Author Topic: RPGs  (Read 1552 times)

yoyo

RPGs
« on: January 15, 2014, 01:00:08 PM »
I just had a quick question, were there ever any RPGs in the light of the original Dragon Quest games (Dragon Quest I-IV mostly) on TG/PCE? I really enjoy that old charm RPGs from that time period have and really haven't stumbled across any similar games on the console. Gotta say, the RPGs I've found on it are pretty awesome, though.
The light that burns twice as bright burns half as long.

galam

Re: RPGs
« Reply #1 on: January 15, 2014, 01:08:48 PM »
Cosmic Fantasy 2 and Dragon Slayer are two licensed games that epitomize the 16 bit RPG of that style.
Mysterious Song is unlicensed but just like above, totally awesome.

Oh and Final Lap Twin quest mode.  :D

vestcoat

« Reply #2 on: January 15, 2014, 01:15:43 PM »
Yeah, Galem just about covered it. Most of the NEC console RPG's never left Japan and those that did require a CD player. The 2012 release Mysterious Song is the closest to Dragon Quest. The print run is now sold out, but a few copies remain at the big internet homebrew dealer. Also see Ys 1-2 and the recently-translated Ys IV. Neutopia 1-2 are Zelda clones, but may scratch the itch.

yoyo

« Reply #3 on: January 15, 2014, 03:14:47 PM »
Thanks a bundle guys. I have played the Ys games and I'm a massive fan of the whole series, never played one I don't like yet, Neutopia is also pretty sick and I have yet to finish the first (I'm on the 5th medallion); I've never played Mysterious Song and, even though it's unlicensed, I'll certainly check it out.

As for the Dragon Slayer games, I've checked out some of 'em but mostly older entries (the first release on PC-88 and MSX, as well as Xanadu, I also have Faxanadu on the NES and I finished it recently, and I checked out Romancia), I haven't played the PCE ones yet and I've been meaning to. I've actually never heard of Cosmic Fantasy 2, gonna look into that one.

Thanks again! I have some new tasty entrees to add to my plate! ;)

Black Tiger

« Reply #4 on: January 15, 2014, 04:31:52 PM »
Tengai Makyou is the closest thing you'll find. There's a reason that TMII was ranked the 12th best game of all time by Famitsu readers almost fifteen years later.
http://www.superpcenginegrafx.net/forum

Active and drama free PC Engine forum

yoyo

« Reply #5 on: January 15, 2014, 08:21:27 PM »
Tengai Makyou is the closest thing you'll find. There's a reason that TMII was ranked the 12th best game of all time by Famitsu readers almost fifteen years later.

Sweet, thanks! Heard of the series but never actually took a look into it. Guess it's high time I do.

Xak

« Reply #6 on: January 17, 2014, 05:14:08 AM »
Arunamu No Kiba is amazing if you know Japanese.

i dont , if you want a great Japanese RpG with a very basic translation , an almost beta version, i recommend Startling Odyssey 2 , its on PCE-CD. It has a fantranslation, the man put alot of blood sweat and tears for losers like us to enjoy.
Im a real life Sadler, just take me to the nearest item shop.

I have aspergers, and am a recovering Tonicholic

yoyo

« Reply #7 on: January 17, 2014, 12:09:15 PM »
Arunamu No Kiba is amazing if you know Japanese.

i dont , if you want a great Japanese RpG with a very basic translation , an almost beta version, i recommend Startling Odyssey 2 , its on PCE-CD. It has a fantranslation, the man put alot of blood sweat and tears for losers like us to enjoy.

Thanks! I'll add that onto the list. Sadly I don't know Japanese, but I'd love to learn. Don't really know where to start unfortunately. At least there's somewhat a translation I can use :D Thanks for sharing.

Black Tiger

« Reply #8 on: January 18, 2014, 03:21:33 AM »
Fang of Alnam is a cool game, but there's a dozen games you would likely want to play before it.

There is a "Compendium of PCE RPG walkthtoughs" thread stickied in the PCE section with links to English walkthroughs for Japanese games (can't link to it on my phone).

« Last Edit: January 18, 2014, 03:25:23 AM by Black Tiger »

pulstar

« Reply #9 on: January 18, 2014, 08:22:22 PM »
I really enjoyed the Tengai Makyo series and is about as old-school/Dragon Quest feeling RPG I've played on the PC Engine. Lots of guides etc about as well. I loved Manji Maru but my favourite was probably Kabuki Den because it was so wacky and crazy.

Edit: Forgot to say, the Cosmic Fantasy series is very much in the DQ vein as well. I think it's a nice series (even if the first one is very hard and grind-y in places) and you'll probably enjoy it if you enjoyed DQ.
« Last Edit: January 18, 2014, 11:00:02 PM by pulstar »
My favourite pigeon had a fatal run-in with a cloud...

Arkhan

• Fuck Elmer.
    • Incessant Negativity Software
« Reply #10 on: January 19, 2014, 07:20:37 AM »
Necromancer.
[Fri 19:34]<nectarsis> been wanting to try that one for awhile now Ope
[Fri 19:33]<Opethian> l;ol huge dong

I'm a max level Forum Warrior.  I'm immortal.
If you're not ready to defend your claims, don't post em.

yoyo

« Reply #11 on: January 19, 2014, 01:01:42 PM »
Appreciate the extra suggestions.

Xak

« Reply #12 on: January 20, 2014, 01:34:34 PM »
Susano o Densetsu
Sinibad

Wold Court Tennis has an Rpg mode

Black Tiger

« Reply #13 on: January 21, 2014, 08:43:08 AM »
Susano o Densetsu
Sinibad

Wold Court Tennis has an Rpg mode

I thought you couldn't/wouldn't play any RPGs in Japanese?

Xak

« Reply #14 on: January 22, 2014, 05:13:49 AM »
its a suggestion for topic poster, not me, didnt you reccomend japanese games as well? in fact you did so before me