Author Topic: Nintendo NES mini coming!  (Read 3423 times)

Digi.k

Nintendo NES mini coming!
« on: July 14, 2016, 03:07:49 AM »

Nintendo Classic Mini: Nintendo Entertainment System   Bring back memories and make brand new ones with Nintendo's ultimate retro gaming experience, launching 11th November!   Relive the 80s when the Nintendo Classic Mini: Nintendo Entertainment System launches in stores on 11th November. The classic NES is back in a familiar-yet-new form as a mini replica of Nintendo’s original home console. Plugging directly into a high-definition TV using the included HDMI cable, the console comes complete with 30 NES games built-in, including beloved classics like Super Mario Bros., The Legend of Zelda, Metroid, Donkey Kong, PAC-MAN and Kirby’s Adventure.
The Nintendo Classic Mini: Nintendo Entertainment System comes packaged with an HDMI cable, a USB cable for powering the system*, and one Nintendo Classic Mini: NES Controller. And whether it’s rediscovering an old favourite or experiencing the joy of NES for the first time, the fantastic collection of NES classics included with each and every system should have something for all players.

Balloon Fight™
 BUBBLE BOBBLE
 Castlevania™
 Castlevania II: Simon’s Quest™
 Donkey Kong™
 Donkey Kong Jr. ™
 DOUBLE DRAGON II: THE REVENGE
 Dr. Mario™
 Excitebike™
 FINAL FANTASY®
 Galaga™
 GHOSTS’N GOBLINS®
 GRADIUS™
 Ice Climber™
 Kid Icarus™
 Kirby’s Adventure™
 Mario Bros. ™
 MEGA MAN® 2
 Metroid™
 NINJA GAIDEN
 PAC-MAN™
 Punch-Out!! ™ Featuring Mr. Dream
 StarTropics™
 SUPER C™
 Super Mario Bros.™
 Super Mario Bros. ™ 2
 Super Mario Bros. ™ 3
 TECMO BOWL
 The Legend of Zelda™
 Zelda II: The Adventure of Link™

I guess all those games will be emulated and the controller ports looks like wii ones. 

« Last Edit: July 14, 2016, 03:13:35 AM by Digi.k »

Medic_wheat

Re: Nintendo NES mini coming!
« Reply #1 on: July 14, 2016, 03:36:48 AM »
What I don't get is this. Why emulation?  Isn't technology at a point where they can just recreat a OLD systems architecture with in a single chip or something? There by excluding the need for emulation which is prob to glitching and not replicating the hardware as goodb

Then just have some sort of optimizer so it will output on a modern HDMI the or some such thing? 

Necromancer

• Global Moderator
« Reply #2 on: July 14, 2016, 03:40:50 AM »
It sure is cute and there's something to be said for the roms being legitimate (if you care about such things), but I'd stick with emulation on a PC, modded original xbox, etc.

And why emulation?  Because why not emulation.  Most people that'd buy this won't notice emulation inaccuracies or care, so why bother with the added expense?
U.S. Collection: 97% complete    155/159 titles

Medic_wheat

« Reply #3 on: July 14, 2016, 03:51:05 AM »
It sure is cute and there's something to be said for the roms being legitimate (if you care about such things), but I'd stick with emulation on a PC, modded original xbox, etc.

And why emulation?  Because why not emulation.  Most people that'd buy this won't notice emulation inaccuracies or care, so why bother with the added expense?

You are probably on point with the rational as to why.

It's just dang it. It's Nintendo. Lol don't they have some engenders with access to their NES hardware plans and what not that could go ok. We recreated everything including the CPU and PPU on a board the size of your hand. And we will release bundled collection games on DS sized cards.

EVRYONE run out and buy this.

I guess it is because we are the minority when it comes to hard ware. This is just like those Genesis mini things. Quick cheap cash ins for people to buy with a lose $80 bill and enjoy for a weekend then forget toss in the garage and then resell for $20 at the next garage sale the following summer.

Medic_wheat

« Reply #4 on: July 14, 2016, 03:54:53 AM »
I guess it will take a week and modern will have found a way to slide a SD card with all the roms on it to play on this mini system since it can't play original cartridges which even the sega flash back what ever can do.

sirhcman

« Reply #5 on: July 14, 2016, 03:59:34 AM »
I don't see myself picking this up but it would have been a no brainer for me if they would have made it where I can play my actual carts on it. Is there going to be a SD card slot or something for future titles? I would like to get more info on it!

