Author Topic: Nintendo NES mini coming!  (Read 3425 times)

csgx1

Re: Nintendo NES mini coming!
« Reply #15 on: July 14, 2016, 07:26:40 AM »
Definitely looks cool.  It's a shame that there's not a cart slot.   I'd still be interested on how well this thing works. 

esadajr

« Reply #16 on: July 14, 2016, 08:45:16 AM »
They should make the damn carts, and don't tell me they can't do it because it's too expensive. The chinese bootleggers are making great quality repros of all those crazy ass expensive collectard tities.

I maybe interested in getting a controller if it works on the Wii but that's about it.
Gaming since 1985

Punch

« Reply #17 on: July 14, 2016, 09:20:40 AM »
I'm gonna buy this thing simply for the neat-o factor.

Oh, and I'd like to steal a quote from a friend of mine:

Somewhere, Mike Kennedy is figuring out a way to put a Coleco sticker on it...

ZING!

Wow the coleco chameleon really did send a statement to console manufacturers all right. I want to buy one just to get my ass owned by Ghosts and Goblins again but as null said, it is more logical to buy a NES + Everdrive/PowerPak.

Black Tiger

« Reply #18 on: July 14, 2016, 09:38:49 AM »
The shell might be neat to use for something like a consolized GBA.
http://www.superpcenginegrafx.net/forum

Active and drama free PC Engine forum

SignOfZeta

« Reply #19 on: July 14, 2016, 10:10:48 AM »
I'm getting it because I'm dying to see how well engineered a Famiclone can be. Nintendo doesn't make substandard stuff like Neo Geo X (which, for all the hate, is by far the nicest system of its kind that I've ever used) or the 35 different mini Genesis systems with garbage controllers and the same 8 games in them. I'd expect the pad to be extremely authentic.

As for emulation...seriously, you probably can't even get Energy Star complied with an actual NES and if you don't tell people they'll never know. Fancy FPGA type stuff isn't much different than software emulation in the grand scheme of things assuming the power is there. I expect the emulation will be very good. While I rarely buy NES ROMs I've had zero problem with the emulation quality of other systems on Virtual Console. I have Super Mario Bros for Wii U and I've never noticed garbled sound or any other problems really. I'm not saying it doesn't occur, just that I've never noticed it. My NES fandom is very casual.

Btw, what a nice game list.

Also, I have the TvC Wii stick and it looks like it will work with this, maybe, so that will be the nicest NES controller I've ever used.

bob

« Reply #20 on: July 14, 2016, 10:16:17 AM »
i am surprised as well by the licensed games being included.
the sega one was junk, but i have hope nintendo themselves will put at least a little bit of quality behind it.
they actually care about their brand and reputation.  would be awesome if it played carts too.  doubt i will buy one since there is no need, but kudos to them for reaching back.

Necromancer

• Global Moderator
« Reply #21 on: July 14, 2016, 10:22:25 AM »
Agreed on the games list quality.  No filler and lots of classics.
U.S. Collection: 97% complete    155/159 titles

Punch

« Reply #22 on: July 14, 2016, 10:36:33 AM »

Yeah, all games are excellent and worth the $60. I'd pay the same for a "NES Classics" discs for my PS4 if it had all those titles, that's for sure.

I think I saw someone theorizing that it could be a butchered NDS inside since all games from the announcement @ Nintendo site points to the 3DS shop equivalent. Wonder if that's what's going to happen.
Then again I don't even know if any of that is true so bla bla grain of salt bla

bartre

« Reply #23 on: July 14, 2016, 11:09:23 AM »
I'm happy the controllers work with other stuff.
other than that, It's probably going to be no better than a raspberry Pi.

SignOfZeta

« Reply #24 on: July 14, 2016, 11:17:39 AM »

Yeah, all games are excellent and worth the $60. I'd pay the same for a "NES Classics" discs for my PS4 if it had all those titles, that's for sure.

I think I saw someone theorizing that it could be a butchered NDS inside since all games from the announcement @ Nintendo site points to the 3DS shop equivalent. Wonder if that's what's going to happen.
Then again I don't even know if any of that is true so bla bla grain of salt bla

That seems like more work that it's worth. It's probably ARM based but more powerful.

TR0N

« Reply #25 on: July 14, 2016, 11:21:31 AM »
Looks neat but the emulation quality will be the big question.  I'll wait for it to come out and hardware hackers to mess with it before I make a decision to buy.  But it seems pretty unlikely. 
This if it ends up like a atgames clone console id pass on it.

PSN:MrNeoGeo
Wii U:Progearspec

SuperDeadite

« Reply #26 on: July 14, 2016, 12:07:20 PM »
Considering that this is announced only for NA and Europe with no Japanese release even hinted at, I'd be a bit skeptical of the quality... either way not buying one as I already have RGB fami and all the games I want. 

Probably the best feature of this thing is that if it is heavily advertised with commercials aimed at young kids, we could see a revolution in the game development world.  If kids put down their parents smartphones and really eat this up, Sony and Microsoft will surely take notice.
Stronger Than Your Average Deadite

geise

« Reply #27 on: July 14, 2016, 01:57:35 PM »
...so it's about the size of a PC-Engine.

Medic_wheat

« Reply #28 on: July 14, 2016, 02:01:57 PM »
Seems Nintendo answered a few questions

Systems doesn't open up to accept physical media

Is not designed to accept a SD card.

Is a stand alone unite so no updates firmware or internet connect ability.

No plans to allow the system to accept new games

No plans to release additional games

No comment if they are planning anythjng similar for the SNES or N64

No comment if they plan to release any revisions of this system with additional games.

Seems like it has some missed opportunities out of the gate. However this is most likely just to test the waters before hey release anything more substantial.

cr8zykuban0

« Reply #29 on: July 14, 2016, 02:03:29 PM »
they should have replaced castlevania 2 with castlevania 3 instead. Plus with today's technology, i think they could have added quite a bit more games than just 30 but still looks cool anyways.