Author Topic: Will there ever be a TG16 price crash?  (Read 14274 times)

_joshuaTurbo

• Global Moderator
Re: Will there ever be a TG16 price crash?
« Reply #30 on: February 25, 2014, 09:48:21 PM »
that's true, but more important is the musics. music is much more of a memory carrier than visuals are. if the VCS had awesome musics like f.e. a c64, I would be very much loving it for that alone, and certainly also would have lots of nostalgic memories.

This....  This is so incredibly true.  I have the most connection with games who's music I love.  I'll bet there are some games where I've listened the the music far more than I ever actually played the game.  Ahh video game music how I love thee...

I couldn't agree with you two more! There is just something about 8 and 16-Bit chip generated and even some 32-bit synth that fills my belly with warm nostalgia. I was playing Rage Racer today and when you win a cup and progress to the next race there is a CG interlude with the coolest 32-Bit synth! It was the best kind of Japanese synth rock. I wish the whole game had music in that style.

Pitfall II has the best 2600 soundtrack, that's one I often hum/whistle/think about.  I guess I have some sort of nostalgia connection with that game, but otherwise, not too much else for the old Atari.

I doubt it. If emulation hasn't caused a major price drop in retro games nothing will.

Connection:  Ever since the Magic Engine Forums have declined in activity the prices of Turbo games have increased in price.  O_O!  What we all need to do is migrate over there and be more active. PROMOTE EMULATION!  DEMOTE TURBOGRAFX! Let all the collector/follower/me-to'er sheep think that all we do is download ROMZ and play on our computers!!  Then they'll quickly sell off their actual games because it won't be cool anymore.

We are the trend setters....

Otaking

« Reply #31 on: February 25, 2014, 10:04:29 PM »
but pc engine prices have significantly dropped since everdrive flash card release and most games are more affordable than lets say 10 years ago or even 5 years, only really rare games keeps there prices ( reflects hardcore collectors market), you will always get extortion prices on ebay, but auctions will reflect the market

emulation on current consoles has also contributed to the drop as well

I too have noticed a price drop in PC Engine prices from 5 years ago not sure I agree though that it's due to the everdrive or emulation.
US TG-16 games on the other hand seem to be constantly going up in price over the years, my guess is the print runs on the US stuff were much lower and the amount of TG-16 collectors have increased so it's a case of supply and demand.

rtyper

« Reply #32 on: February 25, 2014, 11:38:52 PM »
To the OP:

Anything that goes up in value very rarely comes down.
In the videogame world it would take a discovery of new/old stock, possibly in a warehouse, as was the case with Circus Lido on the PCEngine. Once a much sought after rarety, but now fairly common as new.
Any hobby that involves some kind of collecting such as baseball cards, comic-books, videogames etc attracts
investors. People that have no interest in the subject matter but are willing to speculate large
sums of money accumulating 'stocks and shares' in these hobbies.
Sites like this one (and a few others I could name) provide invaluable information for these people, as can be seen by some of the posts/threads that some people (usually newbies??, such as myself) make.
When valuation sevices such as CGC for comic-books or VGA for videogames appear you can pretty
much guarantee it is too late.
Are you going to pay $5,000 for a VGA sealed copy of Magical Chase and open it to play?
The gulf between the less attractive (one would assume less rare) games and the premium titles will grow much further as time goes by, whether in top grade or not and as we have seen on ebay/yaj there is no shortage of people willing to pay these premiums.
Emulation, piracy or other means of playing these games will not make a dent in the desireability/value of a top title much the same as reprinting old comic-books has zero effect on theirs and people are much more educated about these values now due to press/tv exposure.
Luckily, for me, I have zero interest in TGX version games apart from one or two of the action rpg translations, but if I did and a copy of Magical Chase or any other 'premium' title popped up, on ebay or not, I would be very tempted to 'get in early' because this stuff just isn't going to be available to buy in 10 years or so.
Collectors are not going to re-circulate this stuff back into the community, but I suppose you could wait for them to die.  :twisted:

Posted by HardcoreOtaku
I too have noticed a price drop in PC Engine prices from 5 years ago not sure I agree though that it's due to the everdrive or emulation.
US TG-16 games on the other hand seem to be constantly going up in price over the years, my guess is the print runs on the US stuff were much lower and the amount of TG-16 collectors have increased so it's a case of supply and demand.

I'm not sure where you are seeing this happen, even some of the cheaper sellers (jump2japan)
have raised their prices substantially over the last couple of years and prices for used games
appear to sell at what was the sealed level.

that's true, but more important is the musics. music is much more of a memory carrier than visuals are. if the VCS had awesome musics like f.e. a c64, I would be very much loving it for that alone, and certainly also would have lots of nostalgic memories.

This....  This is so incredibly true.  I have the most connection with games who's music I love.  I'll bet there are some games where I've listened the the music far more than I ever actually played the game.  Ahh video game music how I love thee...

I couldn't agree with you two more! There is just something about 8 and 16-Bit chip generated and even some 32-bit synth that fills my belly with warm nostalgia. I was playing Rage Racer today and when you win a cup and progress to the next race there is a CG interlude with the coolest 32-Bit synth! It was the best kind of Japanese synth rock. I wish the whole game had music in that style.

Pitfall II has the best 2600 soundtrack, that's one I often hum/whistle/think about.  I guess I have some sort of nostalgia connection with that game, but otherwise, not too much else for the old Atari.

and to end on a positive note:
I could not agree more, picking up a hardsid card for my pc and dloading acidplayer/hvsc
best move ever for those c64 sid tunes.

