Author Topic: TG16 topping the VC charts!?  (Read 2004 times)

Joe Redifer

Re: TG16 topping the VC charts!?
« Reply #15 on: January 22, 2007, 12:43:03 PM »
I think that question should be the other way around.

Black Tiger

« Reply #16 on: January 22, 2007, 01:35:20 PM »
One of the comments in that Joystiq article made a very good point: one of the bigger reasons why people are downloading TG16 games more than Nintendo and Genesis.  Unlike Nintendo and Genesis, Hudson doesn't repackage their games for newer consoles every 5 years.  The TG16 games were only released once on the TG16 and never repackaged for future consoles.

Let's also not forget about the excellent multiplayer opportunities for Bomberman '93 and Dungeon Explorer. :wink:

It leaves me thinking that maybe...just maybe, the TurboGrafx-16 will regain its long lost popularity within the mainstream video gaming community and perhaps even surpass it. :)

But is the VC popular with the mainstream gaming community (I have no idea)?  That has to happen first :)

OD

All I know is that the Wii has been sold out in my area since it was released. I got mine buy paying twice the retail price. The PS3 however, has been in stock at every store I've visited since it came out.

When the Wii was released though, it seemed like stores had way too many Wii points cards, -cabinets were overflowing with them. But for the last 2 - 3(+?) weeks or so, the points cards are sold out absolutely everywhere, except one 'hardcore' specialty shop out in the boonies that stockpiles everything.

People must be using those Wii points for something and the VC is pretty much all you can use them for at the moment. I really didn't expect this to happen.
http://www.superpcenginegrafx.net/forum

Active and drama free PC Engine forum

Black Tiger

« Reply #17 on: January 22, 2007, 01:41:25 PM »
What do we have that Japan doesn't? a slightly different version of magical chase? Startropics II? seriously, what?

Order Of The Griffon, R-Type USA, Ghost Manor, Night Creatures, Falcon, Gunboat, Darkwing Duck, Yo Bro, Talespin... -but I was talking strictly Turbo.

Some of the SNES & Genesis exclusives could make the switch and any game that's kinda different over here could be retitled with 'International Edition' or 'USA' in the name to get crazy Japaners to buy the same game thrice.

Joe Redifer

« Reply #18 on: January 22, 2007, 05:36:38 PM »
Don't download too many games.  The Wii can hold less than 30 or so VC games before it is completely full.  Check out this post made by a legitimate Nintendo fanboy over at Magic Box:

Nintendo has a giant problem on their hands.  The Wii comes with 512MB of internal memory.  Dont get me wrong, this is alot of memory if we were just talking game saves, and would be very hard for the average user to fill up in the consoles life span.

VC screws the whole thing up though.  There are currently 42 VC games out.  I did some math and came out with the average "blocks" that each type of game eats up.

NES - 92
SNES - 127
Genesis - 100
TG16 - 100
N64 - 162

The Wii's 512MB internal translates to roughly 2700 blocks.  Agian, MAYBE all fine and dandy if that memory was just for VC games and your talking about an average user.  But your forced to use this memory for EVERYTHING the Wii does.  Game Saves, Channels (Weather, Internet, News), and VC Games.  It starts adding up very fast.

To give you an idea I own 1 NES game, 1 Genesis game and 2 SNES games.  I have saves for 6 Wii games.  I am already down to 1900 blocks (i have room for only 15 more SNES games  :crying:  )

This would have all been fine if the Wii could directly save to the SD card allowing VC Titles and Game Saves to boot directly.  But the way its setup a SD card is for backup purposes only.  Games cant even access the SD slot, and VC games completly dissapear from your channel menu when put on there.

The 42 VC titles out right now total to 4290 blocks.  You can buy a little over half of the VC games before your Wii is maxed out.  Maxed out, no more VC games, no more saves, no more extra channels, done.

What Nintendo wants you to do is copy VC games over to your SD card when your not using them (completly rendering them unplayable).  So not only is my dream of having pages of the golden classics on my Wii impossible, but
.  No way in hell im doing that.  I'm hassled when I have to get up and put another game in the disc drive.

