Author Topic: Turbografx-16 & PC-Engine Reproduction Hucards & Cases Now for Sale!!!!  (Read 22174 times)

Medic_wheat

Re: Turbografx-16 & PC-Engine Reproduction Hucards Now for Sale!!!!
« Reply #255 on: June 17, 2016, 04:14:13 AM »
A few dual cards I'm working on.

These seem really cool.

I can foresee someone buying some of these and maybe requesting different hu card art or maybe having something special written onit as a gift for a friend or maybe as a contest prize to promote their small business

Like say "Big Bib's Burgers" lol. Or something silly like that.

NightWolve

« Reply #256 on: June 17, 2016, 12:38:22 PM »
Neutopia I & II together for the first time, nice idea. :)

Who would've thought HuCards would ever be reprinted again [but ZOMG, without a license or waiting 75/90 years for IP expiration, those bastards]!! ;)

StarDust4Ever

« Reply #257 on: June 17, 2016, 04:38:46 PM »
Neutopia I & II together for the first time, nice idea. :)

Who would've thought HuCards would ever be reprinted again [but ZOMG, without a license or waiting 75/90 years for IP expiration, those bastards]!! ;)
Yes, I am one of the Neutopia I+II customers. What is the second game on the Magical Chase card? I'm having trouble reading the title. EDIT: Nevermind, Coryoon. :P
« Last Edit: June 17, 2016, 04:42:04 PM by StarDust4Ever »

wilykat

« Reply #258 on: June 17, 2016, 10:39:48 PM »
Any chance of homebrewn game reproduction? Like Atlantean?  I'd guess asking for permission and getting the ROM. Maybe alter then ROM to show on screen "REPRODUCTION" to really discourage sneaky greedy eBay flipper?

StarDust4Ever

« Reply #259 on: June 18, 2016, 02:43:17 AM »
Any chance of homebrewn game reproduction? Like Atlantean?  I'd guess asking for permission and getting the ROM. Maybe alter then ROM to show on screen "REPRODUCTION" to really discourage sneaky greedy eBay flipper?
I wish you guys could partner up. A slick blue color Atlantean with the new cards would be amazing. They are so much nicer than the 3D printed ones...

goldenpp72

« Reply #260 on: June 18, 2016, 05:21:26 AM »
I got mine in a few days ago, I'm gonna give it a test run tomorrow but it all looked really nice.

cr8zykuban0

« Reply #261 on: June 18, 2016, 05:59:55 PM »

holy shit!!! that is too awesome!

StarDust4Ever

« Reply #262 on: June 18, 2016, 08:44:20 PM »
I haven't gotten my repro Hucards yet, but anyone tried theirs in the Hucard slot of a Retro Freak console? The Atlantean homebrew is the only reproduction game I currently have and it does not work. And obviously Everdrive is out of the question. Maybe these might read correctly being exact copies of existing games? :P

Arkhan

• Fuck Elmer.
    • Incessant Negativity Software
« Reply #263 on: June 18, 2016, 09:26:23 PM »
I wish you guys could partner up. A slick blue color Atlantean with the new cards would be amazing. They are so much nicer than the 3D printed ones...

I haven't gotten my repro Hucards yet, but anyone tried theirs in the Hucard slot of a Retro Freak console? The Atlantean homebrew is the only reproduction game I currently have and it does not work. And obviously Everdrive is out of the question. Maybe these might read correctly being exact copies of existing games? :P

You don't have the repro cards yet, but can confirm that they are nicer than the 3D printed ones?  I don't understand this.

Anyway, we have zero plans to have Atlantean put onto the repro cards.

As for your card not working, try it in a real system if you have this option. 

Sometimes, the slots and cards can be finnicky.

Occasionally, you need to insert more to the left, or to the right.   

If not, send it back so we can see if it's broken.

I don't know if the retrofreak expects PCE, and you maybe ordered a TurboGrafx16 region, or what.

[Fri 19:34]<nectarsis> been wanting to try that one for awhile now Ope
[Fri 19:33]<Opethian> l;ol huge dong

I'm a max level Forum Warrior.  I'm immortal.
If you're not ready to defend your claims, don't post em.

StarDust4Ever

« Reply #264 on: June 18, 2016, 09:54:17 PM »

You don't have the repro cards yet, but can confirm that they are nicer than the 3D printed ones?  I don't understand this.

Anyway, we have zero plans to have Atlantean put onto the repro cards.

As for your card not working, try it in a real system if you have this option. 

Sometimes, the slots and cards can be finnicky.

Occasionally, you need to insert more to the left, or to the right.   

If not, send it back so we can see if it's broken.

