Author Topic: FX-Unit Yuki: The Henshin Engine for TurboGrafx-16/PC Engine  (Read 27216 times)

esadajr

Re: Henshin Engine Game for TurboGrafx-16/PC Engine
« Reply #150 on: October 03, 2016, 07:30:14 AM »
btw "We", basically only need someone to buy that gorgeous limited edition PC Engine console to meet the next stretch goal.

Maybe "dinner with the development team" should have also been part of the ultimate reward.
Gaming since 1985

glazball

« Reply #151 on: October 03, 2016, 07:39:02 AM »
Honest question here from someone who is still trying to decide whether to back or not:

What happened to Lucretia?
glazball's game collection and wantlist

nodtveidt

« Reply #152 on: October 03, 2016, 08:15:22 AM »
Lucretia is still in development. The code is done, just working towards finishing the graphics now. Sarumaru is working on it when he can but most of his time has been spent on HE since it's his baby. :D I could release LDP right now and it'd be totally playable... it just wouldn't look too good, as half the levels would have large colored blocks for enemies rather than proper sprites. :lol:

esteban

« Reply #153 on: October 03, 2016, 08:16:00 AM »
Honest question here from someone who is still trying to decide whether to back or not:

What happened to Lucretia?

Still in development, still awesome, still gonna be absolutely amazing.

:)
  |    | 

Necromancer

• Global Moderator
« Reply #154 on: October 03, 2016, 08:49:25 AM »
I have to say a lot of people have been asking this question.  No, really.  A lot of people come up to me and they ask me.  They say, ‘What happened to Lucretia’?  And I tell them look, we know what's up with Lucretia.  We’ve had almost eight years of the worst kind of games you can imagine.  Oh my God, I can’t believe it.

Lucretia is a game with sprites and background tiles.  Look, if you want to know what Lucretia is, do you want to know what Lucretia is?  I’ll tell you.  First of all there's witches, by the way, I love witches.  It’s probably my favorite slutty halloween costume, no it is my favorite slutty halloween costume (no fatties).  You know what, it’s probably more like slutty nurse but with a hat.  A pointed hat.

So it's gonna be YUGE?
U.S. Collection: 97% complete    155/159 titles

NightWolve

« Reply #155 on: October 03, 2016, 08:53:29 AM »
:lol:

At first I was like, wait a minute, when did esteban go for that kind of joke ? No way!!!

esteban

« Reply #156 on: October 03, 2016, 09:56:44 AM »
hahahahaha! :)
  |    | 

esteban

« Reply #157 on: October 03, 2016, 09:57:21 AM »

BLOODGOOD FOREVER
« Last Edit: October 03, 2016, 10:08:23 AM by esteban »
  |    | 

NightWolve

« Reply #158 on: October 03, 2016, 11:24:58 AM »

BLOODGOOD FOREVER

That's not half bad for Christian folksy music... Typically it's kind of hokey/embarrassing.

esteban

Henshin Engine Game for TurboGrafx-16/PC Engine
« Reply #159 on: October 03, 2016, 11:46:20 AM »
Nightwolve, my attempts to get Rover to compose a Christian Metal song to be included in Henshin Engine have failed.

:)
  |    | 

NightWolve

« Reply #160 on: October 03, 2016, 12:05:32 PM »
Yeah, sure, but we know that would never happen between the two of you...  :lol:

esteban

« Reply #161 on: October 03, 2016, 02:30:59 PM »
Yeah, sure, but we know that would never happen between the two of you...  :lol:

Yeah :)
  |    | 

Dicer

« Reply #162 on: October 03, 2016, 04:48:13 PM »

blueraven

« Reply #163 on: October 03, 2016, 04:59:43 PM »

[Thu 10:04] <Tatsujin> hasd a pasrtty asnd a after pasrty ASDFTERTHE PARTY
[Fri 22:47] <Tatsujin> CLOSE FIGHTING STREET; CLOSE FORU; CLOSE INTERNETZ; CLOSE WORLD; CLOSE UNIVERSUM
--
Arkhan [05:15pm]: ill brbl im going to go make another free game noone plays lolol

Dr.Wily

« Reply #164 on: October 03, 2016, 10:59:05 PM »

The only time I was OK with an *exclusively* chip (PSG) soundtrack on a CD-ROM was when (1) all the data was used for Red Book audio accompanying cinemas and/or (2) all the data was used for compressed video...

An other way to think : keep the feeling of the platform. Redbook audio does not uses specifics audio abilities of the hardware. It's just audio CD.

Otherwise, I was always disappointed when a developer didn't take advantage of the opportunity for Red Book soundtrack.

Because sound devellopers kept the feeling of the soundchip. Recent example like Pier Solar. It uses Mega-CD's soundchip or Genesis' YM2610. (Sonic CD or Popful Mail are also good examples) On PC-Engine you can use PCE's sound chip + IFU's PCM sound chip. Redbook is an easiness.

In short, the Henshin Engine soundtrack blends the best of both worlds—PSG "inspired" songs that have the chiptune aesthetic at their core, but with composer free to be more creative than a purely PSG soundtrack.

The quality is not the "purity" of the sound but the arrangements, by using abilities of the sound chip. There no good or low quality between redbook and hardware produced music. Just a different approach.

Listen at Magical Chase BGM http://wellby.dyndns.org/dnl/gk/mc_end.mp3

Street Fighter II
 http://wellby.dyndns.org/dnl/gk/snd/sf2-staf-pce.mp3

or Snatcher http://wellby.dyndns.org/dnl/gk/Snatcher.wav

These games have wonderful soundtrack only using sequenced music with the HU6280.

I hear you, though... It would be amazing to have a complete Red Book *and* PSG soundtrack that could be switched back and forth "on the fly" (see Vasteel)... But that would be placing a *ridiculous* additional burden on an already-burdened development team. 

That is a best argument than "I was always disappointed when a developer didn't take advantage of the opportunity for Red Book"
At the time, redbook was used by the devolopers because it more simple to compose music for than to program directly a sound chip.

But nowadays, the chiptune became acceptable. It's no more a gap between "real audio" and "electronic rendered audio". For preserve the authenticity of the support, you may use real chiptune, not a fake BGM simply recorded on audio CD.
« Last Edit: October 03, 2016, 11:07:45 PM by Dr.Wily »