I'm going to try and be optimistic here and say "they will fix the issue with a later firmware upgrade".  Here is the deal:  If enough VC games come out that I really want to fill up my Wii before this problem is fixed I am offically pissed at Nintendo.

I was surprised to see him post this since he really is a Nintendo fanboy, but he has a lot of excellent points that can't be ignored.

Keranu

« Reply #19 on: January 22, 2007, 07:38:36 PM »
You'll be ok if you have an SD card. Just copy the files to your SD card (and then onto your computer) and when your Wii's internal memory is full, swap games.
Quote from: Bonknuts
Adding PCE console specific layer on top of that, makes for an interesting challenge (no, not a reference to Ys II).

Joe Redifer

« Reply #20 on: January 22, 2007, 09:55:09 PM »
Sounds like more of a pain in the ass to me, especially with how slow the Wii copies stuff back and forth to the cards (slower than a 14.4 modem).  If you like things being a pain in the ass, you should enjoy it.  But then again I own all of the games I'd want to play on the VC, so I see no reason to download anything.

FM-77

« Reply #21 on: January 23, 2007, 04:37:57 AM »
Nintendo has failed... again.

As usual.

Keranu

« Reply #22 on: January 23, 2007, 05:40:28 AM »
But then again I own all of the games I'd want to play on the VC, so I see no reason to download anything.
Well that's exactly the point :D . Unless you focus on making the VC your absolute main source of gaming, then yeah it might be a bit of a drag for you to transfer files like that, but you should be lucky that you're able to safely back them up to SD cards at all.

Quote from: Seldane
Nintendo has failed... again.

As usual.
Yes this has only helped Nintnedo's sales... again.

As usual. ;)
Adding PCE console specific layer on top of that, makes for an interesting challenge (no, not a reference to Ys II).

GUTS

« Reply #23 on: January 23, 2007, 07:14:51 AM »
Wow you paid twice the retail for a Wii?  Damn I hope you're enjoying waving that controller around man.

Sounds like typical Nintendo bullshit, f*cking its fans over right and left like usual.

Keranu

« Reply #24 on: January 23, 2007, 10:05:33 AM »
Wow you paid twice the retail for a Wii?  Damn I hope you're enjoying waving that controller around man.

Sounds like typical Nintendo bullshit, f*cking its fans over right and left like usual.
Dude get over the fact already that Nintendo has made a huge come back this generation in sales. It's obviously not just a fanboy system because the damn thing is selling out everywhere. Whether you like it or not, this is a fact.

Black Tiger

« Reply #25 on: January 23, 2007, 11:29:42 AM »
Hopefully they'll update the Wii in the future to transfer faster and maybe make a special (usb?)memory card or storage unit accessory that speeds things up.

The memory contraints issue was something I was worried about before getting a Wii, but some other people said that there was more than enough memory.  :(

If I do end up buying SD cards for my Turbo games, I'm going to make them Turbochip style labels.  :P

Black Tiger

« Reply #26 on: January 23, 2007, 11:33:44 AM »

Well, it depends on how you look at it. I gave someone twice the retail price in cash for it, but received the retail price of one in cash as a X-Mas/B-Day gift, earmarked for a Wii purchase only... along with a points card and a couple Wii games.

So I felt obligated to buy one relatively soon and I'd planned on buying one out of my own pocket at some point anyway.

It's still more bang for the buck than I'd get out of a PS3 right now.

FM-77

« Reply #27 on: January 23, 2007, 11:43:59 AM »
The Gamecube sold out when it was new as well. What happened after a while? Nintendo failed. As usual. It will happen again.

Keranu

« Reply #28 on: January 23, 2007, 01:14:03 PM »
The Gamecube sold out when it was new as well. What happened after a while? Nintendo failed. As usual. It will happen again.
As usual, Seldane's opinions supposedly equal facts :P . I don't know what things are like in Sweden, but out here in America I don't remember the Gamecube being nearly as big as the Wii when it launched.

Black Tiger

« Reply #29 on: January 23, 2007, 02:11:10 PM »

The NES and SNES were released and what happened after a while? Nintendo succeeded.

If you're talking curent gaming though, Nintendo's number one worldwide right now. If they can make the DS succeed (even with the PSP out) they can do the same with the Wii.