Author Topic: Sega's best console  (Read 3371 times)

gundarN

Re: Sega's best console
« Reply #15 on: April 12, 2007, 07:14:07 PM »
I think the Mega Drive is a better "retro" console than the SNES; but the Saturn is cooler. I do like an underdog.

Kitsunexus

« Reply #16 on: April 14, 2007, 10:51:12 AM »
I can't choose, I like them all.

ccovell

« Reply #17 on: April 15, 2007, 12:00:02 AM »
For the time (1988/1989) the MD/Genesis was the closest thing to having an arcade in your home as a console.  Barring the low colour count, it was really powerful.

DC was quite impressive (great hardware), Saturn was disappointing (so-so hardware but great games).  But the Genesis was the only Sega system to have a strong run and a pretty decent lifespan.

Digi.k

« Reply #18 on: April 16, 2007, 06:18:51 AM »
bitter sweet memories of Sega consoles but these are my favourites :

Saturn (mostly beaause a lot of games on there especially the import scene has some timeless classics) and I would consider the saturn as a successor to the pc engine.

followed by Dreamcast (mostly because of jet set radio (jet grind) Soul Calibur, Shenmue and Phantasy Star Online

nodtveidt

« Reply #19 on: April 16, 2007, 05:18:44 PM »
Gotta go with the Genesis, largest number of games I wanted so it was an easy pick. :D

Phantasy Star 2-3 (never played #4)
PLEASE do yourself the favor and play PS4. Out of all the PS games, it's most similar to PS2, right down to the "when is this story gonna end?" style of storytelling.

termis

« Reply #20 on: April 16, 2007, 07:08:55 PM »
PLEASE do yourself the favor and play PS4. Out of all the PS games, it's most similar to PS2, right down to the "when is this story gonna end?" style of storytelling.

Yeah, Phantasy Star IV was really good.  The only minus for that game was that it was just way too easy compared to the prequels.  Earlier PSs had some BRUTAL dungeons (especially II) and it took awhile to finish those, but I blasted through PS4 in a just a few days...  But as we're all adults now and may not have tons of time to put in a game anymore, that might not be such a bad thing anymore.   :-k

FM-77

« Reply #21 on: April 17, 2007, 12:33:46 AM »
I've been meaning to get PS4 for over ten years, but it has yet to happen. I'm not sure why. Please sell it to me. :P

Digi.k

« Reply #22 on: April 17, 2007, 02:21:27 AM »
Phantasy Star IV is excellent! I think PSIII was the worst in the series...

I just wished that sega usa released the Phantasy star collection for sega saturn in the usa which would have been a good chance to see it released in the UK.. (Saturn PS collection featured all the phantasy star games (including the sega Mark III version of ps1, beastiary and japanese tv commercials)... >.>

FM-77

« Reply #23 on: April 17, 2007, 02:56:17 AM »
Phantasy Star III is my favorite... It's not anime-ish like almost all the other japanese RPGs, which is a very good thing in my opinion. I absolutely LOVE the monster artwork in PS III. The music is great too, and the plot. I think everything about that game is excellent.

runinruder

« Reply #24 on: April 17, 2007, 03:29:24 AM »
I liked 3 well enough, but 2 is my favorite.  I loved those huge, difficult dungeons. 
www.thebrothersduomazov.com - Reviews of over 400 TurboGrafx-16/PC-Engine games

Kitsunexus

« Reply #25 on: April 17, 2007, 03:43:19 AM »
What about Shining Force 2?

FM-77

« Reply #26 on: April 17, 2007, 04:31:43 AM »
Only played Shining Force 1... which is the only strategy rpg I've played and enjoyed.

Digi.k

« Reply #27 on: April 17, 2007, 07:03:41 AM »
What about Shining Force 2?

a Very good strategy RPG that should keep you gripped till the end.. the first one was alright too (which both have been remade for the GBA) and so was Shining in the Darkness again on Genesis/megadrive

Shining force III came out on the saturn and was released on 3 seperate discs to accomodate the huuuuge story but only the first part got translated and released in the west..

The sequel-ish to Shining in the Darkness was Shining in the Holy Ark again for the sega saturn... which although I thought was a very good game it had some ugly rendered monsters..

see a vid here:

« Last Edit: April 17, 2007, 07:07:33 AM by Digi.k »

_joshuaTurbo

• Global Moderator
« Reply #28 on: April 17, 2007, 09:38:54 AM »
Saturn.

It was the TG16 of the 32/64 era.

FM-77

« Reply #29 on: April 17, 2007, 09:58:55 AM »
Shining the Holy Ark rules. One of my favorites for the Saturn. Ugly enemies and other characters, though.