Author Topic: Nintendo NES mini coming!  (Read 3424 times)

SuperGrafx

Re: Nintendo NES mini coming!
« Reply #30 on: July 14, 2016, 02:04:04 PM »
This is the best gaming news I've heard in a long time.
Totally stoked and planning to buy one on launch

geise

« Reply #31 on: July 14, 2016, 02:12:37 PM »
No new games is going to kill sales.

TheClash603

« Reply #32 on: July 14, 2016, 02:39:29 PM »
Are the games going to be in original aspect ratio or stretched?

I think the quality of the games is good, but not as great as people are saying.  Tecmo Bowl and not Tecmo Super Bowl?  Castlevania 2 and not 3?  Super C and no Contra?

They should've made it so it could accept a cartridge and sold 30 game volumes for $40.  Or made it so each amiibo was a NES game, so you basically paid $13 per game and got some nice plastic with it.

Will I buy it?  Absolutely.  Could it have been much better fairly easily?  You bet.

Gredler

« Reply #33 on: July 14, 2016, 03:13:36 PM »
Will I buy it?  Absolutely.  Could it have been much better fairly easily?  You bet.

I've drafted about 5 posts to this thread and deleted them all because I couldn't properly describe my issues and intentions for this, thanks for taking the words out of the mouth I couldn't put them into... wait, what?

But yeah, it could've been better but I don't own any "all in one" or whatever you want to call these things (atari flashback, the genesis that DOES take carts, etc)

I think this will be good for just having in a spare bedroom for guests, and for when I dont want to supervise kids with a stack of 30 games and a nes but they want to play games.

will it be amazing, I doubt it, will it be a cool nick nack to have around and play a few times, probably.

The wii controllers seem like the best value - use that bad boy on my wii u for dracula x on my hdtv? yes please :)

SignOfZeta

« Reply #34 on: July 14, 2016, 03:33:19 PM »
Are the games going to be in original aspect ratio or stretched?

I think the quality of the games is good, but not as great as people are saying.  Tecmo Bowl and not Tecmo Super Bowl?  Castlevania 2 and not 3?  Super C and no Contra?

They should've made it so it could accept a cartridge and sold 30 game volumes for $40.  Or made it so each amiibo was a NES game, so you basically paid $13 per game and got some nice plastic with it.

I hope that stretched comment was a joke. Have you ever played a VC title before? They run on systems that are naive wide and always run 4:3. Stretching games is for shitheads. Nintendo is not shitheads.

Of course, things are completely upside down in video game land so who knows? Maybe I'm mega wrong. Pretty much every game company I've ever liked is dead or worse. Maybe Nintendo is next, but I don't think so. When I saw this thing anounced I assumed it would be extremely well done since Nintendo is a company that (unlike many others) knows how to make money off their past while protecting it at the same time. A farmed out Neo Geo X kinda thing would shit can all that. It wasn't until I checked this place and Twitter that I found most people making the default assumption that this is going to be some glop topped FOC with shitty d-pads and all the other shortcomings of the 1000 or so of garbage all-in-one systems. When has Nintendo ever outsourced hardware this important and this much of a potential earner? Assuming a world wide launch this is easily a $1B bill that Nintendo has printed themselves, but not if it's junk. Hype dies down when it's junk and so will sales. I'm pretty sure this is in-house all the way short of actual manufacture. They even made the Pocket Pikachus and shit like that. I don't think it's going to be bad at all. I was assuming a totally new ARM based system that they made themselves running a special version of their in-house emulators which are extremely good, IMO. I don't expect a text based front end with 1000 games listed with 960 of them being duplicates.

Castlevania 3 is idiotic, btw. If you're going to have one CV game, 3 should not be it. It's the weird f*cked up one with the pirate suit and shit, right? I'm sure it's fine for some people but it's not the representative CV game.

Zero_Gamer

« Reply #35 on: July 14, 2016, 03:42:27 PM »

Castlevania 3 is idiotic, btw. If you're going to have one CV game, 3 should not be it. It's the weird f*cked up one with the pirate suit and shit, right? I'm sure it's fine for some people but it's not the representative CV game.

Now I am absolutely covinced that you've either suffered head trauma in the past, are on drugs, need drugs, or just try to be asinine.

Gredler

« Reply #36 on: July 14, 2016, 03:49:08 PM »
Have you played the 3 NES Castlevania? I am of the openion that the third one is the best. It's very similar to the first game but much longer and much better overall presentation. You do get multiple characters but they are completely optional, and none look like a pirate suit to me; maybe you're thinking of the theif character that looks like a hunchback enemy?

esteban

« Reply #37 on: July 14, 2016, 04:30:23 PM »
Have you played the 3 NES Castlevania? I am of the openion that the third one is the best. It's very similar to the first game but much longer and much better overall presentation. You do get multiple characters but they are completely optional, and none look like a pirate suit to me; maybe you're thinking of the theif character that looks like a hunchback enemy?

