Author Topic: NIB Turboduo - Should I break the seal to recap or is it safe to leave it sealed  (Read 1601 times)

adolobe

I have a new in box Turboduo that I purchased around 1997 or 98 the box is steal shrink wrapped and has the game bundle offer box sleeve.

I know the caps in the Turboduo are crap and will lead and destroy the board. So my question is since it has not been used since the assemble line is do you think its safe to keep it sealed. Or should I finally open the box after all these years and do a recap.

« Last Edit: May 12, 2015, 10:34:15 AM by adolobe »

toymachine78

The better question is... Why the hell did you never open it!?

adolobe

The better question is... Why the hell did you never open it!?

lol cause I already had one and a Duorx

tool

you should grade it and sell it to some collectard for stupid money and then use the money to buy yourself a recapped duo, recapped turbo, recapped express, recapped PCE, and about hundred random games.

yeah, grade it.

Gentlegamer

Open it, check it, and recap it.

Moderators: ban tool for suggesting grading.

mickcris

Ha ha :)

I think grading is stupid also.  There are some people that will pay out the ass for a NIB console though. 2 recently sold on ebay upwards of $1k.  So its worth more NIB even though its probably not working correctly at this point, than if you were to open it up and get it working.

If you plan on keeping it to use, then open it and recap it.

SignOfZeta

Guess what. Turbo Duos didn't come with shrink wrap. That clear plastic you're hemming and hawing over is totally worthless. Open the f*cker and get it recapped at once before the PCB is wasted, assuming it isn't already.

f*ck.

Also, btw, using a Duo doesn't wear out the caps. They just leak because they suck.

tool

wo wo wow I was just trying to maximize OP's possibilities. I wasn't really serious. Personally I don't like collectards and grading and stuff. Just was trying to suggest grading as a money making scheme to get a lot of great recapped items. Calm down.

Lost Monkey

Guess what. Turbo Duos didn't come with shrink wrap. That clear plastic you're hemming and hawing over is totally worthless. Open the f*cker and get it recapped at once before the PCB is wasted, assuming it isn't already.

f*ck.

Also, btw, using a Duo doesn't wear out the caps. They just leak because they suck.

Yeah, they had shrink wrap... 
« Last Edit: May 11, 2015, 04:14:23 PM by Lost Monkey »

Lost Monkey

f*ck.

Yeah, they had shrink wrap... 

we should start a poll on this. I don't recall shrinkwrap but half of my brain has suffered the same fate as my liver. :/ 

Just like anything else on the market, there were probably some units that didn't for whatever reason. 

Over the course of a couple years near the end of the 90's, I had about a dozen new Duo's pass through my hands to US Obeyers who could not buy them directly from Donsal, the Canadian distributor.   They were all shrinkwrapped.  Not all had the OBI though...

ProfessorProfessorson

It could have been a 3rd party distributor shrink wrapping them. I don't recall NEC/TTi or even Smartworks shrink wrapping any of the hardware their-selves, and never saw any systems done that way in the stores here.

adolobe

f*ck.

I purchased it from Babbages when they were closing out the line with the one I use now and they both came with a plastic shrink wrap to hold the box sleeve on. So I just assumed the ones that came with the sleeve that advertised the 3in1 CD free hucard and magazine all came shrink wrapped. Granted the shrink wrap isn't perfect its got a large 5 inch piece hanging off on the bottom.

I honestly hate to open it but I also dont want it to become destroyed at the same time

ddoubledee

Tool gave you the best answer. I'd do the same. Buy everything you want to play. Lol :)

ClodBuster

• A real powerhouse!
    • Cumonreprocarts.com
They tried to make me go to recap
But i said no, no, no...

They tried to make me do a recap
I said no, no, no

wildfruit

They tried to make me go to recap
But i said no, no, no...
😅😂