Author Topic: Catastrophy: In Development  (Read 14058 times)

Arkhan

• Fuck Elmer.
    • Incessant Negativity Software
Re: Catastrophy: In Development
« Reply #105 on: September 28, 2016, 07:32:30 AM »
You have to make sure the MIDI is basically very quantized to full steps (1,2,4,8,16,32 notes).  That will make your life easier.

You can get into weirder lengths, but they need to be actual musical lengths.   If you just sloppily drag lengths around that are somewhere between an 8th and 16th note , you will get weird conversions that are a pain to line up.

Music tools (and 3MLE) have quantizers to help line it all up, though.
[Fri 19:34]<nectarsis> been wanting to try that one for awhile now Ope
[Fri 19:33]<Opethian> l;ol huge dong

I'm a max level Forum Warrior.  I'm immortal.
If you're not ready to defend your claims, don't post em.

DarkKobold

« Reply #106 on: September 28, 2016, 07:33:21 AM »
If you need help with MML, let me know.  I'll try to help between Infernoing and shit.

Usually, there's some minor hiccup that cripples people and scares them off, and it's something so minor you'll be like

:fduahuiogiaudfghidfu"

Thanks for the offer! Thus far, its simply been having a lack of anything to insert, rather than any issues with actually executing the code. Squirrel is in the game. Which reminds me, I need to send you a PM.
Hey, you.

Arkhan

• Fuck Elmer.
    • Incessant Negativity Software
« Reply #107 on: September 28, 2016, 07:49:43 AM »
Just grab some stupid simple MIDI that works from some free website to at least test it out.
[Fri 19:34]<nectarsis> been wanting to try that one for awhile now Ope
[Fri 19:33]<Opethian> l;ol huge dong

I'm a max level Forum Warrior.  I'm immortal.
If you're not ready to defend your claims, don't post em.

DarkKobold

« Reply #108 on: September 29, 2016, 06:05:01 AM »
Just grab some stupid simple MIDI that works from some free website to at least test it out.

Oh, it absolutely works. At least one of our videos has Gredler's drum loop going during the shower boss. The big hold up now is just something worth putting in.
Hey, you.

Gredler

« Reply #109 on: September 29, 2016, 06:22:26 AM »

Oh, it absolutely works. At least one of our videos has Gredler's drum loop going during the shower boss. The big hold up now is just something worth putting in.

Gredlers original music = shitty but works
Gredler's attempt at royalty free music  conversion = shittier but also works.

The hopes are that we either find super clean royalty free midis, get a musician who makes original midis, cabbage takes over the sound side of catastrophy, or I learn how to make music and create the midis my self so the conversion to mml is more predictable and manageable.

The royalty free midi's I've been trying are jazz standards like sing sign sing or sweet Georgia brown, and I just have not successfully been able to make those sound good, but cabbage has been able to make some good conversions using midis from the same source. (http://midkar.com/)

DarkKobold

« Reply #110 on: November 05, 2016, 01:37:24 PM »

Here's a preliminary view of the main gameplay. Here's hoping I'm able to figure out why HuC won't let me add any more code...
« Last Edit: November 05, 2016, 01:46:58 PM by DarkKobold »
Hey, you.

esteban

« Reply #111 on: November 05, 2016, 01:42:02 PM »
I think you are literally editing your post to add a video link as I type this...

:)
  |    | 

Punch

« Reply #112 on: November 05, 2016, 01:44:04 PM »
I think you are literally editing your post to add a video link as I type this...

It means that the main gameplay is non-existant.
FMV cat game?

DarkKobold

« Reply #113 on: November 05, 2016, 01:47:35 PM »
Sorry, I'm totally brain-fried after a marathon coding session. I don't think I stood up for 4 hours straight.
Hey, you.

sirhcman

« Reply #114 on: November 05, 2016, 02:50:39 PM »
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cvzfO2L8eaI
Here's a preliminary view of the main gameplay. Here's hoping I'm able to figure out why HuC won't let me add any more code...

dope! keep up the great work!!

megatron-uk

« Reply #115 on: November 05, 2016, 09:03:25 PM »
I propose a new name: Kitty Bobble  :D

Looks totally nuts  :lol: - great work!  :clap:

esteban

« Reply #116 on: November 06, 2016, 12:25:05 AM »
I commented on TubeYou instead of this forum. Thank you. 
  |    | 

Punch

« Reply #117 on: November 06, 2016, 04:01:42 AM »
Hey I thought this was going to be a platformer game, not a single screen Mario Bros.

Excellent but I'm wondering how you're going to make the other levels to fit with the main game.

esteban

« Reply #118 on: November 06, 2016, 05:35:09 AM »
Hey I thought this was going to be a platformer game, not a single screen Mario Bros.

Excellent but I'm wondering how you're going to make the other levels to fit with the main game.

Everything will work!

I love the variety in gameplay.

|    | 

Gredler

« Reply #119 on: November 08, 2016, 06:34:41 AM »
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cvzfO2L8eaI

BTW my avatar is "cutting room floor" the initial sprite I made for the mouse in this level. The design was too RatFink and not enough Hanna-Barbera, so I redrew it to fit the style of the game better :)

vs  (still not shaded and cleaned up)

I started animating him, but this guy was done on my phone using a capacitive touch stylus in Pixly

I love seeing this progress, and makes me feel bad to bottle neck with art - I need to get this guy some more stuff!

I hope we're able to figure out DK's current blocker, it seems like all of the code for the various levels works fine individually, but when he combines them together it hits some sort of bug causing it not to compile?