Author Topic: Got a 32x...  (Read 2556 times)

Medic_wheat

Re: Got a 32x...
« Reply #15 on: October 27, 2017, 01:57:27 PM »
Tempo, definitely Tempo. Fun. But.... the best game on the console... Spiderman Web of Fire. Get. That. Game.

Get the most expensive game in the entire library?  From what I hear to be mediocre?  That’s a joke post right?

seieienbu

« Reply #16 on: October 27, 2017, 02:22:29 PM »
I assume he's joking about Web of Fire?  Obviously there aren't a lot of games to choose from but I would say that the best ones are Afterburner, Space Harrier, Knuckles Chaotix, Tempo, and Kolibri.  You might start to notice a trend here; with so few games people will likely gravitate to the few that are pretty good.  Then you have some alright games, then some awful games. 

Shadow Squadron was kinda neat, sorta?  It reminds me of an attempt at Star Fox only worse but on 32X?  It's at least a bit of an enigma to me because I've played it a good deal but am terrible at it but I still slightly like it?  I can't exactly explain my feelings towards Shadow Squadron other than to say "It's bad but I like it anyway."

Similarly, I have a guilty pleasure for Zaxxon Motherbase.  I have odd memories of the Colecovision Zaxxon and how hard I found the game forever ago.  The 32X version is like, if you ever thought "Man, that Zaxxon almost had it; if ONLY it moved at like, 12 frames per second!" then Zaxxon Motherbase is for you.
Current want list:  Bomberman 93

BigusSchmuck

« Reply #17 on: October 27, 2017, 04:13:50 PM »
I thought about the Everdrive route, but at PRGE the one they had setup didn't seem to work very well with the rom dumps they had and kept on crashing on almost everything except for WWF and Star Wars. Great suggestions guys, I didn't think of getting one of these the past couple of years due to the price going upwards of $100 on stink bay, but when I saw it for $20 with the cables I said what the hell might as well complete the tower of power...

Medic_wheat

« Reply #18 on: October 27, 2017, 04:27:35 PM »
I think the latest everdrive works for 32X. Or it seemed to on a YouTube video I watched a year ago.

From a forum member here. Gaming Quaterly.

On a side note I thought a bare bones 32X with cables went for $20-35.

Granted I’d recommend a 3rd party power cable that allowed for powering the 32x genesis ands sega cd (based on model types).

Medic_wheat

« Reply #19 on: October 27, 2017, 04:28:54 PM »

Bloufo

« Reply #20 on: October 27, 2017, 05:11:45 PM »
Granted I’d recommend a 3rd party power cable that allowed for powering the 32x genesis and sega cd (based on model types).

Yes. You kinda need that if you're looking to power up that whole contraption. Genesis/Sega CD/32X.
Having three separate PSU's is a pain in the butt.

Arkhan

• Fuck Elmer.
    • Incessant Negativity Software
« Reply #21 on: October 27, 2017, 07:54:46 PM »
I have the Mega Everdrive, and it doesn't f*cktard out on 32X games.

Sounds like bad dumps or something.
[Fri 19:34]<nectarsis> been wanting to try that one for awhile now Ope
[Fri 19:33]<Opethian> l;ol huge dong

I'm a max level Forum Warrior.  I'm immortal.
If you're not ready to defend your claims, don't post em.

crazydean

« Reply #22 on: October 28, 2017, 12:14:34 AM »
I have the Mega Everdrive, and it doesn't f*cktard out on 32X games.

Sounds like bad dumps or something.

I have the Mega Everdrive X7, no problem with 32X.

On an unrelated note, I've noticed a slightly reduced picture quality when using the 32X. Anyone else have this issue?

Also, I use three power supplies to power mine. The only one I saw that has all three is like $60. Is this the one you guys are talking about or is there a cheaper option?
Arkhan: Im not butthurt by your enjoyment.  Im buttglad.

Bloufo

« Reply #23 on: October 28, 2017, 12:44:39 AM »
On an unrelated note, I've noticed a slightly reduced picture quality when using the 32X. Anyone else have this issue?

How do you have it hooked up. Are we talking just Composite here?

Also, I use three power supplies to power mine. The only one I saw that has all three is like $60. Is this the one you guys are talking about or is there a cheaper option?

Not sure about current stock levels, but I got mine for half that from Retro Game Supply. Shipped from France.

crazydean

« Reply #24 on: October 28, 2017, 01:46:35 AM »

How do you have it hooked up. Are we talking just Composite here?

I use RGB via the same cable with just an adapter to switch between the model 1 and 32X. This way I can take it off and don't have to change out the whole cable.

Not sure about current stock levels, but I got mine for half that from Retro Game Supply. Shipped from France.

Wow. €20. That's a fair price. They're not in stock now but hopefully they will restock in the future.

ginoscope

« Reply #25 on: October 28, 2017, 04:03:21 AM »
I got a 32x as a trade recently for helping a friend repair one of his systems.  I just use an everdrive with it to try out all the games.

If you are into RGB I find that the 32x improves the video ever so slightly so that is probably the best thing I like about it.  I would highly recommend the cables from retrogamecave to avoid having so many power bricks.

BigusSchmuck

« Reply #26 on: October 28, 2017, 04:33:37 AM »
I thought about trying my luck and setting up the 32x on my Laseractive until I realized there wasn't an av out on the LA in order to do so. Would look pretty ridiculous anyway, but makes you wonder if the unit was halfway popular if Sega would've put out a device for it to work on a LA then you would have LA enhanced 32x games!

Bloufo

« Reply #27 on: October 28, 2017, 04:39:23 AM »
I would highly recommend the cables from retrogamecave to avoid having so many power bricks.
I see it's listed at $70 for that Sega Trio power supply. And that's excluding the shipping cost. For us international customers, they're asking $37 to ship one PSU.

Way more than some folks would like to pay. And I would agree with them.

crazydean

« Reply #28 on: October 28, 2017, 06:02:09 AM »
I got a 32x as a trade recently for helping a friend repair one of his systems.  I just use an everdrive with it to try out all the games.

If you are into RGB I find that the 32x improves the video ever so slightly so that is probably the best thing I like about it.  I would highly recommend the cables from retrogamecave to avoid having so many power bricks.

Hmm..weird that it actually improves your video quality.

As for that power supply. $70 is crazy. There's nothing in that PS that costs anywhere near that amount. It's just a classic case of gouging because people will pay. I'll just daisy chain an extra muti outlet. It only needs to handle about 4A or so at 10V.

GaijinD

« Reply #29 on: October 29, 2017, 02:31:43 PM »
I got my 32x for free and still feel like I overpaid. That said, the only games I have for it are Doom and Star Wars Arcade. Doom isn't the worst port, but really, there are so many other ways to play it that are better. Star Wars Arcade is decent, but it's pretty hard, though it is the only console port of a pretty obscure game. Apparently there were barely any cabinets in the US, which is odd considering that it's a Star Wars game. I thought it was a port of the '80s Atari game when I bought it.
Feel like a treasure game on a rainy day.