Author Topic: Review: W-Ring: The Double Rings - A Very Good but Obscure Shmup  (Read 3246 times)

esteban

Re: Review: W-Ring: The Double Rings - A Very Good but Obscure Shmup
« Reply #60 on: October 02, 2015, 02:25:06 PM »

I can't wait for Black Falcon's next review.

What are the chances he will review Ninja Gaiden or Ys III?
It will be Popful Mail and be compared to the Sega CD.

I was thinking it might be Monster Lair TG-CD vs. MegaDrive.

:)
  |    | 

geise

« Reply #61 on: October 03, 2015, 01:40:38 AM »
Hehe.  Probably right.

A Black Falcon

« Reply #62 on: October 03, 2015, 06:47:42 PM »
I can't wait for Black Falcon's next review.

What are the chances he will review Ninja Gaiden or Ys III?

I imagine you're making some joke here, but apart from arcade ports, I haven't really done many reviews of multiplatform console games, you know... other than Zero Wing for TCD and the GBC version of Donkey Kong Country, where I focus mostly on that version, or the one paragraph or so about the PS2 version of Heavenly Guardian in that review of the Wii game, the closest thing to a full comparison article I've done is probably be my Gauntlet Legends / Dark Legacy version comparison list.

Anyway, when I do a full review, it's of a game I have completed.  I don't like it when people review games they haven't finished yet, so I don't do that in full reviews.  So if I was going to do another TG16/CD game review soon, what would I do... my top thoughts would be Shubibinman 3 and Splash Lake.  I finished those games not that long ago, and they do have some interesting things about them worth talking about.  For a HuCard game I'm not sure... Space Invaders Plus (Fukkatsu no Hi), if I could figure out if there's any predictability to which stages you get sent to?  Or something I beat several years ago like Blazing Lazers, Cyber-Core, or something?  I don't know.

Oh, of the games you just mentioned, Monster Lair for TCD and Popful Mail for SCD are fantastic games, but I've barely ever touched the other versions of either game so no, I wouldn't do much of a comparison if I ever did review one of those two.

I definitely wish we would...

Liar.  Trolls like you just love arguing bullshit.

I like debate and discussion about games, that's great.  But when it turns into people throwing insults around, being really rude, etc, that I don't like one bit.  I said that because that's happened in this thread.  I would never write a post as insulting as yours is here, that's not how to act in a debate.  There is no good reason for that tone, why can't we just have a debate about our opinions on this?  Debates or discussions about games are good, I certainly love discussing games and debating opinions about them.  Threads full of posts pointlessly insulting others with untrue insults aren't.

Do all the games since hardware ceased using tile layers not feature "real" parallax?

I covered my thoughts on this way back near the beginning of this thread, when I said that TG16/CD games that pull off full parallax backgrounds should be considered to be the equal of games on other platforms that look like that, regardless of how they made the effect.  Games like Bravoman, Valis IV, Gradius II: Gofer's Ambition, Super Darius, Super Darius II, Rondo of Blood, etc., those have a foreground and a separate background layer, just like any two-layer SNES or Genesis game. Or for another example mentioned earlier in the thread, the Neo-Geo can do more layers of "parallax" than most consoles even though thanks to its weird graphical style (everything is sprites) it has no actual background layers at all.

My point is, how games achieve the effect only matters on a technical level and not for gameplay so long as the results look pretty much the same, and in those games they do.  I care about how it's achieved too, but the most important thing is how the resulting graphics look.

esteban

Review: W-Ring: The Double Rings - A Very Good but Obscure Shmup
« Reply #63 on: October 03, 2015, 11:07:55 PM »
^ I was teasing you in that comment I made. :)

On PCE: Monster Lair has no parallax, Ninja Gaiden has poorly executed parallax.
  |    | 

Necromancer

• Global Moderator
« Reply #64 on: October 05, 2015, 04:00:41 AM »
I like debate and discussion about games, that's great.  But when it turns into people throwing insults around, being really rude, etc, that I don't like one bit.  I said that because that's happened in this thread.

And I don't like people that make up bullshit facts and definitions, which is what you do repeatedly.

I would never write a post as insulting as yours is here....

Your very existence is insulting.