I love all the Castlevanias on NES.

I played them as they were released...

And Castlevania 3 is definitely awesome.

:)

Zeta will give Castlevania 3 another chance, don't worry.
  |    | 

Black Tiger

« Reply #38 on: July 14, 2016, 05:06:46 PM »
Castlevania 2 is a good choice to balance out the genres. They should have licensed a couple more RPGs (at least a Dragon Warrior). Castlevania 3 would have been a better choice than the original. Contra should be included before Super C.

What's missing and included makes it look like they plan to re-release it each year with a different set of 3rd party games mixed in.
http://www.superpcenginegrafx.net/forum

Active and drama free PC Engine forum

SignOfZeta

« Reply #39 on: July 14, 2016, 06:25:14 PM »
Yeah, that's maybe a schedule made to dovetail with something else. Hopefully something with Earthbound Zero, Clash at Demonhead, RC Pro Am, Donkey Kong III, Pinball, River City Ransom, and Master Blaster.

See? I have taste.

As for CVIII there *is* a f*cking pirate, I looked it up on Wikipedia. f*ck you.

But I will give the game another shot. To me it seemed like...the same thing that's wrong with Somic Adventure 2. Too much distraction and not enough forward movement. Maybe the first game like this. I didn't play it until maybe 10 years ago since I was not on the NES in 1991. I never really was but my then neither were my friends so it was Genesis mostly.

TR0N

« Reply #40 on: July 14, 2016, 07:45:54 PM »
Contra should be included before Super C.

What's missing and included makes it look like they plan to re-release it each year with a different set of 3rd party games mixed in.
I'm puzzled by that as well no contra but super c instead,why not both !? Then again contra never came to the virtual console either.I wonder what konami problem is for licensing that game out.

PSN:MrNeoGeo
Wii U:Progearspec

Gredler

« Reply #41 on: July 14, 2016, 08:01:39 PM »
Contra should be included before Super C.

I'm puzzled by that as well no contra but super c instead,why not both !? Then again contra never came to the virtual console either.I wonder what konami problem is for licensing that game out.

I am ignorant about this but I assume they had a budget and had to secure licenses, and for some reason I think the cost of super C vs "contra" lol.

f*cking konami, that's who I blame.
« Last Edit: July 15, 2016, 04:37:24 AM by Gredler »

ClodBuster

• A real powerhouse!
    • Cumonreprocarts.com
« Reply #42 on: July 14, 2016, 08:41:56 PM »
On the Wii, all the VC games I played so far (NES, TG-16) run extremely faithful to the original. Heck, Nintendo even included the PAL gameplay+music slowdown in games which were affected, e.g. Castlevania 1, if you live in Europe, since they just used the crusty old PAL roms there instead of NTSC ones. Thankfully any title non-native to EU still runs at 60Hz on the PAL region VC, like all Turbo ones. Later PAL games often had less-to-now slowdown.
I play them on a 4:3 aspect ratio CRT, where there's no stretching involved and the pixels are sharp as a butcher's knife.

I know the original Wii had some scaling issues when set to 16:9 and playing Konami's Rebirth WiiWare titles, where the screen got blurry. Setting the console to 4:3 in the system's menu was mandatory.

I think that Mini NES might be worth even just for those seemingly Wii-Mote compatible controllers, if the price is right.
« Last Edit: July 14, 2016, 08:50:46 PM by ClodBuster »

They tried to make me do a recap
I said no, no, no

SignOfZeta

« Reply #43 on: July 14, 2016, 08:44:14 PM »
A friend of mine hypothesized that the system might be Wii based. That would explain a lot of things.

TheClash603

« Reply #44 on: July 15, 2016, 01:18:01 AM »

As for CVIII there *is* a f*cking pirate, I looked it up on Wikipedia. f*ck you.

But I will give the game another shot. To me it seemed like...the same thing that's wrong with Somic Adventure 2. Too much distraction and not enough forward movement. Maybe the first game like this. I didn't play it until maybe 10 years ago since I was not on the NES in 1991. I never really was but my then neither were my friends so it was Genesis mostly.

Yeah, there is definitely a pirate and I remember how awesome it was the first time I used him.  That bastard can almost climb walls, but he slips around.

The game holds up really well and I will have to give it another play after all this talk.

Maybe NES Mini 2 will have a new set of games and be designed like a top loader?  That's something I would be okay with.