Author Topic: TG16 topping the VC charts!?  (Read 2008 times)

Keranu

Re: TG16 topping the VC charts!?
« Reply #30 on: January 23, 2007, 02:26:31 PM »
In fact in Japan, the Wii has outsold the DS in the week of January 8 - 14th. Check out this interesting Japanese sales chart (yes it's only one country, but it still has fun statistics to read):

1. ) Wii - 93,708
2. ) Nintendo DS Lite - 89,287
3. ) PlayStation Portable - 48,804
4. ) PlayStation 3 - 25,531
5. ) PlayStation 2 - 22,663
6. ) Xbox 360 - 9,035

Source: http://www.wiisworld.com/wii-news/wii-overtakes-ds-in-japan.html
Quote from: Bonknuts
Adding PCE console specific layer on top of that, makes for an interesting challenge (no, not a reference to Ys II).

Black Tiger

« Reply #31 on: January 23, 2007, 02:33:02 PM »
In fact in Japan, the Wii has outsold the DS in the week of January 8 - 14th. Check out this interesting Japanese sales chart (yes it's only one country, but it still has fun statistics to read):

1. ) Wii - 93,708
2. ) Nintendo DS Lite - 89,287
3. ) PlayStation Portable - 48,804
4. ) PlayStation 3 - 25,531
5. ) PlayStation 2 - 22,663
6. ) Xbox 360 - 9,035

Source: http://www.wiisworld.com/wii-news/wii-overtakes-ds-in-japan.html

Plus look at software sales for the last year. It's a special acheivement for more than one or two non-Nintendo system games to break the top ten.
http://www.superpcenginegrafx.net/forum

Active and drama free PC Engine forum

Joe Redifer

« Reply #32 on: January 23, 2007, 02:35:11 PM »
Actually Microsoft is number one right now since they have sold about 6 million more Xbox360's than Wii's.  Unless, of course, you count portable gaming.   But those aren't REAL games.  They're just a diversion.

Keranu

« Reply #33 on: January 23, 2007, 02:43:00 PM »
Microsoft's XBox 360 also had a year start. Give the Wii an extra year and I think it will still have higher sales.
Adding PCE console specific layer on top of that, makes for an interesting challenge (no, not a reference to Ys II).

GUTS

« Reply #34 on: January 23, 2007, 02:54:59 PM »
The N64 had almost exactly the same start as the Wii.  Sold out everywhere, only 1 game worth playing, and then a huge software drought until finally nobody cared anymore and the only reason to own one was the few Mario games and Zelda.  That's the future of the Wii.

The DS on the other hand is actually a worthwhile system with a wide selection of awesome games so it deserves every bit of success it has.

Keranu

« Reply #35 on: January 23, 2007, 03:04:46 PM »
The N64 had almost exactly the same start as the Wii.  Sold out everywhere, only 1 game worth playing, and then a huge software drought until finally nobody cared anymore and the only reason to own one was the few Mario games and Zelda.  That's the future of the Wii.
You could apply what Black_Tiger posted here saying that the NES and SNES became huge after some time of their release. Sure the Wii could fail once time goes by, but it could also continue the great success it has received thus far. A Mario game hasn't even been released yet and this could just help Wii sales even more.

Quote from: GUTS
The DS on the other hand is actually a worthwhile system with a wide selection of awesome games so it deserves every bit of success it has.
You've brought up an excellent point for me to make, thank you :D . The DS had a rough start too! Myself and many people I talked to thought the DS was just a wacky, retarded portable when it first came out and thought it was going to flat out fail. A year later the DS explodes with gaming goodness and because the top selling portable on the market.

Black Tiger

« Reply #36 on: January 23, 2007, 03:08:50 PM »

If no more good games than what's already anounced come out within the next couple years, then yeah, it shouldn't do well.

Even if the Wii isn't everything it should be, I think that the DS's image will help the Wii do a lot better than if the DS didn't exist.

Plus, instead of the olden days of making portable versions of hit games to push handheld sales, the Wii can benefit from consolized versions of hit DS games. Even if they're crap they'll sell if they're popluar. The average game player doesn't buy quality. Licenses and gimmicks sell.

But everyone's trying to use past examples to show how things are definitely going to go down. That logic wouldn't have worked for the Saturn or the N64. Every 'generation' is different.

If anything, as long as each new system gets decent support, all consoles from now on will be viable. Now more than ever, you don't have to be number one to make a ton of money.

Joe Redifer

« Reply #37 on: January 23, 2007, 03:23:42 PM »
Quote from: Keranu
Microsoft's XBox 360 also had a year start. Give the Wii an extra year and I think it will still have higher sales.

But what if the Xbox360 still has more consoles sold 3 years from now?  Wii fanboys will still cry out "But the 360 had a year head start so it doesn't count.  Waah!  Waaah!"  It will never end until Nintendo pulls forward, even if the 360 has only 1 more console sold than the Wii.  Yes, one.

