Author Topic: PC Engine GT - Controller Board  (Read 7248 times)

bdoi

Re: PC Engine GT - Controller board clone
« Reply #15 on: May 30, 2021, 04:39:58 AM »
Good job!
The comlynx isn't working any more on your new board?
Do you have the reference to order to complete your board?
« Last Edit: May 30, 2021, 05:00:14 AM by bdoi »

tawy

« Reply #16 on: May 31, 2021, 05:00:17 AM »
These look amazing!  I like that you used actual pads instead of the carbon trace stuff for the turbo switches, that was one of the big issues I had with mine not working correctly previously.
I think carbon traces are used for a good reason. Maybe to avoid corrosion and have a better conductivity with the carbon pads, and yes, the pcb looks good, i'm pretty proud of it :)
the engineers of those consoles certainly knew that some of the components will suffer of the time. they were betting on a lifetime of a few years, having some carbon traces not working and leaked capacitor after 30 years is not much of a surprise...

on my original controller board, the CC800 capacitor leaked all over the PCB and the carbon traces of the turbo switch button 1 just disappear with some traces around the cap (the ones with carbon bridges). the liquid from a cap + carbon = copper destroyed  :bonkthis:

@bdoi
Yes, its the component to make a PCEngine 1P controller, no surprises :
47k 8P4R x2 or 0603 x8
1SS187 SOT23 package x1
74HC163 SOP16 packagex1
74HC157 SOP16 package x1
1N4148WT SOD523 package x4 (maybe not necessary, only needed if you want to do a external controller mod)
FPC FFC Flat Cable+Connector 12P
CC800 > 47uF 6.3v cap
C800 > 10nF 0805 cap

the 0603/8P4R and sod523 are tiny, i could use another package resistors/diodes but thoses ones looks better and fits well around the HC157.
« Last Edit: May 31, 2021, 05:15:02 AM by tawy »

MasterofBiscuits

« Reply #17 on: June 03, 2021, 10:10:17 AM »
Controller board made. it fits perfectly ;)
I have made a mistake with button 1 and 2 on the plug and play version, this first batch of need a little rerouting to work like you can see on the pictures.
If someone need one, i can sell a "faulty PCB" or 15€ totally plug and play with all component soldered and the modification to invert BUT1 and BUT2 to its original way.

I also made a PCB of the first model, the clone of the original board. I can sell it for 5€, you'll need to unsolder every component of the original board to transfert it to this new one.
With every component soldered (without the principal chip BU5782K), i can sell one for 12€ one PCB.

I am waiting for the audio jack and speaker connector to finish the boards.

If anyone want a gold ENIG version of the PCB with everything corrected, let me know and i will make for those who are interested.
they will cost something like 20€ for the plug and play version.

Awesome work - put me down for one complete board!

Will you be making the gerbers available? I'm just getting into PCB design and this would be a cool project to look at.

tawy

« Reply #18 on: June 03, 2021, 12:17:46 PM »
i will not put the gerber available. it is not difficult to do it, but it took me some time and i know if i release the gerber people will sell them.
that is the reason why i sell them not too expensive. the next version of the pcb will have my signature on it, CC800+C800 changed to a single cap, button 1 & 2 corrected.
if you want info about pcb design i can help you, on the beginning i designed a pcb board as i would on photoshop, but if you want to do it right, you have to do the schematics first, if you follow your schematics and have the right dimensions of your board, doing the traces is easy, eagle pcb (and every pcb design tool) have an 'autoroute' function that can help you a lot.
in fact, if you copy a schematics of a video game console on eagle (or any hardware known schematics), redesign a PCB board on your needs and use the autoroute function, you can do a custom console with the real hardware pretty easily.

i am waiting for the finals components, 2 connectors only :-/

MasterofBiscuits

« Reply #19 on: June 03, 2021, 03:17:33 PM »
i will not put the gerber available. it is not difficult to do it, but it took me some time and i know if i release the gerber people will sell them.
that is the reason why i sell them not too expensive. the next version of the pcb will have my signature on it, CC800+C800 changed to a single cap, button 1 & 2 corrected.
if you want info about pcb design i can help you, on the beginning i designed a pcb board as i would on photoshop, but if you want to do it right, you have to do the schematics first, if you follow your schematics and have the right dimensions of your board, doing the traces is easy, eagle pcb (and every pcb design tool) have an 'autoroute' function that can help you a lot.
in fact, if you copy a schematics of a video game console on eagle (or any hardware known schematics), redesign a PCB board on your needs and use the autoroute function, you can do a custom console with the real hardware pretty easily.

i am waiting for the finals components, 2 connectors only :-/

I understand, I don't blame you for that at all as I could see someone making and selling them on Ebay!

