Author Topic: Going rate for PC-FX?  (Read 4141 times)

SkyeWelse

Re: Going rate for PC-FX?
« Reply #15 on: August 17, 2015, 07:15:56 AM »
For personal reasons, I'm more interested in getting a PC-FX GA card for my NEC PC-9821 Ce2. I'm not really sure what the actual going rate is for one of these though as both eBay and Yahoo Actions Japan seem marked up very high. Surely these can be cheaper? I don't even need the full complete box, disk or demos even.

-Thomas

elmer

« Reply #16 on: August 17, 2015, 08:23:54 AM »
For personal reasons, I'm more interested in getting a PC-FX GA card for my NEC PC-9821 Ce2. I'm not really sure what the actual going rate is for one of these though as both eBay and Yahoo Actions Japan seem marked up very high. Surely these can be cheaper? I don't even need the full complete box, disk or demos even.

The one that's on Yahoo Japan for 15,000Y has been sitting there for ages.

There were a couple on there a few months ago that had to cycle around  a couple of times before they sold in the 3,000Y ballpark. If you wait long enough, you'll find one at a good price.

Maybe Arkhan will sell you his old PC98 one now that he's recently bought a PC-FXGA DOS/V ISA card.
« Last Edit: October 14, 2015, 03:24:02 PM by elmer »

SkyeWelse

« Reply #17 on: August 17, 2015, 08:56:17 AM »
Thanks Elmer,

In checking eBay it looks like the auctions that previously sold were for complete sets anywhere from $60 to $90 not including shipping. So that'll be my target range to aim for I think. It's not that I absolutely gotta have one of these babies, but I really would like to see how it performs on my PC-98 as a hobbyist type of project. Normally my PC-98 wouldn't have a processor powerful enough to support it, but I upgraded it to 83 mHz using an overdrive chip. I believe the specs on a PC-FX GA call for a 100 mHz, so I'm hoping to scrape by and still be able to use this thing. However, in the event that it doesn't work out, I don't want to be above the $100 range for a loss.

-Thomas

elmer

« Reply #18 on: August 17, 2015, 09:14:04 AM »
Normally my PC-98 wouldn't have a processor powerful enough to support it, but I upgraded it to 83 mHz using an overdrive chip. I believe the specs on a PC-FX GA call for a 100 mHz, so I'm hoping to scrape by and still be able to use this thing. However, in the event that it doesn't work out, I don't want to be above the $100 range for a loss.

The specs on the ISA card require a 486SX33, but recommend a 486DX100.

If you've got enough RAM in the system to use Fez's PC-FXGA CD cache program, then I suspect that you'll be fine.

Black Tiger

« Reply #19 on: August 17, 2015, 12:16:14 PM »
To put it into perspective, I just bought a nice white complete in box with docs PC-FX off of eBay for $180 shipped.
http://www.superpcenginegrafx.net/forum

Active and drama free PC Engine forum

BlueBMW

« Reply #20 on: August 17, 2015, 02:23:20 PM »
My cib nice white unit sold for about $140 shipped on ebay recently.  That included two cheapie games.
[Sun 23:29] <Tatsujin> we have hard off, book off, house off, sports off, baby off, clothes off, jerk off, piss off etc

SkyeWelse

« Reply #21 on: August 17, 2015, 06:04:23 PM »
Normally my PC-98 wouldn't have a processor powerful enough to support it, but I upgraded it to 83 mHz using an overdrive chip. I believe the specs on a PC-FX GA call for a 100 mHz, so I'm hoping to scrape by and still be able to use this thing. However, in the event that it doesn't work out, I don't want to be above the $100 range for a loss.

The specs on the ISA card require a 486SX33, but recommend a 486DX100.

If you've got enough RAM in the system to use Fez's PC-FXGA CD cache program, then I suspect that you'll be fine.

Thanks for explaining the recommended specs. Well, natively the Ce2 has a 486SX chip running 25 mHz. But with this adapter/overdrive CPU I'm able to overclock it to 83mHz, so hopefully that should be enough. :)

-Thomas

tbone3969

« Reply #22 on: October 14, 2015, 03:09:29 PM »
PC-FX....

Some day I will own you.

Need to get a house first.  Living in a small apartment doesn't help.  What's the dimensions on the PC-FX?
"There's something out there in those trees and it ain't no man. We're all gonna die."

Necromancer

• Global Moderator
« Reply #23 on: October 15, 2015, 02:20:28 AM »
What's the dimensions on the PC-FX?

Maybe 5" x 10" x 10" x whogivesaf*ck.

If the size of the console is the determining factor in whether or not you get one, just don't get one.  You can't seriously want one.
U.S. Collection: 97% complete    155/159 titles

Black Tiger

« Reply #24 on: October 15, 2015, 04:46:48 AM »
PC-FX....

Some day I will own you.

Need to get a house first.  Living in a small apartment doesn't help.  What's the dimensions on the PC-FX?

0.4 Xboxes

1 PC-FX playing a game = 1.3 SNES playing a game

If space is an issue, maybe stop sitting on sealed games just to keep anyone from playing them.
« Last Edit: October 15, 2015, 04:48:21 AM by Black Tiger »
http://www.superpcenginegrafx.net/forum

Active and drama free PC Engine forum

galvatronlives

« Reply #25 on: December 08, 2015, 01:53:48 AM »
Hmmm, not sure I can say too much on current prices, but about 1.5 years ago I was able to nab a PCFX for 130ish.     

Games vary quite a bit but most seem to now fall into the 20-30 range.  With the exception of a few rare more playable titles which fetch quite a bit more.  although I was able to grab a few for someone last December for 10-15 + shipping. (damned if i could remember which ones)

Keep in mind as far as distributing them, the FX has little appeal as the library is small, and is difficult to master without knowledge of the Japanese language.  So you might not have a ton of takers.  (not to say even without the ability to understand it can't be a cool and fun system, I've enjoyed the few games I've played) 

I picked up a boxed system on Amazon about a 1.5 years ago for $75. It shipped from Japan. I only ended up paying $4 for shipping and the shipper paid $90 to ship it. I bet whoever did this lost their job.

tbone3969

« Reply #26 on: November 17, 2017, 10:13:49 AM »
What's the dimensions on the PC-FX?

Maybe 5" x 10" x 10" x whogivesaf*ck.

If the size of the console is the determining factor in whether or not you get one, just don't get one.  You can't seriously want one.

I live in a small NYC 2 bedroom apartment with a wife and child.  My wife already gives me crap about my custom PC I built in a substantial tower.
"There's something out there in those trees and it ain't no man. We're all gonna die."

tbone3969

« Reply #27 on: November 17, 2017, 10:15:14 AM »
PC-FX....

Some day I will own you.

0.4 Xboxes

1 PC-FX playing a game = 1.3 SNES playing a game

If space is an issue, maybe stop sitting on sealed games just to keep anyone from playing them.

I have very few sealed games.  I'd say less than 5% of my collection is sealed.  And if you are still refering to that sealed Dragon Slayer, I sold that years ago.  Geez, you guys never let shit go.

Necromancer

• Global Moderator
« Reply #28 on: November 17, 2017, 10:25:58 AM »
I don't know... we let this shit go more than two years ago.  :lol:
U.S. Collection: 97% complete    155/159 titles

Punch

« Reply #29 on: November 17, 2017, 11:09:59 AM »
Sealed Dragon Slayer, you sold that yet? HA HA!