lulz.

Though I will disagree that Vestcoat hit the nail on the head, that was nothing more than a rant from a simple mind based on not even enough information to call it limited. You yourself say I "seemingly know jack shit about the PCE". How do you or he know that? Maybe I do, maybe I don't.

I base it on you asking for a list of hard to find shewties, which anyone with a deep knowledge of the system (or the ability to use Google) would be able to figure out on their own.

I've given my reasons for purchasing and enjoying shmups. I've made it clear that I play what I buy, but I'm also realistic about how I do it. If that makes me a bad person, well, that's fine. Plenty of people like me and plenty of people hate me. Life goes on and I'll continue enjoying games regardless of what others think I should be doing.

And the smart man would leave it at that, instead of trying to convince others that only his opinion is correct.

98pacecar

« Reply #39 on: December 02, 2013, 05:55:03 AM »
Like I said, NONE of the 110 shewties are particularly hard to find.  The 'special' HuCARDs and Darius Alpha have the smallest print runs, yet they're all available; the Seiya Monogatari mook (Tats's #111) is probably the hardest to find, but even it shows up multiple times in the course of a year on eBay and yahoo japan.

If money IS a factor, then they're a bit harder to find at a fair price.  The rarest/priciest titles are almost always readily available but often only at inflated BINs that sit unsold for weeks on end.

And see, there is good information that is not on the lists that show up when you Google. In fact, until Tat mentioned that title I would have not known it fit my criteria. If I hadn't asked, would I have eventually known? Maybe. Being that it fits the criteria of why I started this thread, it's a huge help to me.

My response on the hoarder comment was a joke. Trust me, if I was offended by it, that would be made clear.

But of course.  I always go back and forth for a couple pages to argue a 'joke', bringing out the personal insults for more lulz.

The personal insults came out after Vestcoat took a swing at me. I'd say my conversing with Lochlan stayed more above the belt and didn't devolve into personal attacks and ended with at least me understanding and appreciating his point of view. He may not agree with me on that, but that's for him to decide. I'm more than willing to apologize to Vestcoat for my attack if he is willing to do the same. But jumping someone for asking a question you don't like is not a good way to be and I won't just sit there and take it.

Though I will disagree that Vestcoat hit the nail on the head, that was nothing more than a rant from a simple mind based on not even enough information to call it limited. You yourself say I "seemingly know jack shit about the PCE". How do you or he know that? Maybe I do, maybe I don't.

I base it on you asking for a list of hard to find shewties, which anyone with a deep knowledge of the system (or the ability to use Google) would be able to figure out on their own.

And that's a fair stance. It's wrong as pointed out above. The lists on the net vary in quality and none of them give me the information I was looking for. From what I can tell, even the list stickied in this very forum is missing at least one title past the one Tat gave me. Again, why not ask and find out for sure?

And the smart man would leave it at that, instead of trying to convince others that only his opinion is correct.

That is my only real mistake here. Of course, the irony of the others here (yourself included) doing the exact same thing is not lost on me.  :lol: (edit: forgot to add a smiley so it's clear I'm joking)
« Last Edit: December 02, 2013, 05:57:17 AM by 98pacecar »

pixeljunkie

« Reply #40 on: December 02, 2013, 06:27:08 AM »
i vote for locking this stinker

98pacecar

« Reply #41 on: December 02, 2013, 06:28:51 AM »
i vote for locking this stinker

Unfortunately, I agree.

Necromancer

• Global Moderator
« Reply #42 on: December 02, 2013, 08:16:02 AM »
And see, there is good information that is not on the lists that show up when you Google. In fact, until Tat mentioned that title I would have not known it fit my criteria. If I hadn't asked, would I have eventually known? Maybe. Being that it fits the criteria of why I started this thread, it's a huge help to me.
And that's a fair stance. It's wrong as pointed out above. The lists on the net vary in quality and none of them give me the information I was looking for. From what I can tell, even the list stickied in this very forum is missing at least one title past the one Tat gave me. Again, why not ask and find out for sure?

