Author Topic: NIB Turboduo - Should I break the seal to recap or is it safe to leave it sealed  (Read 1602 times)

Necromancer

• Global Moderator
You know that all original caps eventually leak, so this is a dumb question.  Either you care about it being functional or you care about it being a pretty omg sealed l@@k dust collector.
U.S. Collection: 97% complete    155/159 titles

NightWolve

My Turbo Duo box was not sealed (bought new from TTi going-out-of-business sale for $99), neither was the TurboGrafx-16 system that I won... I'm leaning on "the case of the glossy duo" with this sealed claim of his... Least Ninja had the good sense to put up photos right off the bat, albeit they were quite bad.

« Last Edit: May 12, 2015, 05:02:24 AM by NightWolve »

Necromancer

• Global Moderator
I wanna say my Duo was sealed (bought new in '92 at a local game shop), but I can't say for sure 100%; even if it was, it could've been sealed by the shop anyway.  It makes sense that they would've been sealed, though, seeing as there's nothing else to keep the fragile band from being torn off or just falling off.
U.S. Collection: 97% complete    155/159 titles

Otaking

Here in the UK I purchased a new Turbo DUO in 1993 and the box wasn't shrink wrapped. The person I bought it from stored the stock from a video game shop and I took my new DUO from a huge stack of them, none of them had shrink wrap.
My guess is the one bought by the OP was shrink wrapped by the retailer.

Lost Monkey

I have to go look and see if I can find photos, but it may have been Donsal that shrinked mine... I seem to recall there was a "Donsal" sticker on the box somewhere too, which would have to have been under the shrink. 

The shrinkwrap was the brittle, cellophane type, rather than the soft Saran Wrap type...

CPTBadAss

Send it my way. I'll personally inspect the shrink wrap and *ahem* test if it's working. ;)
« Last Edit: May 13, 2015, 03:09:26 AM by CPTBadAss »
Maximum Output. Activate the pit.

esteban

I know TG-16 was not shrink wrapped, not sure about TurboDuo.

BITD, I can say with certainly that many stores shrink-wrapped stuff all the time, for various reasons. For example, returned merchandise. After the original contents were verified, item was shrink-wrapped and put back in stock.

My friend was a manager at a retail store and video games/consoles/music/videos were routinely shrink wrapped.

|    | 

BlueBMW

I dont recall Duos specifically but I seem to remember pretty much every console hardware not being shrinkwrapped.  Every time I saw anything in stores they werent shrinkwrapped.  If they had anything it would be a little round sticker over the box flaps.
[Sun 23:29] <Tatsujin> we have hard off, book off, house off, sports off, baby off, clothes off, jerk off, piss off etc

toymachine78

I dont recall Duos specifically but I seem to remember pretty much every console hardware not being shrinkwrapped.  Every time I saw anything in stores they werent shrinkwrapped.  If they had anything it would be a little round sticker over the box flaps.
This is what I recall as well.

SignOfZeta

Yeah, I'm not sure I've ever seen any console shrink wrapped. It's pretty f*cking pointless for sure.

MotherGunner

Looks like someone put a stack of wet newspapers in a TurboDuo box back in the early 90's and shrink wrapped it.

Maybe I'm wrong, but you will NOT sleep until you break that seal!  Good Luck!   :evil:

-MG

SI VIS PACEM, PARA BELLUM (If you want peace, Prepare for war)
SI VIS BELLUM, PARA MATRIMONIUM (If you want war, Prepare for marriage)

adolobe

My Turbo Duo box was not sealed (bought new from TTi going-out-of-business sale for $99), neither was the TurboGrafx-16 system that I won... I'm leaning on "the case of the glossy duo" with this sealed claim of his... Least Ninja had the good sense to put up photos right off the bat, albeit they were quite bad.

Yeah, I'm not sure I've ever seen any console shrink wrapped. It's pretty f*cking pointless for sure.

I have to go look and see if I can find photos, but it may have been Donsal that shrinked mine... I seem to recall there was a "Donsal" sticker on the box somewhere too, which would have to have been under the shrink. 

The shrinkwrap was the brittle, cellophane type, rather than the soft Saran Wrap type...

When I say shrink wrapped this is what Im referring to. Either it be NEC/TTI or Babbages I dunno but this is how I purchased it loose flap on the bottom and all

Lost Monkey

When I say shrink wrapped this is what Im referring to. Either it be NEC/TTI or Babbages I dunno but this is how I purchased it loose flap on the bottom and all

Seeing that, the sticker I remembered was the "TV / VCR" notice on the front of the box, not a Donsal one...

wildfruit

Open it, hairdryer it. Job done.

SignOfZeta

If real shrink wrap did exist at some point (on neither of the two U.S. Duos I had from new) then it still being on the box in 2015 is basically proof that the system needs work. If it's never been worked on or used in over 20 years, it probably doesn't work well after a few hours or at all.

Maybe this isn't the case yet, but it certainly will be in a few more years. Does ANYONE have a black Duo that hasn't needed to be recapped yet?