..... that's not how to act in a debate.  There is no good reason for that tone, why can't we just have a debate about our opinions on this?  Debates or discussions about games are good, I certainly love discussing games and debating opinions about them.  Threads full of posts pointlessly insulting others with untrue insults aren't.

You aren't remotely interested in (or even capable of) an honest debate, where veracity, logic, and consistency are required.  You're a liar, a cheat, a simpleton, and a troll.

There's no parallax in W-Ring!  Black Falcon hath spoken!!!
U.S. Collection: 97% complete    155/159 titles

Bardoly

« Reply #65 on: October 05, 2015, 07:11:57 AM »
Black Falcon: I like longer-form writing when it is informed and/or well-written.

I always enjoy reading your stuff.

Folks who want a short, brief summary can find them in abundance (it's what 99% of the interwebz is filled with).

Please continue writing the longer-form articles...it is a dying breed. Sure, it is more niche, but there are at least a handful of folks who appreciate it. Like...maybe seven. I am confident that at least seven shoot-em-up fans would be willing to read a long article. The rest have attention deficit issues.

:)

Nice review!  I enjoy reading the longer-form articles like this as well.

A Black Falcon

« Reply #66 on: October 05, 2015, 04:42:25 PM »
Nice review!  I enjoy reading the longer-form articles like this as well.
Thanks.

^ I was teasing you in that comment I made. :)

On PCE: Monster Lair has no parallax, Ninja Gaiden has poorly executed parallax.
Monster Lair for Turbo CD is a great game, and they more than made up for the removal of parallax other ways.  The graphics look really good for a 1989 regular-CD release, most obviously.  I don't mind that they removed the parallax, it looks great as it is and for the time it's really good looking for the platform.  It also kept the two player co-op, which was far from a given back then!  The gameplay is great as well, and the CD soundtrack is quite good.  I only have the TCD version, but I imagine the MD version has worse audio, it's only on a cart.  It might have been nice to see some kind of CD intro or something, a bunch of those early CD titles really are just cart-style-game-plus-CD-audio, but it's a very good game as it is.  It's kind of weird; I've never enjoyed the first Wonder Boy or any of the Adventure Island games very much, but Monster Lair and Monster World are fantastic.

As for Ninja Gaiden, I have the first two games for the NES (and I did beat the second one, because its last level isn't as insanely hard as the last level in the first game), but I really wish I had gotten the SNES collection back when it wasn't insanely expensive.  That version adds password save to all three games and I, of course, always like it a lot when games let you save.
« Last Edit: October 05, 2015, 04:45:42 PM by A Black Falcon »

Gentlegamer

« Reply #67 on: October 06, 2015, 12:58:08 PM »

Gentlegamer

« Reply #68 on: October 06, 2015, 01:21:09 PM »
My point is, how games achieve the effect only matters on a technical level and not for gameplay so long as the results look pretty much the same, and in those games they do.  I care about how it's achieved too, but the most important thing is how the resulting graphics look.

I don't know how anyone can disagree with this.

Punch

« Reply #69 on: October 06, 2015, 04:23:37 PM »
Sorry but tricks to achieve parallax DOES affect gameplay whether you want to recognize it or not.

Dynamic tiles = a lot of cycles dedicated to update PPU every frame, limited BG/Sprite updates, bg has to be designed carefully to not have too many 'black spots' (areas which would be composite BG1/BG2 but aren't can't be displayed in the same place at once).
Possible results: slowdown, scroll speed limitations, limited on-the-fly animation frame overwrite.

Line scroll = BG has to be designed as individual horizontal stripes, 'black spots' in the 'independent' backgrounds (same reason as before).
Results: cheap but cheap looking, too (see Samurai Ghost). Sometimes unconvincing, can be solved with sprites but can cause flicker due to too many sprites on the same scanline.

Sprite BG = BG has to have as little detail as possible, low number of enemies to avoid flicker
Results: it WILL flicker, this ain't no neo geo son. Plus a very small number of sprites to actually act as sprites. I guess bravoman does that?

edit: Ninja Spirit has the background darker to hide the 'black spot' problem, not really noticeable:

This is the best technique but not always viable in some games, the forest in shape shifter always looked odd to me because of how squareish the trees looked.
« Last Edit: October 06, 2015, 04:55:57 PM by Punch »

Black Tiger

« Reply #70 on: October 07, 2015, 01:20:57 AM »
The PCE happens to be good at animation like dynamic tiles. It can also throw around enough sprites to replicate one of the layers found in many SNES games, yet still include the few player/enemy sprites those games have. It also has enough processing power to do lots of these kinds of things, plus twice the amount of action/collision/speed/etc of a comparable SNES game and not slowdown, while the comparable SNES game does slowdown.