Necromancer

• Global Moderator
« Reply #33 on: February 26, 2014, 02:34:40 AM »
Collectors are not going to re-circulate this stuff back into the community.....

It happens all the time when collectors need money to pay rent, get a root canal, buy some other shiny bauble they can't afford, etc.
U.S. Collection: 97% complete    155/159 titles

Otaking

« Reply #34 on: February 26, 2014, 04:40:35 AM »
Posted by HardcoreOtaku

I'm not sure where you are seeing this happen, even some of the cheaper sellers (jump2japan)
have raised their prices substantially over the last couple of years and prices for used games
appear to sell at what was the sealed level.
With regards the PC Engine price drop I meant more the price eBay auctions were ending at not the 'buy it now' sales.

YANDMAN

« Reply #35 on: February 26, 2014, 06:30:08 PM »
Collectors are not going to re-circulate this stuff back into the community.....

It happens all the time when collectors need money to pay rent, get a root canal, buy some other shiny bauble they can't afford, etc.

This January just passed i have snagged me the most bargains i have ever snagged, It was obviously because of the post Christmas cash flow and the continued economic world mess, So i agree with you there does come a point where people will be forced to sell certain things, Sometimes they start them high and don't move some times they start low and you get an incredible deal, I bought Parasol stars tg16 version complete in box for £12 one of my nicest deals to date.

420GOAT

« Reply #36 on: February 27, 2014, 05:53:45 AM »
if its anything like car parts, the less available, they keep their value.
I want to be more like 337.

The Wolf: If I'm curt with you it's because time is a factor. I think fast, I talk fast and I need you guys to act fast if you wanna get out of this. So, pretty please... with sugar on top. Clean the f*cking car.

esadajr

« Reply #37 on: February 27, 2014, 07:10:31 AM »
I don't see prices going significantly down at least until our generation becomes senile and we can no longer play. But then the younger generations will be telling stories and distort history. Who knows, maybe in a 100 years Imposamole and Darwing Duck will be highly sought after items and expensive just like a Ming Dynasty vase.
Gaming since 1985

wolfman

« Reply #38 on: February 27, 2014, 07:17:32 AM »
But then the younger generations will be telling stories and distort history. Who knows, maybe in a 100 years Imposamole and Darwing Duck will be highly sought after items and expensive just like a Ming Dynasty vase.

Yep. Take AdventureVision for example. A few years back you could get a CIB for around 500-800 bucks. Now its more like 1500+, and it is far from being mint, if you ever come across one...which is likely only 2x a year on Ebay, both of them around xmas.

So yes, they become more and more like cars. Expensive toys, if you will  O:)
recent addition: Japanese Language Skills, A1 proficiency level
------------------------------------------------------------------------
CryptoCoin Warrior
My Setup: PC Engine LT, CD-ROM², IFU-30
AKA woolfman on AtariAge, PlanetVB, Circuit-Board.
-----------------------------------------------------------------------

munchiaz

« Reply #39 on: February 27, 2014, 07:37:17 AM »
Every time i come back to this thread i think of that episode of cowboy bebop where they find a VHS tape, and they take it to some hardcore collector to watch it

wolfman

« Reply #40 on: February 27, 2014, 08:27:38 AM »
Yeah, still analog  :lol:
recent addition: Japanese Language Skills, A1 proficiency level
------------------------------------------------------------------------
CryptoCoin Warrior
My Setup: PC Engine LT, CD-ROM², IFU-30
AKA woolfman on AtariAge, PlanetVB, Circuit-Board.
-----------------------------------------------------------------------

kenomac78

« Reply #41 on: March 02, 2014, 04:42:49 PM »
im going to say no. with ebay, the prices will be set like that forever, if a price ever dropped, there would always be 10 people ready to snap it up which would then just raise the price back up. sure there are idiots who list stuff for 99 million $ but if something fell from like 100 to 50, i would be on that, and you knwo you would be too!

also with atari and almost everything else  compared to turbo the number of carts out there are 100 X more! so unless your out for every game, you can surely get something fun for not a lot.

i think if anything virtual console just increased interest in older games instead of lowering value.

over on atari age once, like yeaaaaars ago there was some post about research of how long a game could be playable. i recall seeing that in an air tight space, they could last 300-400 years presumably! its all about if the pins can still make a connection.

the next question is what happens when tvs no longer have AV inputs? meaning all pre hdmi game systems will eventually have no tv to play them on, uh oh!

HailingTheThings

« Reply #42 on: March 02, 2014, 06:48:06 PM »
Every time i come back to this thread i think of that episode of cowboy bebop where they find a VHS tape, and they take it to some hardcore collector to watch it

Good episode. Good series.

BigusSchmuck

« Reply #43 on: March 03, 2014, 02:07:41 AM »

i think if anything virtual console just increased interest in older games instead of lowering value.
[/quote]
It also doesn't help that Nintendo is killing the win virtual console in favor of the wiiu in May...
« Last Edit: March 03, 2014, 02:09:55 AM by BigusSchmuck »

esadajr

« Reply #44 on: March 03, 2014, 02:23:23 AM »
the next question is what happens when tvs no longer have AV inputs? meaning all pre hdmi game systems will eventually have no tv to play them on, uh oh!

There will be converters, even if we make the switch to the neural system
Gaming since 1985