I don't know if the retrofreak expects PCE, and you maybe ordered a TurboGrafx16 region, or what.
No disrespect intended. I have a real US region Turbografx and a region adapter to play Japan region cards. My Atlantean is US region and works great in my Turbografx slot, however there's a slight warp in the 3D printed plastic so insertion requires me to wiggle it a bit. The Retro Freak doesn't read the Abcard (though it plays the ROM you provided with no issues), but there's a ton of homebrews and repros for other systems that don't work either. None of my NES homebrews for instance. I merely asked the question if anybody had gotten the new repro cards to work with the Retro Freak.

Regarding the quality of the Abcard, the 3D printed cards work nice as intended and and so does the case, however they lack the texture and feel of the original Hucards. The new repro cards seem to better emulate the feel of the original Hucards whereas the Atlantean homebrew kind of has a strange texture due to the 3D filament the card is fabricated from. It seems Aetherbyte is struggling to keep up with the demand for Atlantean; this may of may not be related to production of the 3D printed cards and cases.

I was merely hinting that since a product exists with superior quality of construction, it may be worth it to outsource production of Atlanean or future Hucards. By no means am I suggesting that someone should order repro copies of your homebrews. That would be a douchey thing to do on part of both the buyer and seller. I'm merely hinting that a partnership to license production of quality glossy hucards for Aetherbyte homebrews would benefit both parties as well as the consumer by getting a sturdier product.

Again I'm not dissing the 3D printing technique. It's a wonderful invention with broad appeal, and I look forward to your next Hucard release. Since there's no partnership in the works, I respect your wished and won't bring up your products again in this thread.

Take care,
stardust
« Last Edit: June 18, 2016, 09:57:59 PM by StarDust4Ever »

Arkhan

• Fuck Elmer.
« Reply #265 on: June 18, 2016, 10:20:16 PM »
We're not struggling to keep up with Atlantean...   I hand delivered a box of them to a store in Japan, and well, we're making more now.   

There isn't really a smashing demand for the game, anyways.  We sold a shitload of them.  It's just the occasional person who missed the boat somehow.   and the Japanese people who have a valid excuse for missing out, which is why I made sure to deliver some.

Also, since you have not received your Repro cards, you really can't comment on the "superior" quality.

The repro cards lack plastic.  There is no plastic. It's all circuit boards.  It's an Atlantean without plastic. 

Really, if you think that is a superior design, we could start rifling out Atlantean's that are just two circuit boards sandwiched together to cover the ROM, lol.    The majority of the effort in Atlantean's construction comes from the case.   They take forever to print.

NOTE:  I am not saying the repro cards are shit.  I am just pointing out that they aren't plastic.  They're shiny white or black circuit boards.  They don't feel like a real card either.  They feel like a circuit board sandwich, because that's literally what they are.   

The reason our cards aren't silky smooth is because sitting there smoothing out plastic with acetone is a fairly large waste of time.    I still personally prefer plastic, as that feels more HuCardy than a circuitboard sandwich.  and nitpicking about texture is just goony.

StarDust4Ever

« Reply #266 on: June 18, 2016, 10:39:04 PM »
I actually like the texture somewhat because it is different to what already exists. It stands out in a collection as a homemade item. The blue color especially. Right next to my green Everdrive PCB with matching green Shapeways shell! :D I posted a photo of them together with SFII and my PC Henshin in the "fat hucards" thread.

And I agree, the Acetone stuff is nasty. I once melted a whole box of styrofoam packing peanuts in a few ounces of the stuff out of boredom, but those are about 98% air.

As for the repro cards, you are right, I have not held one in my hand, but judging by the photos, they appear smooth and glossy like the real cards if not made of plastic. They are purposefully not identical to the read thing to avoid confusion. I'm sure scammers would love to sell Magical Chase repros all day long with a 3000% markup if they could get away with it. One asshat already tried to sell his on eBay for $1500... :evil:

Sorry I did not mean to start a turf war between you and turbokon or myself or anyone else.
« Last Edit: June 18, 2016, 10:40:56 PM by StarDust4Ever »

Arkhan

• Fuck Elmer.
« Reply #267 on: June 18, 2016, 10:43:46 PM »
you're not really starting a war, lol.  You're just sort of talking out of your ass, and I'm pointing it out.

The repros exist to make affordable versions of games for people who don't want to pay 300$ for a HuCard.
The AbCards exist to try and make a new game as close to a real plastic card as possible.

Different goals in mind.   Totally not going to war with turbokon, lol.   He's a friend. 

thesteve

« Reply #268 on: June 19, 2016, 08:49:14 PM »
these are as stated a PCB sandwich
they are glossy smooth and cold to the touch (feel like glass)
they are also very rigid

esadajr

« Reply #269 on: June 20, 2016, 02:38:59 AM »

That's like double the turbogasm
Gaming since 1985