Author Topic: NIB Turboduo - Should I break the seal to recap or is it safe to leave it sealed  (Read 1599 times)

bozo55

Some pics of your repair would be cool if you get the chance.  Would love to see just how bad a new unit could be.

adolobe

Some pics of your repair would be cool if you get the chance.  Would love to see just how bad a new unit could be.

Yea I'll take a few photos maybe an unboxing video when I actually open it. I was going to do it the other day but family stuff got in the way and this weekend is full of activities so hopefully early next week

thesteve

just a note
the leakage will likely be clear as without power it doesnt eat into the copper bad
as the copper is dissolved by electrolysis the fluid will turn green or black

EvilEvoIX

This.

Quote from: ProfessorProfessorson
I already dropped him a message on there and he did not reply back, so f*ck him, and his cunt wife.

adolobe

just a note
the leakage will likely be clear as without power it doesnt eat into the copper bad
as the copper is dissolved by electrolysis the fluid will turn green or black

Thanks for the tip. I finally got around to opening up the box last night. To my surprise the random Hucard game was Splatterhouse. I was pretty excited about that but thought it odd they would include a gory game as a pack in, but Im not gonna complain.

I've not open the duo up yet, all the capacitors I have on hand are a mix or rubicon, kent, and some chinese named ones. So I put in a order for all Panasonic caps with Digikey. Once they arrive I'll open up the Duo and take pic's of the motherboard.

I did test the duo for all of 2 mins and everything works and sound came out crystal clear on Y's. But didn't want to run it for long just encase there was leakage.

cjameslv

Man... that pic is beautiful. I'm envious!

f*ck! I second that i can smell the mintyness from here! Time to go charge my JO crystal  8)

esteban

I have charged my JO crystal with the help of a fellow forum member. Thank you, adolobe.
  |    | 

NightWolve

Fresh Ys Book I&II and Gate of Thunder 4-in-1 CDs! Nice! :)
« Last Edit: May 28, 2015, 03:24:57 PM by NightWolve »

geise

Guess what. Turbo Duos didn't come with shrink wrap. That clear plastic you're hemming and hawing over is totally worthless. Open the f*cker and get it recapped at once before the PCB is wasted, assuming it isn't already.

f*ck.

Also, btw, using a Duo doesn't wear out the caps. They just leak because they suck.
This.  Mine was brand new and no shrink wrap.  The fact it was kept in a box all this time not getting played is sad.  I am glad to hear though that it is working.  I would also test the headphone jack.  The caps around there tend to go first.
« Last Edit: May 29, 2015, 02:13:58 AM by geise »

Necromancer

• Global Moderator
A black Ys tray and no long box?  I'd guess someone was already in that 'sealed' box before you.
U.S. Collection: 97% complete    155/159 titles

geise

A black Ys tray and no long box?  I'd guess someone was already in that 'sealed' box before you.
Where is the Gate of Thunder manual?  In there with the Bonk manuals? 

adolobe

My first duo back in the mid 90's also didn't have a box for Y's. It was just shrinkwrapped jewel case just like this one. I still have it to this day

Necromancer

• Global Moderator

I assume so.

My first duo back in the mid 90's also didn't have a box for Ys. It was just shrinkwrapped jewel case just like this one. I still have it to this day

I didn't mean a retail box, I meant the long plain white box that held both jewel cases.
U.S. Collection: 97% complete    155/159 titles

adolobe

The manual for it is in the poly bag with the console manual, warranty card, Turboforce Magazine and the coupon book. Actually there are manuals for all 3 games on the CD (Gates of Thunder, Bonk, Bonks Revenge) no bomberman obviously since its a hidden game

adolobe

As mentioned earlier in the thread. I said I had purchased two duos back in the mid 90's from Babbages and both were sealed. In the photo below are the two units. I've kept both ever since. The on on the left is the one I opened the day I purchased both of them and the one on the right is the one I've kept in a closet as a back up ever since. The only thing missing from the one on the left is the manual and box for Legendary Axe.  Just like the one on the right, Ys didn't come with a box

Im not sure why it constantly keeps coming up regarding the validity that the box was sealed when my original concern was if the caps would of gone bad. But for those stuck on the topic I've included a photo of the tear away tab on the top flap that comes off when you open it.