Author Topic: NIB Turboduo - Should I break the seal to recap or is it safe to leave it sealed  (Read 1600 times)

Necromancer

• Global Moderator
Im not sure why it constantly keeps coming up regarding the validity that the box was sealed when my original concern was if the caps would of gone bad.

Probably because this is a discussion forum and we like to discuss things, crazy bastards that we are.  You have your answer on whether or not it should be recapped, so why not entertain ourselves by discussing something with a less obvious answer?

But for those stuck on the topic I've included a photo of the tear away tab on the top flap that comes off when you open it.

Nobody doubts (or cares) that you bought it new.  The question at hand is whether or not the seal was done before it left the factory or if it was done by the retailer or anyone else after the fact.
U.S. Collection: 97% complete    155/159 titles

MotherGunner

Congrats, no long-since-dried-up wet newspapers.  And LOL at you getting snippy.  Like a grown man REALLY needs a consensus for the obvious.  Yes...recap...how?...open box.

On a side note - I hated people who could afford ONE TD in the early 90's...  They were so quick and snide to showboat on the school yard in front of us lesser privileged kids. 

-MG

SI VIS PACEM, PARA BELLUM (If you want peace, Prepare for war)
SI VIS BELLUM, PARA MATRIMONIUM (If you want war, Prepare for marriage)

adolobe

Babbages may have done the deed.  As far as i know, no pack-in hucard game ever came with the retail box.  It was always just hucard in sleeve and manual sealed up with the rest of the manuals.

Also, if i recall correctly, Ys and GoT 3in1 came in white trays that were themselves stacked end-to-end and packaged in a cardboard holder with round cutouts to display the discs.

My guess would be that it was sealed by the retailer after some minor meddling.  Could be wrong.  Ultimately doesn't matter much, i'm still super jealous.

Where is the Gate of Thunder manual?  In there with the Bonk manuals? 

I assume so.

My first duo back in the mid 90's also didn't have a box for Ys. It was just shrinkwrapped jewel case just like this one. I still have it to this day

I didn't mean a retail box, I meant the long plain white box that held both jewel cases.

Oh lol, I got what you guys are referring to now. Sorry I miss understood, my bad.
You guys are talking about this right?

NightWolve

Im not sure why it constantly keeps coming up regarding the validity that the box was sealed when my original concern was if the caps would of gone bad.

We get posers that come here from time to time that use the forum to spread rumors or whatever other bullshit for various reasons. It is prudent to take clear photos and post them right from the get-go if you wanna keep people's bullshit detectors from going off after showing up for the first time with no rep and expecting strangers to take your word for whatever claims you wanna forward. Since your photos, I've accepted that some retailers must've added the shrinkwrap, so I have no further doubt here myself, but there's your answer as to why we have a "distrust and verify" attitude towards claims like this, we've seen enough bullshit over the years.

adolobe

We get posers that come here from time to time that use the forum to spread rumors or whatever other bullshit for various reasons. It is prudent to take clear photos and post them right from the get-go if you wanna keep people's bullshit detectors from going off after showing up for the first time with no rep and expecting strangers to take your word for whatever claims you wanna forward. Since your photos, I've accepted that some retailers must've added the shrinkwrap, so I have no further doubt here myself, but there's your answer as to why we have a "distrust and verify" attitude towards claims like this, we've seen enough bullshit over the years.

Totally understandable, I get where the distrust could be perceived. I wouldn't however call me new, I've been a member of these forums since 2006, just not a heavy poster. Mostly I just buy from the sales threads and follow along other discussions

esteban

...And peace was restored to Esteria. 
  |    | 

MotherGunner

Peace?  No peace...

-MG

SI VIS PACEM, PARA BELLUM (If you want peace, Prepare for war)
SI VIS BELLUM, PARA MATRIMONIUM (If you want war, Prepare for marriage)

MNKyDeth

I want more pics, of the internals.

See what a new board looks like with how much if any corrosion etc.

adolobe

I want more pics, of the internals.

See what a new board looks like with how much if any corrosion etc.

My new caps should be here in Friday or Saturday. I'll take lots of photos when I open it up to do the recap

Arkhan

• Fuck Elmer.
    • Incessant Negativity Software
OPEN THE f*ckER.  FILM THE OPENING.

PLAY IT IMMEDIATELY.

BONUS POINTS IF THE AUDIO TARDS OUT WHILE PLAYING/FILMING.

[Fri 19:34]<nectarsis> been wanting to try that one for awhile now Ope
[Fri 19:33]<Opethian> l;ol huge dong

I'm a max level Forum Warrior.  I'm immortal.
If you're not ready to defend your claims, don't post em.

wildfruit

adolobe

My new Cap's came in yesterday so I'll be recapping the system tonight. As promised here are some photos of the motherboard. The manufacture date on my system is January 1993 so the systems has been sitting in the box for about 22.5 years.

wilykat

Did you make sure it worked before recapping?  It'd suck if it ended up a lemon that should have been returned for exchange back when TTI was still around and making them.  Unless the caps have burst and leaked, replace it first.

adolobe

Did you make sure it worked before recapping?  It'd suck if it ended up a lemon that should have been returned for exchange back when TTI was still around and making them.  Unless the caps have burst and leaked, replace it first.

Hey yes I tested it when I opened the box a week ago. Everything worked great for the couple min's I ran it. I've not done the recap yet waiting till after dinner