Author Topic: Need some dreamcast vga connection help  (Read 2510 times)

schweaty

Need some dreamcast vga connection help
« on: December 12, 2017, 03:15:46 PM »
Gents,

My 1st generation pioneer plasma has an 15-pin vga input labelled 'analog rgb' as a pc connection.  My question is, can i connect my dreamcast with a vga cable to this input?

I cant find much tech data on the pioneer tv.  I basically just need to know if tv manufacturers considered vga an analog rgb connection.  I know it isnt really, but that doesnt mean it wont work on this tv.  I just dont want to buy a decent dreamcast vga cable and not have it work

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N920A using Tapatalk

Bloufo

Re: Need some dreamcast vga connection help
« Reply #1 on: December 12, 2017, 04:31:04 PM »
I cant find much tech data on the pioneer tv.  I basically just need to know if tv manufacturers considered vga an analog rgb connection.  I know it isnt really, but that doesnt mean it wont work on this tv.  I just dont want to buy a decent dreamcast vga cable and not have it work

It should work.

Worst case scenario is you won't be out too much for a decent VGA cable. Too lazy to look now but I got mine off of Amazon a year or so back for about $15.

jperryss

« Reply #2 on: December 12, 2017, 11:47:49 PM »
I think it will work. VGA is an analog RGB (+HV) connection, right?

Lost Monkey

« Reply #3 on: December 13, 2017, 12:09:01 AM »
 My DC VGA cable has worked on every HD TV i have owned with a "PC" input. Go for it - DC VGA is awesome.

SuperDeadite

« Reply #4 on: December 13, 2017, 01:01:00 AM »
VGA = analog RGB
Stronger Than Your Average Deadite

SignOfZeta

« Reply #5 on: December 13, 2017, 03:07:48 AM »
Plug that shit in. This is exactly what it’s for.

Arkhan

• Fuck Elmer.
    • Incessant Negativity Software
« Reply #6 on: December 13, 2017, 04:57:17 AM »
SLIP IT INNNNNNNNNNNN

[Fri 19:34]<nectarsis> been wanting to try that one for awhile now Ope
[Fri 19:33]<Opethian> l;ol huge dong

I'm a max level Forum Warrior.  I'm immortal.
If you're not ready to defend your claims, don't post em.

seieienbu

« Reply #7 on: December 13, 2017, 05:43:21 AM »
I Love how DC included VGA support.  Probably my favorite thing about that entire console generation was turning my old PC monitor sideways and playing Ikaruga how it was originally intended with the best looking picture imaginable.

Post some screen shots after you hook it up!
Current want list:  Bomberman 93

SignOfZeta

« Reply #8 on: December 13, 2017, 05:48:31 AM »
Yeah, non-tate Ikaruga over composite is not the same thing. Rez, Shenmue, even Cannon Spike are a LOT different over lesser signals.

jperryss

« Reply #9 on: December 13, 2017, 06:47:53 AM »
I'm going to use this thread to ask a DC-VGA question since you guys seem knowledgeable.

I'm using my Dreamcast with a SCART RGB cable plugged into my PVM, so everything is 480i. But my PVM can also display 640x480 and I want to be able to switch the DC's output to VGA mode when playing a game that supports it. Is that possible?

If not, is it possible to use the VGA cable and wire a switch to force it back to 480i?

I've already tested RGBHV on my PVM by using a T-adapter to combine the syncs. I'm trying to avoid having to swap cables whenever I play a game that doesn't support VGA mode. If there's no easy solution, I'll connect the VGA cable to my VGA monitor and just swap the cable as needed.

SignOfZeta

« Reply #10 on: December 13, 2017, 07:32:10 AM »
The DC can be tricked into doing different video modes with special boot discs but I don’t know about VGA. There’s some circuitry in a VGA box and I don’t know if it’s all to the audio or not. The DC itself may not be able to make a VGA signal. I’m thinking probably not.

schweaty

« Reply #11 on: December 13, 2017, 08:09:41 AM »
Thanks guys!  Im going to jam that shit in prison-style

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N920A using Tapatalk

bartre

« Reply #12 on: December 13, 2017, 08:28:59 AM »
The DC can be tricked into doing different video modes with special boot discs but I don’t know about VGA. There’s some circuitry in a VGA box and I don’t know if it’s all to the audio or not. The DC itself may not be able to make a VGA signal. I’m thinking probably not.

yeah boot discs can trick the DC into outputting VGA video on games that don't support it
lots of games have patched versions that can be burned and played that way too.

here's a list of games:
https://www.epforums.org/showthread.php?56169-Dreamcast-VGA-Compatability-list-amp-Guide

SignOfZeta

« Reply #13 on: December 13, 2017, 08:57:46 AM »
Yes, you don’t even need to patch them, I have more than one boot disc that just lets you pick. However he’s asking if you can get the DC to put out a 480p RGB signal over the SCART, with no VGA box. That’s what I’m wondering about.

Edit: http://www.mmmonkey.co.uk/dreamcast-internal-vga-mod/

There you go.
« Last Edit: December 13, 2017, 08:59:46 AM by SignOfZeta »

bartre

« Reply #14 on: December 13, 2017, 09:52:58 AM »
ah, hadn't read that post

it's tough to say exactly without telling you to hack up your cable and try it, cuz i'm not exactly an electrican.
but I'd imagine a SPDT switch to go between grounding pins 6&7 would work.

but before doing that, I'd check to see if the cable has all the pins, a lot of DC video cables only have the ones they need.