Author Topic: Will there ever be a TG16 price crash?  (Read 14300 times)

Bklyn4ever

Re: Will there ever be a TG16 price crash?
« Reply #15 on: February 24, 2014, 11:50:15 AM »
I also agree that prices probably will continue to rise for a few years to even a decade. It will then plateau and probably decline.  I am sure most of us are in their thirties to early forties. When we stop buying these games that remind us of our early childhood and teens. The next generation of gamers probably would not want anything to do with it. I had The Atari 2600 was my 1st system and I don't have any interest in it. I actually found some games at my parents not too long ago.

Tatsujin

« Reply #16 on: February 24, 2014, 12:33:25 PM »
I had The Atari 2600 was my 1st system and I don't have any interest in it.

that goes for me as well. i have only very few feelings left for thye ol' VCS even it was my first home gaming experience beside the Nintendo G&W's.

Now my next system I had, the c64, was a whole different rabbit hole, when it comes to nostalgia and feelings.

I think if a system has bad musics or not even musics at all, it can't evoke a lot of nostagia feelings inside me.
www.pcedaisakusen.net
the home of your individual PC Engine collection!!
PCE Games coundown: 690/737 (47 to go or 93.6% clear)
PCE Shmups countdown: 111/111 (all clear!!)
Sega does what Nintendon't, but only NEC does better than both together!^^

esteban

Will there ever be a TG16 price crash?
« Reply #17 on: February 24, 2014, 02:16:31 PM »
Q: Will there ever be a TG-16 price crash?
A: No.
  |    | 

Otaking

« Reply #18 on: February 25, 2014, 03:05:29 AM »
I had The Atari 2600 was my 1st system and I don't have any interest in it.

that goes for me as well. i have only very few feelings left for thye ol' VCS even it was my first home gaming experience beside the Nintendo G&W's.
I too have no nostalgia for my first home gaming platform which was the ZX Spectrum.

munchiaz

« Reply #19 on: February 25, 2014, 03:16:00 AM »
I think many people ( im to young to know for sure) have no nostalgia for things like the Atari is because the games were way to simple. A car being represented by a yellow block here. Or a Person being represented by a tan block there. Theres really nothing to be nostalgic for.

Mathius

« Reply #20 on: February 25, 2014, 09:11:59 AM »

I don't think it's quite that simple. As stated above insta-collectors and trophy hunters will probably move on. I would argue that these types hold little lasting passion for the hobby. Once they get bored they'll move onto the next hot topic.

It may not truly ever crash. But it could shrink down to something more sane.
F@ck Ebay Club member since 2010
Switch Friend Code: SW-2346-3388-5406

Tatsujin

« Reply #21 on: February 25, 2014, 12:51:36 PM »
I think many people ( im to young to know for sure) have no nostalgia for things like the Atari is because the games were way to simple. A car being represented by a yellow block here. Or a Person being represented by a tan block there. Theres really nothing to be nostalgic for.

that's true, but more important is the musics. music is much more of a memory carrier than visuals are. if the VCS had awesome musics like f.e. a c64, I would be very much loving it for that alone, and certainly also would have lots of nostalgic memories.
www.pcedaisakusen.net
the home of your individual PC Engine collection!!
PCE Games coundown: 690/737 (47 to go or 93.6% clear)
PCE Shmups countdown: 111/111 (all clear!!)
Sega does what Nintendon't, but only NEC does better than both together!^^

Mzo

« Reply #22 on: February 25, 2014, 01:02:15 PM »
I grew up with the Odyssey and the Atari 2600 and I have never thought about buying them back or playing them.  I just don't enjoy them that much =/

esteban

« Reply #23 on: February 25, 2014, 01:32:55 PM »

I don't think it's quite that simple. As stated above insta-collectors and trophy hunters will probably move on. I would argue that these types hold little lasting passion for the hobby. Once they get bored they'll move onto the next hot topic.

It may not truly ever crash. But it could shrink down to something more sane.

Q: Do you have a reasonable argument?
A: Yes.
Q: Does it matter?

ALL YOU BASTARDS HATIN' ON VCS/2600: GRAB A PADDLE AND PLAY KABOOM! and you'll see that how wrong you are. Suck it, haters.
  |    | 

imparanoic

« Reply #24 on: February 25, 2014, 02:31:14 PM »
I presume that turbo market may not see a reduction in prices, if not a marginal drop due rarity and niche demand for English localized pc engine games

but pc engine prices have significantly dropped since everdrive flash card release and most games are more affordable than lets say 10 years ago or even 5 years, only really rare games keeps there prices ( reflects hardcore collectors market), you will always get extortion prices on ebay, but auctions will reflect the market

emulation on current consoles has also contributed to the drop as well

BlueBMW

« Reply #25 on: February 25, 2014, 03:25:30 PM »
that's true, but more important is the musics. music is much more of a memory carrier than visuals are. if the VCS had awesome musics like f.e. a c64, I would be very much loving it for that alone, and certainly also would have lots of nostalgic memories.

This....  This is so incredibly true.  I have the most connection with games who's music I love.  I'll bet there are some games where I've listened the the music far more than I ever actually played the game.  Ahh video game music how I love thee...
[Sun 23:29] <Tatsujin> we have hard off, book off, house off, sports off, baby off, clothes off, jerk off, piss off etc

Mathius

« Reply #26 on: February 25, 2014, 03:42:50 PM »

This....  This is so incredibly true.  I have the most connection with games who's music I love.  I'll bet there are some games where I've listened the the music far more than I ever actually played the game.  Ahh video game music how I love thee...

I couldn't agree with you two more! There is just something about 8 and 16-Bit chip generated and even some 32-bit synth that fills my belly with warm nostalgia. I was playing Rage Racer today and when you win a cup and progress to the next race there is a CG interlude with the coolest 32-Bit synth! It was the best kind of Japanese synth rock. I wish the whole game had music in that style.
F@ck Ebay Club member since 2010
Switch Friend Code: SW-2346-3388-5406

BigusSchmuck

« Reply #27 on: February 25, 2014, 04:58:34 PM »
I doubt it. If emulation hasn't caused a major price drop in retro games nothing will.

YANDMAN

« Reply #28 on: February 25, 2014, 07:28:43 PM »
For every game sold is another one less in circulation, Lots more people are awakening to the Turbo every day, They are realising that the console they saw as an also ran is totally awesome and then the buying frenzy begins, The Turbo will eventually i think reach a dizzy height like the Neo Geo obviously games wont reach those crazy prices but the demand will increase and increase, Im in the u.k and if you guys stateside think games are expensive try buying them here........Well you have to find some first.

imparanoic

« Reply #29 on: February 25, 2014, 07:47:15 PM »
I doubt it. If emulation hasn't caused a major price drop in retro games nothing will.

software emulation is rarely 100% perfect compared to real games on real machines

but flash carts on real hardware is essentially the same except the high prices