GUTS

« Reply #38 on: January 23, 2007, 03:24:28 PM »
The difference with the DS is that it actually advanced the Gameboy in a logical direction by adding a touch screen and vastly superior graphics along with the GBA controls and a couple extra buttons.  The Wii doesn't advance anything, it just adds motion control that has already been tried a million times to a Gamecube.  The Wii is based entirely around a gimmick; its not just a feature of the system, the gimmick IS the system.

Keranu

« Reply #39 on: January 23, 2007, 03:45:15 PM »
The difference with the DS is that it actually advanced the Gameboy in a logical direction by adding a touch screen and vastly superior graphics along with the GBA controls and a couple extra buttons.  The Wii doesn't advance anything, it just adds motion control that has already been tried a million times to a Gamecube.  The Wii is based entirely around a gimmick; its not just a feature of the system, the gimmick IS the system.
Well gimmick or not, the Wii has proven to be fun to many people so far. I don't know which games used motion control for Gamecube, but I admit motion control, pointing, and whatever else is in the damn Wiimote isn't exactly new. However the Wii is the first system to actually put all of these various devices together into one controller to make a new way of playing games.

Even for games that don't utilize the Wiimote much, like Zelda, I still find to be fun. The only difference in the attack system in the Wii version of Zelda to the Gamecube is that you swing the remote to attack instead of pushing the button. No special direction for attacks, no strength sensoring, nothing new. However even the simple swing on the Wiimote attack makes the Wii version of Zelda feel new and fun to me and has actually gotten me to feel like I am in the game a few times (one boss was pissing me off, so I literally started swinging harder and what not even though it wouldn't effect the swing). On a side note, I found the way you do the spin attack in Wii Zelda by spinning the nunchuck to feel a lot smoother and be more efficient than holding down a button. Don't even get me started on how much more a prefer actually aiming precise arrow shots with a remote than a analog ;) .

Now Zelda was a game that was originally designed for Gamecube and wasn't designed with the Wii controls in mind, so the Wii version of Zelda could've been even nicer than it was. But Zelda is one thing and games like Wii Sports is another. A game like Wii Sports is clearly designed for the Wii and really takes advantage of the Wiimote's abilities. Never before have I been able to interact with a game so well before in my life. When I play Tennis, it damn well feels like I'm playing Tennis 8) . I can smack a home run, swing a club on a beautiful course, or punch a silly looking guy to threads all in the comfort of my living room. What if I am too tired to play? Easy, I can still play when I sit down. This is what I especially love about a game like Wii Sports. When my body feels tired from jumping around smacking balls, I can sit down and play the games in a different, but more relaxing way. It's honestly one of the greatest video game experiences I've ever had.

And Wii Sports is just a demo title showing what the Wiimote is capable of. I can't wait until they make something like Mario Tennis for Wii where it plays like real tennis but contains stuff you could never do in real tennis, like launch turtle shells across the court and burn opponents with fireballs. From what I've read about the new Wario Ware game for Wii, it makes the best use of the Wiimote yet and really adds more fun to the system.

FM-77

« Reply #40 on: January 23, 2007, 10:50:10 PM »
The Wii will fail because in one or two years, people won't stand it because of the horrible graphics compared to the then awesome and incredible-looking PS3 games (and yes, the Xbox 360 games will be slightly better looking than the Wii games by then as well).  :wink: :wink: :wink: Also, by then, the gimmick is not interesting anymore. Nintendo will have to make more gimmicks, like voice-controlled games (MARIO! JUMP! JUMP DAMN YOU!) etc etc.

Black Tiger

« Reply #41 on: January 24, 2007, 12:30:31 AM »
The Wii will fail because in one or two years, people won't stand it because of the horrible graphics compared to the then awesome and incredible-looking PS3 games (and yes, the Xbox 360 games will be slightly better looking than the Wii games by then as well).  :wink: :wink: :wink: Also, by then, the gimmick is not interesting anymore. Nintendo will have to make more gimmicks, like voice-controlled games (MARIO! JUMP! JUMP DAMN YOU!) etc etc.

I guess then that the PSP will put the DS out of business within a year or two as well.  :wink:

FM-77

« Reply #42 on: January 24, 2007, 01:55:11 AM »
Nah that's what the GP2X is for! :wink:

Necromancer

• Global Moderator
« Reply #43 on: January 24, 2007, 02:32:32 AM »
The low res graphics, game selection, and lack of adequate storage space (i.e. hard drive) will likely keep the Wii from becoming number one.  The GameCube's library is tiny compared to ps2 or even xbox (except kids games).  Although Wii isn't at the top of the heap, it still is innovative, has fun games, and is profitable.  The GameCube is often considered a failure, but Nintendo's the only one turning a profit on hardware and software.
U.S. Collection: 97% complete    155/159 titles

guyjin

« Reply #44 on: January 24, 2007, 11:05:34 AM »
I'm sick of people calling the wiimote a gimmick... Next person who calls it that gets on the wrong end of this: http://www.hackaday.com/2007/01/24/wiibot-armed-and-pointy/

I seriously think all future videogame controllers will be imitations or evolutions of the wiimote, much like modern controllers are all evolutions of the NES controller.
"Fun is a strong word." - SNK
"Today, people do all kind of shit." - Tatsujin