I have made a few PCBs, mostly simple ones (I've done my own RGB amp as I use a lot of them and I got tired of having to buy them) and it was a lot of fun. So I have a grip on the process of schematic -> PCB and using vias and track layouts, but at a basic level. Maybe I will have a go at my own version. How do you go about measuring the locations of buttons etc? Do you use a vernier scale?

tawy

« Reply #20 on: June 07, 2021, 06:02:41 AM »
How do you go about measuring the locations of buttons etc? Do you use a vernier scale?
This is the funny part :)
I just use a scanner. You can import a image file ans use it as a template on your pcb tool. I scan the PCB board with all the component, but it you want a perfect 1:1 you'll have to remove everything or the scan will be a little bit blurry.
but with a blurry picture and a ruler, you can have a convincing clone :)

tawy

« Reply #21 on: June 08, 2021, 06:26:08 PM »
board finished, pm me if you want a complete plug and play controller board.
i will put some pictures later ;)

tawy

« Reply #22 on: June 23, 2021, 03:31:02 AM »
1st print PCB
fully fonctionnal (no comlink), rerouting of the traces done, 15€

New version PCB
No mistake on the PCB, pads added for external controller mod, Hudson Soft bee added :) little correction made : replacement of connector and the 2 cap by only one, 2 screw hole removed (not used) 20€

Thank you

PIXeL_92

« Reply #23 on: June 30, 2021, 08:47:49 AM »
@tawy

Hi,

Are these still for sale? I have imported a handful of the GTs in from Japan and one of the controller boards is toast.

Battery leaked all over the board and I started to clean it with IPA and all the carbon traces decided to come off.

https://ibb.co/Gn3s63B
https://ibb.co/BBy0S5z

Also on the off chance you don't have a spare d pad button you would cosider selling too?

What are the costs with the comlink shipped to the UK?

Thanks
« Last Edit: June 30, 2021, 08:51:31 AM by PIXeL_92 »

tawy

« Reply #24 on: June 30, 2021, 09:55:44 AM »
wow ! you definitely need a new controller board  :lol:
pm

mnaty

« Reply #25 on: July 21, 2021, 10:51:50 PM »

are you still producing/selling?

this version of the board is not very interesting, removing the chip and put it on a new one is not noob friendly.
when i have to do the new one, with the 74hc163 and 74hc157, it will be plug and play.

i wanted to fill all the blank space with a big picture, it's perfect :D

Nitekrawlur

« Reply #26 on: December 17, 2021, 10:37:47 PM »
Hello, I am in need of a new controller board for my pc engine gt. Can anyone direct me to where to purchase one?
Thank you

OtakuHK

« Reply #27 on: January 21, 2022, 01:59:58 AM »
Hi. I would also be interested in a board. Please let me know how to purchase one.

Kind regards

tawy

« Reply #28 on: February 24, 2022, 12:09:16 PM »
Thanks to everyone who bought me boards.
I have done a few new batches revision to make them easier to produce and are more reliable for the customer.

The first version (green) have the option for external controller mod and can only be connected on the ffc connector
The second version have no external controller mod anymore and no diode. no mistake can be made with the tiny SOD523 diodes :evil: I produced blue ones and soldered some of of them with the ffc cable directly to the PCB, it works well, tested OK, but i m working blind... i don't like it.
The last version is the same but this time i will solder a FFC connector. they are black and look cool :)

I don't have 1:1 clone anymore, i produced only 10 and all of them are sold, if anyone wants one, please tell me.
« Last Edit: June 20, 2022, 04:34:58 AM by tawy »

OtakuHK

« Reply #29 on: February 28, 2022, 09:47:32 AM »
I would like one without external controller mod to replace a broken one in my GT.