Author Topic: TG16 topping the VC charts!?  (Read 2005 times)

Keranu

Re: TG16 topping the VC charts!?
« Reply #45 on: January 24, 2007, 12:13:43 PM »
The Wii will fail because in one or two years, people won't stand it because of the horrible graphics compared to the then awesome and incredible-looking PS3 games (and yes, the Xbox 360 games will be slightly better looking than the Wii games by then as well).  :wink: :wink: :wink: Also, by then, the gimmick is not interesting anymore. Nintendo will have to make more gimmicks, like voice-controlled games (MARIO! JUMP! JUMP DAMN YOU!) etc etc.
Is it not possible that Wii graphics will get better overtime as well? This hasn't stopped other consoles in the past, such as the Genesis. And who says the gimmick won't be interesting anymore ;) ? Unless you're a super psychic cybornetic ninja fighter, then I won't take your word on that  :mrgreen: .

To further comment about the Wiimote being a gimmick, who says all games are going to be gimmicky? In fact the new Super Smash Bros supposedly isn't even going to use the Wiimote, which is a Nintendo franchise even. Also the new Fire Emblem as far as I can tell isn't going to utilize the Wiimote's abilities either, another Nintendo franchise. Further more do you guys remember when the DS was first out and it was being highly critized for it's gimmicky dual screens, touching abilities, and microphone? That didn't stop the DS to become the monster it is today, did it? ;) To me, the Wii utilizes it's gimmick much better than the DS did so I can only hope and assume that the Wii will be an even bigger success. And lastly I remember when all the Wii haters were saying how the Wii was going to flop once it was out, but all I ever read about is how much the Wii is selling out all over the world. So if the Wii proved the haters wrong once, can it not do it again?  8)

Quote from: Necromancer
The low res graphics, game selection, and lack of adequate storage space (i.e. hard drive) will likely keep the Wii from becoming number one.  The GameCube's library is tiny compared to ps2 or even xbox (except kids games).  Although Wii isn't at the top of the heap, it still is innovative, has fun games, and is profitable.  The GameCube is often considered a failure, but Nintendo's the only one turning a profit on hardware and software.
From what I hear, more third parties are joining Nintendo and more are leaving Sony, so we'll see what happens :) .

Quote from: guyjin
I seriously think all future videogame controllers will be imitations or evolutions of the wiimote, much like modern controllers are all evolutions of the NES controller.
Good point. Nintendo has done multiple innovating controller features that competitors have copied before; NES controller, SNES controller, rumble pack, and more recently, Sony suddenly adding motion abilities to their PS3 controllers long after Nintendo announced their plans :) .
Quote from: Bonknuts
Adding PCE console specific layer on top of that, makes for an interesting challenge (no, not a reference to Ys II).

Necromancer

• Global Moderator
Re: TG16 topping the VC charts!?
« Reply #46 on: January 25, 2007, 02:13:52 AM »
From what I hear, more third parties are joining Nintendo and more are leaving Sony, so we'll see what happens :) .

I hope this actually happens, but I remember hearing the same story after release of the GameCube.  While there is a definite improvement in third party support for the 'cube over the n64, there is no comparison to the ps2 or xbox - especially for games not aimed at the kiddies.

To further further comment about the Wiimote being a gimmick - motion sensing is a gimmick, but this isn't necessarily a bad thing.  Here is a definition of gimmick from Wikipedia (the undisputed reference site that is never wrong  :^o):

Gimmick: A gimmick is a unique or quirky special feature that makes something "stand out" from its contemporaries. Product gimmicks are sometimes considered mere novelties, and not really that relevant to the product's functioning. However, some seemingly trivial gimmicks of the past have evolved into useful, permanent features.

I tend to agree with this definition.  Nintendo has hyped motion sensing, but as Keranu mentioned -plenty of games won't even use the ability, nor do they need to.  Twilight Princess is a good example of motion sensing being useful, but not required.  Aiming with the Wiimote is easier, but the GameCube version is not unplayable.  The unfortunate aspect of motion sensing is that it has little to do with the console.  Even though Nintendo has made the sensor bar separate, most of the functionality is in the controller.  I don't see any reason why Microsoft or Sony couldn't sell similar controllers for use with their consoles (coming soon to a store near nobody - Mattel's Power Glove II for xbox360  :roll:).

Gibbering rant over - now where'd I put my 2 cents?
U.S. Collection: 97% complete    155/159 titles