So "tricks" do affect the PCE, but it's still relative.

Just the same, various forms of parallax in Genesis and SNES games are not resource-free. The most common Mode used in SNES games to have parallax includes a layer of NES/Gameboy quality color. Once you see it you can't unsee it.

But Ninja Spirit is completely different and unique. It's not playing pre -rendered animated tiles, it's rendering them in real-time, or in other words, it's "hardware parallax".
http://www.superpcenginegrafx.net/forum

Active and drama free PC Engine forum

Bonknuts

« Reply #71 on: October 07, 2015, 06:30:22 AM »
Sorry but tricks to achieve parallax DOES affect gameplay whether you want to recognize it or not.

In the case of the snes, doing parallax can contribute to slowdown and technically on the Genesis as well. If you miss a vblank flag by 10 cpu cycles, it's no different than missing it by 10,000 cpu cycles; game logic is stalled for one frame.

Parallax takes cpu resource on all three systems. It's not free. I'd say the PCE cpu is more than up for the task. Of course one can make an easy/fast routine, bloated and slow in operation, as well graphic designs for such effects. Sometimes "just enough" is the standard. Especially if that's enough to standout to other competition on the platform. I.e. PCE and parallax. If that standard isn't being pushed, then other game developers don't have much of an incentive to go beyond that. Just look at the Genesis; parallax standards were pushed to a high level. To the point where gamers thought that the SNES couldn't do the parallax on the level of the Genesis. The irony is that the SNES is capable of much more complex parallax, but the snes game developers didn't. That didn't become the focus - other effects did. And some of those other effects on the SNES took up much more cpu resource than complex parallax. 

Ninja Spirit has the background darker to hide the 'black spot' problem, not really noticeable:

And yet the next level with tree leaves that have no such issue and the dynamic tiles appear perfectly on a pixel level behind the tree leaves. And those leaves aren't part of the pre-compiled animation either (or realtime rotated pixels).

The PCE definitely has limitations when it comes to how complex a scene can be, but what you get out of it is the directly related to what you put into it. Lords of Thunder is a great example (and it's doing more than both NS and SS). That 'black spot' problem in Ninja Spirit and ShapeShifter can be avoid or 'fixed', with or without sprites. The linescroll issue you bring up, is also an issue with the Genesis and SNES when used in the far BG layer. You need solid color transition areas to hide the seam when straight edges aren't an option, when two BG layers can't be used in composition. Whether is looks 'cheap' or not, doesn't effect the gameplay though. Unless you consider it a distraction.

Edit: Scroll speed isn't limited by parallax effects.

« Last Edit: October 07, 2015, 06:40:32 AM by Bonknuts »

Gentlegamer

« Reply #72 on: October 07, 2015, 07:49:44 AM »
The parallax discussion in this thread is the type of thing that would make a great article on the future pcefx super site, in my opinion.

As a total layman, I love these technical breakdowns. Bonknuts points out what I've come to understand, that the human factor is really the biggest.

Sadler

« Reply #73 on: October 07, 2015, 08:34:47 AM »
*ahem* I genuinely think this looks as good or better than anything on the Genesis or SNES (slight spoiler, this is the last area of Legend of Xanadu):

Final Stage

~1:20-2:00 is just amazing. Many layers of complex overlapping parallax.

All the side scrolling areas in that game that I've seen look great. See here for the first area.
« Last Edit: October 07, 2015, 08:38:26 AM by Sadler »

Gentlegamer

« Reply #74 on: October 07, 2015, 08:44:43 AM »
*ahem* I genuinely think this looks as good or better than anything on the Genesis or SNES (slight spoiler, this is the last area of Legend of Xanadu):

Final Stage

~1:20-2:00 is just amazing. Many layers of complex overlapping parallax.

All the side scrolling areas in that game that I've seen look great. See here for the first area.

The cloud section looks like it has 3 layers of parallax. Looks good, what techniques are employed there?