Medic_wheat

« Reply #6 on: July 14, 2016, 04:03:27 AM »
I just looked up an article and there is something interesting no one seems to have jumped on.

The controllor it comes with.

If it feels like the original which it looked exactly like there is a lot of potential for new OEM controllers. The cable is for the WiiU pro kind so it has the benefit of being used in the WiiU as a NES style NES eshop controllor.

And if it can be modded or available as a Bluetooth controllor it would pair nicely with the 8 but USB NES controllor stick that just came out by retro 8 bit.

Medic_wheat

« Reply #7 on: July 14, 2016, 04:06:09 AM »
I don't see myself picking this up but it would have been a no brainer for me if they would have made it where I can play my actual carts on it. Is there going to be a SD card slot or something for future titles? I would like to get more info on it!

There isn't much out apart from sizzle promo articles with almost no real info. They are just fluff articles based on what Nintendo gave them to publish. So far there is just the mock up pictures of it fitting in the palm of a hand and of the packaging for the systems and controlor.

I am sure once it is out to market someone will open the system up to see if a sd card reader can be put in it or what have you so you cans use the emulator it is using to dump the roms onto it. It's be interested to learn what type of emulator they are using or if it is the same one used for Wii and WiiU. Most likely the same.

Medic_wheat

« Reply #8 on: July 14, 2016, 04:08:06 AM »
I feel they should have made the controllor a to be Bluetooth. The system is so tiny there is probably next to no weight to keep it in place with a cord and controllor yanking the system like clothes on the cloths line on a windy day.

esteban

« Reply #9 on: July 14, 2016, 04:15:02 AM »
I just looked up an article and there is something interesting no one seems to have jumped on.

The controllor it comes with.

If it feels like the original which it looked exactly like there is a lot of potential for new OEM controllers. The cable is for the WiiU pro kind so it has the benefit of being used in the WiiU as a NES style NES eshop controllor.

And if it can be modded or available as a Bluetooth controllor it would pair nicely with the 8 but USB NES controllor stick that just came out by retro 8 bit.

OK...but I am worried that all the controllers (first-party and third-party) will be of low build quality.

:(
  |    | 

KingDrool

« Reply #10 on: July 14, 2016, 05:29:36 AM »
I'm gonna buy this thing simply for the neat-o factor.

Oh, and I'd like to steal a quote from a friend of mine:

Somewhere, Mike Kennedy is figuring out a way to put a Coleco sticker on it...

ZING!
Games I Need: Bonk 3 (HuCard), Legend of Hero Tonma, Magical Chase, Soldier Blade, Super Air Zonk.

Got one to sell? PM me!

Zero_Gamer

« Reply #11 on: July 14, 2016, 05:45:17 AM »
Raspberry pi is the way to go. Emulates just about everything very nicely.

You can even get a NES housing for the pi.

Necromancer

• Global Moderator
« Reply #12 on: July 14, 2016, 05:47:38 AM »
Oh, and I'd like to steal a quote from a friend of mine:

Somewhere, Mike Kennedy is figuring out a way to put a Coleco sticker on it...

ZING!

Ha!  That's pure gold.
U.S. Collection: 97% complete    155/159 titles

Groover

« Reply #13 on: July 14, 2016, 06:06:38 AM »
I think I would get it for the novalty. I will still play NES games on my NES. I have a nice setup with the NES being RGB modded and connected to the XRGB-mini.

I don't think this will give you the best results but it could be convenient enough to use. I want to see the controller. If it uses standard classic controllers then I am ok but the controller is not great I should get a pro controller. Also the cable is not very long.

xelement5x

« Reply #14 on: July 14, 2016, 06:43:19 AM »
Looks neat but the emulation quality will be the big question.  I'll wait for it to come out and hardware hackers to mess with it before I make a decision to buy.  But it seems pretty unlikely. 
Gredler: spread her legs and push her down to make her more lively<br>***<br>majors: You used to be the great man, this icon we all looked up to and now your just a pico collecting 'tard...oh, how the mighty have fallen...<br>***<br>_joshuaTurbo: Sex, Lies, Rape and Arkhan. A TurboGrafx love story