Because that's not what you asked.  Asking "What're teh rarez so I can snatch 'em up and not miss out?!?" is miles away from "Besides the 110, what other games have shewty goodness hidden inside?"

Besides Cychorider, there's other games that have hidden shewties (Somer Assault) or at least shewty stages (Fray and Shockman).  There should be a thread somewhere that lists 'em all, or at least as many of 'em as we could come up with.

That is my only real mistake here. Of course, the irony of the others here (yourself included) doing the exact same thing is not lost on me.

And yet I've made no comment one way or the other about whether or not you should buy "shelf sitters".  I've got quite a few myself (one trip through Magical Dinosaur Tour was more than enough), so I'm obviously not entirely against it, but don't let that stop you from continuing to argue your 'joke'.

PS - If you really want to lock this thread, do it.

Black Tiger

« Reply #43 on: December 02, 2013, 08:43:01 AM »
The personal insults came out after Vestcoat took a swing at me.

If you actually look at what he posted, it's a quote from two months ago about people who want to buy every game, even though they are unfamiliar enough with the library to have to ask what games are "worth", before blindly paying what they believe to be "fair market value".

The only game you should be on the look out for to snatch up before it's gone is the English version of Magical Chase. It's not simply a translation of the PCE version and has unique graphics. Air Zonk also has some artistic changes. There is a thread around here that details some of the other differences between TG-16 and PCE versions of games. Sinistron and Psychosis for example have different order of stages.
http://www.superpcenginegrafx.net/forum

Active and drama free PC Engine forum

98pacecar

« Reply #44 on: December 02, 2013, 08:47:01 AM »

Because that's not what you asked.  Asking "What're teh rarez so I can snatch 'em up and not miss out?!?" is miles away from "Besides the 110, what other games have shewty goodness hidden inside?"

Please, show me where I asked for "teh rarez". I honestly want to know, no BS, no hidden agenda, I want to see what it is I said that led you to believe that is what I was asking for. I honestly don't see it myself.

I asked for titles that are hard to find, that does not imply rare or even expensive. As you yourself pointed out, Darius Alpha, arguably one of the rarest titles on the system, is readily available. So it is not hard to find despite being rare and expensive. My question was what titles are hard to find. Nothing more, but some of the folks sure read more into it. 

Besides Cychorider, there's other games that have hidden shewties (Somer Assault) or at least shewty stages (Fray and Shockman).  There should be a thread somewhere that lists 'em all, or at least as many of 'em as we could come up with.

A couple of folks were kind enough to point out that there are hidden shmups as well and that was very much appreciated. Clearly it's something I'd be interested in, so it started another conversation that was beneficial. I've just gotten more information from you and I do appreciate it. All I'm trying to do here is learn.

That is my only real mistake here. Of course, the irony of the others here (yourself included) doing the exact same thing is not lost on me.

And yet I've made no comment one way or the other about whether or not you should buy "shelf sitters".  I've got quite a few myself (one trip through Magical Dinosaur Tour was more than enough), so I'm obviously not entirely against it, but don't let that stop you from continuing to argue your 'joke'.

PS - If you really want to lock this thread, do it.

This thread isn't about shelf sitters. It's about "teh rarez" I guess. Not my intent, but that's how it's gone. And from where I'm sitting, I'm not arguing "my joke". As I said, as far as I know Lochlan and I have reached a level of agreement, even if it is a disagreement. He was the only person that said anything about hoarding (leading to the joke). I replied, we batted it back and forth, and left it in a somewhat peaceful state.

Yes, Vestcoat and I have not taken the time to "settle" things, but if he wants to, I'm here and more than willing. That's between he and I and doesn't involve anybody else.

Either way, I'd prefer this thread lived on to discuss what my intent was, but it looks like that's just not going to be possible.