Author Topic: Catastrophy: In Development  (Read 14073 times)

Gredler

Re: Catastrophy: In Development
« Reply #90 on: July 14, 2016, 03:07:06 PM »
Very promising. Do be careful with the whole pillar-dodging thing, though, because it can be hard to determine where you are on-screen in relation to the gaps between pillars. If that's at all visually confusing it could easily be a frustrating experience for your players.

Great advice. I am hoping that the pillars are spaced out and very pattern based so they can be memorized. I believe DK has been designing this boss fight to be similar to the beloved turbo tunnel from battletoads :P

Currently it's very hard, very hard.

Lost Monkey

« Reply #91 on: July 15, 2016, 07:37:55 AM »
Looking good!

NightWolve

Re: Catastrophy! (Current working title)
« Reply #92 on: July 15, 2016, 09:26:05 AM »
This thread was desperately in need of an update, so here's an intro to another boss, the big bad vacuum!

"Brought to you by DoxPhile" Intro - I like that it honors its roots. ;)

DarkKobold

« Reply #93 on: September 23, 2016, 04:54:56 PM »

Final vacuum art is in place, and we have a level select screen!

Hey, you.

esteban

Catastrophy: In Development
« Reply #94 on: September 23, 2016, 07:20:47 PM »

Final vacuum art is in place, and we have a level select screen!

The character designs are *genuinely* cute and nicely done (even the vacuum has a lot of personality).

The animation is fantastically implemented and perfect for this game.

I really like the title screen and level select screens... They totally work with the concepts I have seen (shower, living room). CRT TVs flickering each level just works.

I can't remember if I ever said this, but Catastrophy immediately reminded me of the boss confrontations in Stinger (NES)... Something I always found goofy, yet endearing since I was a kid. This is actually a high compliment, since very few games break past my jaded, adult armor and make me feel excited about brutal bathtubs, psychotic pizza, etc. Household items have never been more deadly yet cute.

Notice I didn't invoke the Japanese title of the series because I never knew it as a kid. I just knew "Stinger" :)
« Last Edit: September 23, 2016, 07:26:29 PM by esteban »
  |    | 

Gredler

« Reply #95 on: September 24, 2016, 04:59:59 AM »
Final vacuum art is in place

Thanks for posting the video DK, and sharing our modest progress! Ball IS rolling again, which is a lot of fun :)

I wouldn't call the art final though, I think we are going to change the color of the vacuum up if I can, and the tilemap/background is very temporary and will look much different in its final state!

The animation is fantastically implemented and perfect for this game.

I really like the title screen and level select screens... They totally work with the concepts I have seen (shower, living room). CRT TVs flickering each level just works.

Thanks Este! The drawings took me longer than I'd like to admit, but DK put them to good use, so I am glad to see it starting to come together with his hard work! It looks really good on a CRT, I did some play testing on the duo with my everdrive and the rom loads up and plays like a dream :)

(Earlier build before catlignment was tuned)

Thanks for the singer idea too, cute games like that (and fantasy Zone) are great refence for wacky disembodied odd bosses ;p

nodtveidt

« Reply #96 on: September 24, 2016, 04:25:00 PM »
This game is so f*cking cool. :D

Gredler

« Reply #97 on: September 24, 2016, 07:40:45 PM »

Gredler

« Reply #98 on: September 24, 2016, 07:43:53 PM »
Bar drinks double post

shubibiman

« Reply #99 on: September 25, 2016, 12:01:06 AM »
Looks really cool. :)
Self proclamed Aldynes World Champion

Arkhan

• Fuck Elmer.
    • Incessant Negativity Software
« Reply #100 on: September 27, 2016, 08:45:05 PM »
I really enjoy that the cat looks semi-retarded, and that you gave him a helmet to confirm it.

lol.

are you still trying to dingledick around and get MML to work?
[Fri 19:34]<nectarsis> been wanting to try that one for awhile now Ope
[Fri 19:33]<Opethian> l;ol huge dong

I'm a max level Forum Warrior.  I'm immortal.
If you're not ready to defend your claims, don't post em.

Gredler

« Reply #101 on: September 28, 2016, 04:46:32 AM »
I really enjoy that the cat looks semi-retarded, and that you gave him a helmet to confirm it.

lol.

are you still trying to dingledick around and get MML to work?

Yeah I've given midi to mml a shot a few times and still wind up with garbage. The retardation the cat exudes is likely the embodiment of my own mental capacity.

I have not yet made my own 6 channel midi to convert - that's my next scheduled task  / test.

So far I've made the song and sfx using mml in notepad ++, and tried to convert  royalty free jazz standard midis. The problem with the jazz standards midis is that they usually have a channel per instrument and jazz bands had like 3 of each instruments  in those bands, and then it comes out sounding like garbage. Also, I don't know enough about music to "spot check " the song in 3mle and find what's breading it.

I am still in talks with a third dude so I can focus on art and dk can focus on progtamming, cabbage has helped us a bunch and I just heard back from a sound engineer  friend of a friend who might be interested

sirhcman

« Reply #102 on: September 28, 2016, 05:54:06 AM »
gredler keep up the good work, your art has really grown since the beginning of this project.

I enjoy the cat sprites, they have a charm about them that I can appreciate!

Arkhan

• Fuck Elmer.
    • Incessant Negativity Software
« Reply #103 on: September 28, 2016, 06:43:44 AM »
If you need help with MML, let me know.  I'll try to help between Infernoing and shit.

Usually, there's some minor hiccup that cripples people and scares them off, and it's something so minor you'll be like

:fduahuiogiaudfghidfu"

[Fri 19:34]<nectarsis> been wanting to try that one for awhile now Ope
[Fri 19:33]<Opethian> l;ol huge dong

I'm a max level Forum Warrior.  I'm immortal.
If you're not ready to defend your claims, don't post em.

Gredler

« Reply #104 on: September 28, 2016, 06:51:11 AM »
If you need help with MML, let me know.  I'll try to help between Infernoing and shit.

Usually, there's some minor hiccup that cripples people and scares them off, and it's something so minor you'll be like

:fduahuiogiaudfghidfu"

Thanks man, I will for sure. I am holding out hope we have a third guy make the tunes because my shit will never sound good because I don't know how to make music, so anything I make is like baby's first drum n bass. A education in how to make music, and making a clean midi is what I have to do first. It sorta worked to use the jazz standard songs I downloaded, but the song just eventually got out of sync and sounded all helmet cat'd out. ;)  I'll be sure to reach out to you when we get to a point that we don't think it's operator error hahaha.