Author Topic: Awesome pce games that no one plays.  (Read 3692 times)

lukester

Re: Awesome pce games that no one plays.
« Reply #15 on: November 09, 2014, 08:55:03 AM »
Neo Metal Fantasy is a Phantasy Star II/IV style game with a bit more fantasy and non-technological environments, like the original Phantasy Star. It has some great and unique character designs and high quality cinemas with some of the best animation in a SCD game. All of the gameplay and interface is polished and everything feels intuitive. Bosses are full screen and very detailed, featuring amazing artwork. Each one is like battling Dark Falz from the original Phantasy Star. You get to pilot multiple vehicles, explore a huge world, an underworld and moon. The battle menu uses animated icons like the Shining games and there has been a detailed English walkthrough online since 1999. Everyone who enjoys JRPGs should play it.

Damn I just looked this up. Looks great, like many other PCE rpgs. Why does SNES get all the translated RPGs?

Ayce

« Reply #16 on: November 09, 2014, 09:00:44 AM »
Neo Metal Fantasy is a Phantasy Star II/IV style game with a bit more fantasy and non-technological environments, like the original Phantasy Star. It has some great and unique character designs and high quality cinemas with some of the best animation in a SCD game. All of the gameplay and interface is polished and everything feels intuitive. Bosses are full screen and very detailed, featuring amazing artwork. Each one is like battling Dark Falz from the original Phantasy Star. You get to pilot multiple vehicles, explore a huge world, an underworld and moon. The battle menu uses animated icons like the Shining games and there has been a detailed English walkthrough online since 1999. Everyone who enjoys JRPGs should play it.
Now that game looks amazing! Here is for hoping it gets an English translation at some point.

Otaking

« Reply #17 on: November 09, 2014, 09:25:37 AM »
Son Son II
Agree with this, great fun platformer that doesn't get mentioned much.

lukester

« Reply #18 on: November 09, 2014, 09:36:22 AM »
Son Son II

One of the first PCE games I beat. Pretty steep learning curve though.

The game has a fan-site. Complete with maps and walkthrough too. A translation patch exists too.

http://www.changevworld.com/sonson2/sonson2.htm

It was a great collab between NEC Avenue and Capcom. I wish they made more games together besides Side Arms Special.

SuperDeadite

« Reply #19 on: November 09, 2014, 11:25:19 AM »
Private Eye Doll and Go! Go! Birdie Chance are both fantastic, but do require a basic understanding of Japanese to really enjoy.
Stronger Than Your Average Deadite

Black Tiger

« Reply #20 on: November 09, 2014, 03:47:49 PM »

this is next on my list after reading that. I have it, just kind of forgot about it.

I haven't played through it on emulator yet, but here are some pics of the bosses. The big ones are literally full screen.

http://superpcenginegrafx.net/misc/nmf1.jpg

http://superpcenginegrafx.net/misc/nmf2.jpg

http://superpcenginegrafx.net/misc/nmf3.jpg

Here is some of the original artwork that was used for the major bosses:

http://superpcenginegrafx.net/misc/nmf4.jpg

http://superpcenginegrafx.net/misc/nmf5.jpg

There are around 200 enemies in the game:

http://superpcenginegrafx.net/misc/nmf6.jpg
http://www.superpcenginegrafx.net/forum

Active and drama free PC Engine forum

fragmare

« Reply #21 on: November 09, 2014, 07:27:53 PM »
Son Son II

I don't know if I'd put this into the "no one plays" category, but it sure is awesome.  The little devil guy that chases you around and shoots lightning still gives me nightmares... he's like the enforcer!  >_<

ClodBuster

• A real powerhouse!
    • Cumonreprocarts.com
« Reply #22 on: November 09, 2014, 07:45:54 PM »
Bubblegum Crash!
fan translation here http://www.romhacking.net/translations/1234/
I originally had a long post about why it's awesome but my browser crashed and I lost it.
Anyways I really enjoyed the game and I'd recommend it.
so... Your browser had a Bubblegum Crash?
...Please excuse the awful pun.

Great that there's a translation! I'll give it a try. Bubblegum Crisis was the first mature Japanimation I watched back then in the 90s, when a friend of mine brought a stack of VHS tapes over to my place. Thanks for the link.
« Last Edit: November 09, 2014, 08:45:50 PM by ClodBuster »

They tried to make me do a recap
I said no, no, no

Ayce

« Reply #23 on: November 10, 2014, 12:37:13 AM »

Very nice! I just found this game on ePay for only $4. I may not be able to fully enjoy it (not being able to read any Japanese), but I'm going to fumble through it anyway.

One of the games that I find rather fun to play on the PCE that I never knew about until recently is Metal Stoker. It's funny because it reminds me of Atari Tanks, but with an updated look and play.
« Last Edit: November 10, 2014, 12:58:55 AM by Ayce »

Necromancer

• Global Moderator
« Reply #24 on: November 10, 2014, 02:37:46 AM »
Hatris never gets any love.  :|

Son Son II

This one is oft requested for Secret Santa, so there's gotta be quite a few here that play it or at least want to play it.  :mrgreen:
U.S. Collection: 97% complete    155/159 titles

pdiggitydogg

« Reply #25 on: November 10, 2014, 12:44:09 PM »
Wow. That looks great!
...super CD, huh? OK... :(

KingDrool

« Reply #26 on: November 10, 2014, 01:12:59 PM »
Is there a way to subscribe to threads? Some great recommendations in here.
Games I Need: Bonk 3 (HuCard), Legend of Hero Tonma, Magical Chase, Soldier Blade, Super Air Zonk.

Got one to sell? PM me!

lukester

« Reply #27 on: November 10, 2014, 01:37:59 PM »
Is there a way to subscribe to threads? Some great recommendations in here.

Yeah, click Notify.

I'll add the recommendations to the OP.

Gao

« Reply #28 on: November 10, 2014, 03:18:23 PM »
and speaking of awesome platformers - Bakusho Yoshimoto No Shinkigeki

It's got nice graphics, some great humor and fun minigames. Its also terribly easy.

I was about to suggest this.  What would be merely a decent platformer was made into something memorable through some surprisingly funny visual gags and great visuals.  It would probably be even better if my Japanese wasn't utter shit and I could understand the dialogue.  It still goes for fairly cheap, and is worth picking up as long as you don't mind the fact that it's pretty short and easy (you'll probably beat it your first try).

ccovell

« Reply #29 on: November 10, 2014, 05:12:07 PM »
One of the games that I find rather fun to play on the PCE that I never knew about until recently is Metal Stoker. It's funny because it reminds me of Atari Tanks, but with an updated look and play.

Metal Stoker is pretty good.  It's like a non-rotating version of arcade Assault, or Granada for the Genesis.